PDA

View Full Version : Save them while we still can

StudeNewby
07-09-2017, 05:09 PM
In light of the Hackenberger auction coming up later this week, I post this sobering article from 1977. Moral of the story: Don't let this happen to those Studebakers!
(It is not my intent to violate any copyrights. I found the story posted on another site not related to SIA. If moderators feel it is questionable, please remove the thread.)

BobPalma
07-09-2017, 07:09 PM
:( I remember that story all too well, Mike. Thanks for the reminder. :cool: BP

JoeHall
07-09-2017, 07:22 PM
I caught the, "save them while we still can" fever with Studes in the mid 1980s, but after about 25 years, decided there is more to life than laying on a creeper. Nowadays, I try to be realistic, and only have Studes I really need. But its hard to justify three Studes, when I am the only realistic driver in the family anymore. :)

studegary
07-09-2017, 08:05 PM
This reminds me of something that happened in this area. There was a local guy that had a transmission shop in Wappingers Falls. He was known across the country as an Ultramatic expert. That is about all that he worked on for years. Behind his shop was a sort of junk yard/resting place for many different cars. I knew that he had a special location further up in the county for Packards. I visited there once. He had a HUGE Quonset hut filled wall to wall and end to end (no space between) with 1955-1956 Packards. There were also a number outside. One exception was a fire truck that was about a 1937 Studebaker. The next time that I went to that location, probably after Oliver died, it was just empty land with no sign of any car ever having been there. I since heard that a crusher came in and did away with them all. The local location (his shop) was a main corner that is now a Cablevision/Optimum office. The other land was over a hill and not visible from any road. There was no sign or marking, you had to know where to drive up over the hill to the field.

warrlaw1
07-10-2017, 02:33 PM
I lost one, saved one and am saving another one. Rolling sculpture!

packard352
07-10-2017, 03:32 PM
https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19884062_1120006418098938_5062205745719063892_n.jpg?oh=f23c882720fa17c2833dd9fc8 1ac3927&oe=5A10FD21

This was posted a couple hours ago in the UK.... and following the theme of save 'em while you can - anyone want to try and guess what this beauty used to be...?!

Me neither; it used to be a Jensen Interceptor!

studegary
07-10-2017, 03:36 PM
This was posted a couple hours ago in the UK.... and following the theme of save 'em while you can - anyone want to try and guess what this beauty used to be...?!

Me neither; it used to be a Jensen Interceptor!

The Chrysler 383/440 and Torqueflite should still be good and possibly a very nice interior.

studegary
07-10-2017, 03:40 PM
I lost one, saved one and am saving another one. Rolling sculpture!

I remember delivering/driving four to a junk yard after trying to get $100 each for them. I got tired of looking at one sitting outside my kitchen door. Another was a pretty nice black Patrician that we drove to the junkyard. I remember going to an AACA dinner in that one. The boss' wife used to commute to work in it.

packard352
07-10-2017, 03:41 PM
That'd be wishful thinking Gary... apparently the car sat under a tarp for 20 + years, under a tree... with the owner flatly refusing all and any 'offers.' Now he's probably had to pay to have it removed and to the disgust, gauging by the chatter on FB at present over here!

8E45E
07-10-2017, 06:10 PM
The Chrysler 383/440 and Torqueflite should still be good and possibly a very nice interior.

All the glass (provided its intact) might be the most valuable components on what's left of it.

Craig

48skyliner
07-10-2017, 09:07 PM
As we get older, we need to really consider what is important to us in terms of the time and money we would invest in a car project. I built the 48 Champion because I realized I had never done an American car and thought I should do one before I die. I have a variety of cars, including four that are very unique custom cars. My Studebaker is certainly the nicest of them all, but I cannot imagine wanting to restore another Studebaker. If I do another car project, it will definitely be something I have not done before.

I always analyze my proposed projects and ask myself if it will be worth more when I am finished than I have invested. I am pretty sure all of my cars are worth more than I have invested in them, with the exception of my 1989 Mitsubishi SUV, which is stock and which I have driven over 300,000 miles.

My opinion is that "saving an old Studebaker" is a highly questionable investment of time and money if it is so far gone that it is being considered for scrapping.

dleroux
07-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Guy rolled down his window when I was on Lake City way in my '63 Avanti at a stop light. "Saw that Jensen Interceptor coming up behind me." "No sir. It's not a Jensen Interceptor. It's a Studebaker." "You sure?"
After how many $$ & hours, yeah I'm fairly certain it's Studebaker.

studegary
07-10-2017, 09:49 PM
All the glass (provided its intact) might be the most valuable components on what's left of it.

Craig

This reminds me of trying to locate a rear glass for an A-R Montreal in the 1970s (pre-Internet). Success was in having one shipped from AZ or NM to NY. It may have been easier in Canada. None of that model were sold new in the USA (I don't remember if any were sold new in Canada, but the name came from the auto show there).

8E45E
07-10-2017, 09:59 PM
None of that model were sold new in the USA (I don't remember if any were sold new in Canada, but the name came from the auto show there).

That is correct. The one shown at Expo67 in Montreal was a concept car. True production Montreals didn't start until 1970, well after the new Federal (US & Canada) safety regulations came into effect in 1968. And being a luxury V8 Grand Touring car, Alfa Romeo felt there would not be enough sales in North America to justify the cost of 'federalizing' it.

