PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Transmission Dip Stick: Manual VS Automatic?

Silverhawk59
07-10-2017, 06:24 AM
I have a 1960 automatic Lark Model 8 Borg Warner tranny I'm gonna put into my 1959 manual Silver Hawk. I've noticed the automatic tranny has a tranny dip stick access lid on the top of it, which I assume was accessible through the passenger floor. I looked at my manual Hawk tranny through the access on the tranny floor hump but didn't see a dip stick access on my manual tranny. Since I'll be taking the manual tranny out, will I have to drill out and install an access lid in the paasenger floor for my automatic tranny's dip stick access? Or will the dip stick be able to be accessed through the tranny plate on the tranny floor hump?

DieselJim
07-10-2017, 06:38 AM
Get a pan and dip stick off a 62-64 lark. They are checked under the hood.

doofus
07-10-2017, 06:39 AM
One option is a late model pan and dip stick on your trans.there is an access area on the trans hump you can remove to get at the dip stick.seems kinda silly to pull the carpet up each time you need to check the trans fluid level.Luck Doofus

StudeRich
07-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Not sure I understand why you were looking for a Manual Trans. Dipstick, but when you install the Automatic, you will see there is already a hole and cover for the Auto. Trans. access on the right side of the tunnel. The Cover is also used for adjusting the Front Band.

Manual Transmissions are all filled and checked from under the car.

Silverhawk59
07-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Not sure I understand why you were looking for a Manual Trans. Dipstick, but when you install the Automatic, you will see there is already a hole and cover for the Auto. Trans. access on the right side of the tunnel. The Cover is also used for adjusting the Front Band.

Manual Transmissions are all filled and checked from under the car.

Not looking for a manual transmission dipstick. My car is currently manual, but when I switch it to the automatic Ill need to access the dipstick on the automatic transmission. Judging on the placement of where the transmission access panel is on the floor inside the car in the middle of the hump; Im assuming the access hole in my floor will be too far forward so I wont be able to reach the dipstick cover on the tranny. Someone with an automatic Lark told me their access hole in the floor was in a different spot compared to mine. I might just go with the option of installing the 62 Lark and later dipstick so I can just access it without having to mess up my carpeting.

Silverhawk59
07-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Get a pan and dip stick off a 62-64 lark. They are checked under the hood.

Where can I find a pan and dip stick for 62-64 Lark? Does sites like Studebaker International sell them?

DieselJim
07-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Where can I find a pan and dip stick for 62-64 Lark? Does sites like Studebaker International sell them?
Call Tom Karkiewicz, 574-287-583four in South Bend, In. He should have what you need.