PDA

View Full Version : Will the Hackenberger auction cars affect the Studebaker Car Market???

unclemiltie
07-09-2017, 09:04 AM
I went through the Studebakers at this auction and saw quite a few nice cars which have been sitting sort of neglected but most likely a brake job, gas tank flush, and a little TLC will have them back on the road. I am thinking that the Studebaker market at that sale of 250 Studes will result in some very good buys. I am thinking the classic car dealers will be there looking for bargains to flip. I was wondering what happens to those trying to sell a Studebaker when say 50-100 more Studebakers hit the market??? I am thinking it will cause a temporary drop in value. On the other hand, maybe this auction will increase interest in our cars and drive the value up via new to Studebaker owners.

As the cars are not running, I am also thinking some may bring less than he paid for them which is not what we would hope.

jackb
07-09-2017, 09:07 AM
There are many factors that contribute to falling old car prices (in general)... this is another.. Do auction prices get followed by Hagerty & others ?

Commander Eddie
07-09-2017, 10:55 AM
In my opinion lower prices for classic cars is good. It encourages first time buyers to jump in and put one back on the road. It can encourage young people to get in on the fun and learn about the old iron. Lower prices help promote a widening of the market that can also have a positive impact on parts suppliers, repair shops and machine shops. And just look at the growing number of young men and women attending schools like McPherson College to learn how to restore old cars. The only ones I can see that suffer when prices fall are collectors who are looking to turn a profit. Something we in the Studebaker world have yet to be concerned about with just a few exceptions like Golden Hawks, Speedsters and certain pre-war models. I hope some people get some smashing deals at this auction. There are some great cars and trucks being sold.

Bob Andrews
07-09-2017, 11:04 AM
My intent is to do exactly as you say – buy cars for resale. But as we all know, Studebaker's are a tough market. I am looking at several cars from other makes, but if I can get them cheap enough I will buy Studebakers. My specialty is getting decent but neglected cars and cleaning them up and getting them back on the road.

Nobody knows what the prices will be until the sale happens. It's a bit of a gamble, but I am towing my trailer out there 400+ miles in case I can buy. I can bring one home with me, but beyond that I have to factor in the cost of transportation and anything else I bid on.

There is more room for error on more popular brands. In the end, what people pay for the cars will be a gametime decision.

Milaca
07-09-2017, 01:13 PM
An automobile auction of this size should garner national television coverage. But probably not, it would be too interesting and entertaining for television. :(

r1lark
07-09-2017, 01:33 PM
The really nice cars might go high. but to me, just the shear size of the collection may result in some real bargains, especially cars that can be turned into drivers and/or rat rods with some brake/wiring/fuel system work.

One thing no one has mentioned - with this many cars needing work getting into enthusiasts' hands, might the parts businesses benefit?

jclary
07-09-2017, 02:08 PM
The really nice cars might go high. Bu to me, just the shear size of the collection may result in some real bargains, especially cars that can be turned into drivers and/or rat rods with some brake/wiring/fuel system work.

One thing no one has mentioned - with this many cars needing work getting into enthusiasts' hands, might the parts businesses benefit?

We often discuss the age of Studebaker enthusiasts on our forum. Further thinking about it, I don't think older Studebaker owners are much different than the age of other brands of vintage car collectors. Thinking of my own grand children, and those of friends, it seems to me that interest in cars, and especially vintage cars, is dwindling. As for this particular auction, the shear scale of it all , could find the attending crowd overwhelmed and spent long before the auction is over. I'd be interesting in comments from attendees and participants when the event is over, to see if the auctioneers can maintain brisk bidding and enthusiasm to the end.

Commander Eddie
07-09-2017, 02:12 PM
The really nice cars might go high. Bu to me, just the shear size of the collection may result in some real bargains, especially cars that can be turned into drivers and/or rat rods with some brake/wiring/fuel system work.

Paul, I did mention this aspect in post #3. That would include those needing parts to put car and trucks back on the road, as well as parts gleaned from vehicles not worth trying to put back on the road. Something for everyone.

bob40
07-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Once went to a auction that had close to 150 1957 Chevrolets in every form you could think of from restored,pristine originals,down to stripped shells.
With that many to choose from the best cars brought premium money while complete fix and flips went below market value.Way below.
When you have too many of one brand the available big money dries up pretty quickly.Smart buyers were buying late in the day and getting cars for 1/4 of market price.
I think the seller lost money they could have made selling in more conventional ways.BTW it was a Vanderbrink auction.
Sold both cars over the phone at double the auction price while hauling them back.

Milaca
07-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Perhaps the availability of online bidding may increase the overall sell prices? Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Guido
07-09-2017, 03:31 PM
For those attending, prepare for a long grueling event. As Bob says, the bargains will be at the end of the day when all but the hard core collectors have long been gone.

55 56 PREZ 4D
07-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Out of 250 Studebakers, 14 are horse drawn, 3 misc offerings, 1 Weasel, 4 Zipvans, 55 big trucks, 7 parts only trucks,
6 or 7 small trucks, about 40 parts only cars, with about 75 complete fairly good condition cars.
While 75 Studebakers on the market is a large number, it is far from 250.

r1lark
07-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Paul, I did mention this aspect in post #3. That would include those needing parts to put car and trucks back on the road, as well as parts gleaned from vehicles not worth trying to put back on the road. Something for everyone.

Sorry Ed, I missed that you had mentioned this. :oops:

dpson
07-09-2017, 08:46 PM
I agree with Milt, when it's all said and done the results are going to be a big disappointment to the seller.

Just too much to dispose of all at once.

studegary
07-09-2017, 09:54 PM
The results MAY be surprising to us. There could be a lot of non-Studebaker people that bid the Studebakers up to Chevy/Ford prices and think that they are getting a bargain.