Craig

62champ
07-10-2017, 11:01 PM
I am going to "restart" trying to save this one - had not seen the light of day since the late 90s. Photo was taken yesterday - 55 years to-the-day it was finished in South Bend... Do not be alarmed - jack is just a temporary emergency brake and the proper battery hold down is on order.

http://i.imgur.com/DblA1jJ.jpg

tsenecal
07-10-2017, 11:11 PM
Looks like a good project. Well worth saving. My next "trying to save" is a 47 M15A. Body pretty solid, has original box, only glass is back window. Have a commander 245 to put in it, but after I bought it, I read a post here saying it won't clear the firewall without modification. The 170 is in it, but has been sitting for 30+ years with no head or pan, so pretty hard to salvage.

packard352
07-11-2017, 04:31 AM
This photo was posted on FB this morning as the Jensen was being loaded yesterday - no comment
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19884189_10155503189996182_9084491225973622462_n.jpg?oh=45073dd89ace136389666f47 1e405bc6&oe=59F9DC2A

t walgamuth
07-11-2017, 05:05 AM
Guy rolled down his window when I was on Lake City way in my '63 Avanti at a stop light. "Saw that Jensen Interceptor coming up behind me." "No sir. It's not a Jensen Interceptor. It's a Studebaker." "You sure?"
After how many $$ & hours, yeah I'm fairly certain it's Studebaker.

The back glass in an interceptor and Avanti is similar.

Skip Lackie
07-11-2017, 09:11 AM
As we get older, we need to really consider what is important to us in terms of the time and money we would invest in a car project. I built the 48 Champion because I realized I had never done an American car and thought I should do one before I die. I have a variety of cars, including four that are very unique custom cars. My Studebaker is certainly the nicest of them all, but I cannot imagine wanting to restore another Studebaker. If I do another car project, it will definitely be something I have not done before.

I always analyze my proposed projects and ask myself if it will be worth more when I am finished than I have invested. I am pretty sure all of my cars are worth more than I have invested in them, with the exception of my 1989 Mitsubishi SUV, which is stock and which I have driven over 300,000 miles.

My opinion is that "saving an old Studebaker" is a highly questionable investment of time and money if it is so far gone that it is being considered for scrapping.

Certainly agree with your first paragraph, but I (for one) have never taken finances into consideration when choosing a car to restore. We are all somewhat different in our automotive interests -- some of us just like to work on those that are of interest to us or have some other connection. My tastes are pretty mundane, so no exotics in my garage. AFAIK, none of my vehicles are worth more than I have in them -- unless I ignore inflation. And I have "saved" a couple (and sold them at a small loss) just to keep them from being scrapped. Different strokes . . . .

BILT4ME
07-11-2017, 10:47 AM
I had never even heard of a Jensen Interceptor until this thread. They look remarkably (or unremarkably) like an Avanti!

I have a desire to save every Studebaker that I lay eyes on. Unfortunately, I have not the time, money, nor space to place them all. I have the desire to save and organize them all into a giant Stude salvage yard and only eliminate those cars that are completely rusted beyond ability to repair and only after having stripped every good remaining part from the carcass. This, unfortunately is NOT a money-making endeavor in today's market. I see what other here have done and have made an OK living at it, during the era that these were thriving, now to slowly disappear into oblivion due to family issues, finances, and age.

The person I get my parts from is the only remaining sibling that has a desire to save the remaining 40+ cars on their father's property. I want to help him organize and catalog them, but I am concerned his siblings will win out and have him sell all of them to a scrapper so they can sell their part of the property.
Having been through a similar situation myself, I totally get that.

I want to do this because I love the uniqueness of Studebakers. They are NOT the Tri-5 Chevys or Fords. They are NOT a Camaro or Chevelle, or Malibu or Mustang. Everybody has one of those.

I have felt this way since the first day I laid eyes on my first Lark and realized that I could someday drive it.

Hallabutt
07-11-2017, 02:06 PM
It ain't all about the money! If money was the only reward, I'm afraid that I have wasted the last fifty five years of my life. Saving a car has it's own rewards, that has little to do with the bottom line.

Hallabutt
07-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Whether they were sold here or not, they were around. A friend and I looked at one sometime in the late 70's or early 80's. My friend was looking to buy, but even though it was a rust free NW car he was disappointed in the quality of the workmanship. I also worked with a guy who had one. So they were here when they were new.

bison
07-11-2017, 03:09 PM
Reading this thread all's i can think about is all of those vehicles that are ( or were ;)) out at Chuck's Place in Vail AZ.
sure wish they would have another sale :D

studegary
07-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Whether they were sold here or not, they were around. A friend and I looked at one sometime in the late 70's or early 80's. My friend was looking to buy, but even though it was a rust free NW car he was disappointed in the quality of the workmanship. I also worked with a guy who had one. So they were here when they were new.

Are you referring to the Montreal or the Interceptor? They are two completely different cars. Interceptors were sold here. Montreals were gray market cars.

Hallabutt
07-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Sorry, I realize that I didn't make it clear. The cars were Interceptors. I guess that I have no knowledge of the Montreal. I might never have seen one.

StudeNewby
07-13-2017, 03:54 PM
I have been debating all week whether to place a bid on any of the Studebakers at Hackenberger. My fear is that I would win! Then what? Not only can I not afford to buy another project right now, but then I would have to figure out how to bring it home...and where would I put it then?
I started the thread somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I really do hope most, if not all, of the salvagable Studes at Hackenberger will find good homes, and the ones that aren't will be used for parts by someone. On this Hackenberger Eve, I wish Best Bidding to all!65564

StudeRich
07-13-2017, 04:18 PM
/Cut/ On this Hackenberger Eve, I wish Best Bidding to all!

Good one Mike! :lol: