PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: 185 cid Throttle linkage Spring Question

Aussie Hawk
07-09-2017, 11:33 PM
Hi all,

I've just reinstalled the Carter WE carb on my '55 Two door sedan. I usually take pics of everything before dismantling it but didn't on this particular occasion. The carby actuating rod that goes across the cyl head from the coil/plug lead bracket to the carb throttle leaver has an extension spring that clips to the bracket end of the rod. I can't see where the other end of the spring locates so don't know whether it works with the main compression spring on the rod or against it. Some help please.

altair
07-10-2017, 01:46 AM
I don't know if this will help65479654806548165482

Ross
07-10-2017, 05:45 AM
On all my Champions the return spring hooks to the lower edge of the coil bracket and pulls on a sliding tab that is on the lower pull rod that runs aftwards right above the starter. One slides the tab along the rod to obtain suitable spring tension. There are no extra return springs. The compression spring seen in the second photo above is to allow extra throttle movement for kickdown operation if the vehicle has overdrive. Of course , if your vehicle is RHD, things could be quite different.

StudeRich
07-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Ditto what Ross said. All of the Champions I have owned or seen have that neat adjustable tension Spring and sliding clip for pullback, a very cool idea! :)

Aussie Hawk
07-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys,
The car is a LHD and with only 43,000 miles on it and is very original. The linkage is not like the one in your photos Altair, it has no spring from the throttle bracket to the exhaust maifold - pic #4, and the rod spring in pic #2 is about four times longer.
Ross & Stude Rich: I'm not refering to the spring attached via a slide clip to the rod above the starter. (Because of Photobucket changing I can't put up photos so I'll just have to explain it as best I can). Look at photo #2 and imagine a spring attached via a slide clip to the end of the rod on the left hand side of the knuckle that attaches it to the actuating lever from the coil bracket. This is correct going by the factory drawing I have, unfortunatley it doesn't say where the spring connects to, so I don't know whether it acts with the cross head rod or against it? It's only a light duty spring.