PDA

View Full Version : General Registration

GWCagle
07-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Not trying to muddy any waters, but would someone explain to me why Studebaker car shows have a general registration and also charge to enter a car for judging. This usually amounts to $15 general registration and another $20 for your car. Other clubs in my area charge only $20 or less to show a car and my local Studebaker chapter has an Orphan show each year and we only charge $10 per car.

I don't enter my car in shows that charge over $20 so many Studebaker shows are out of my price range. So anyway, hopefully someone can explain this to me. Are our Zone meets and other shows free to spectators? Who is supposed to pay for General Registration? What do you get for your money?

Swifster
07-08-2017, 08:40 PM
George, I would draw the line at paying anything to bring a car. Shouldn't they be paying ME to bring the car? A lot of cities here in Florida have free car shows that draw in crowds to visit the city. Fills the restaurants and bars.

Chris Pile
07-08-2017, 11:22 PM
SDC chapters raise money by hosting meets... And that's the important thing you should remember if you want to support having Studebaker events to attend. It's not cheap to put them on, you know. So pay up and go to have a good time, or stay home and complain some more.

dynolou2
07-08-2017, 11:48 PM
If you bothered to attend this years national event, the county is not giving away six days use of the fairgrounds, it cost in the neighborhood of $ 10.000.00. You had the Swap meet, the car judging on Friday and the new this year an open car show on Saturday including the public and our Studebakers. I would be interested in seeing the profit/loss statement for this meet, just wanting to know what worked and what needs to be improved. Lou Cote

Colgate Studebaker
07-09-2017, 07:51 AM
The Upper Mississippi Valley Zone meet is being hosted by the Wisconsin Region SDC this year which general registration is $25 till the end of June, now $30 till the event. There is free showing of your vehicle, however if you want it judged for authenticity there is a $5 charge. There are plenty of "costs" involved in putting on the meet e.g. hotel/meet parking, rental of room (indoor & outdoor) for swap meet, banquet room rental, trophy/ dash plaque purchase, postage / administrative costs, and many more. The last time WRSDC hosted the UMV zone meet there was minimal profit for the effort put into it. This Augusts meet will be a chance for attendee's to enjoy themselves and hopefully the chapter will do better this time. I hope we see you all there, Bill.

GWCagle
07-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your comments so far. Chris, I am not complaining, just trying to get some answers. These questions have come up in my chapter meetings and we don't have the answers. So could someone please answer these specific questions:
1. Are SDC shows (such as Zone Meets) free to spectators?
2. Who should pay the General Registration? Everyone? Only SDC members? Only members who are entering a car?
3. Does a husband and wife (and perhaps minor children) belong to the club under one membership?
4. If two club members ride together to a meet in one Studebaker and it will be entered for judging, do they both pay the General Registration?
5. Do vendors pay the General Registration?
6. What do you usually get for the cost of General Registration? Perhaps one car entry or flea market space? A chance to win a door prize?

My chapter has only put on an Orphan Car Show for the last several years. It may have been 20 years since they have had a Zone or 3 or 4 State Meet. Our show is one day, we have a free location and we can make a profit at only $10 per car (with most of the money we take in going to Meals on Wheels). We were asked at the end of last year about us putting on a Zone meet with very short notice. We were not able to do it, but it is a possibility in the future. Our members that know how to do that are gone. That is why we have lots of questions.
Thanks!

41 Frank
07-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Thanks for your comments so far. Chris, I am not complaining, just trying to get some answers. These questions have come up in my chapter meetings and we don't have the answers. So could someone please answer these specific questions:
2. Who should pay the General Registration? Everyone? Only SDC members? Only members who are entering a car?
3. Does a husband and wife (and perhaps minor children) belong to the club under one membership?
4. If two club members ride together to a meet in one Studebaker and it will be entered for judging, do they both pay the General Registration?
6. What do you usually get for the cost of General Registration? Perhaps one car entry or flea market space? A chance to win a door prize?

My chapter has only put on an Orphan Car Show for the last several years. It may have been 20 years since they have had a Zone or 3 or 4 State Meet. Our show is one day, we have a free location and we can make a profit at only $10 per car (with most of the money we take in going to Meals on Wheels). We were asked at the end of last year about us putting on a Zone meet with very short notice. We were not able to do it, but it is a possibility in the future. Our members that know how to do that are gone. That is why we have lots of questions.
Thanks!

#1 Yes for Zone meets, not always so at International meets.
#2 SDC members only are eligible to register for a zone meet.
#3 yes
#4 Mostly pay one registration, the other person could come as your guest I believe.
#5 At most Zone meets yes, at International meets no longer.
#6 Door prize yes, Car entry free, judging or display usually a charge , flea market space extra.

GWCagle
07-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Thanks Frank. I will pass this along at our next planning meeting. We have a lot to learn!

StudeDave57
07-09-2017, 09:49 PM
So could someone please answer these specific questions:

Between the 20 or more Zone Meets I've attended, and/or having been behind the scenes of quite a few-- in three different Zones- I may be able to answer a few of these questions.

Zone Meets can be as easy or as hard as your Chapter wants to make them.
Most of SDC's 'rules' that exist seem more like 'guidelines' these days, and they bend.

So with that~

what Frank said.
People who attend in any form- show cars, display cars, vendors, people who will attend any of the events. I believe this is required under the SDC Bylaws for insurance purposes. Frank might be able to expand on that...? Be sure to get your event covered by SDC's insurance.
what Frank said
I'd agree with Frank on this too.
They oughta. If not- see #2. Some shows I've attended gave discounted fees on this and/or other items (like banquet tix) to vendors. Knowing a vendor is coming sometimes attracts StudeNuts, as they usually advertise in advance of your show. Win/win, right?
#6 This is one item I have seen the most flexibility. One car, one space, a combination of both, maybe more, maybe less. Some shows go all out and will do goodie bags, dash plaques, Friday Night parties, and even other events. Some just go for the basics. It's up to you and what your Club thinks they can handle.

Not too long ago there used to be a 'primer' for folks thinking about hosting a Zone Meet. But the trouble with having been active in the Pacific Can-Am Zone, the Pacific SouthWest Zone, and the South East Zone at various times over the last 30 years- I'll be darned if I can remember the who/where to find it. Sorry.

Hopefully this has helped some.
Feel free to ask other questions.
The only dumb question is the unasked one... ;)
:cheers:

studegary
07-09-2017, 10:00 PM
I have attended and participated in many chapter, zone and international SDC meets over the past 50 years. I have run or helped to run many chapter and zone meets.
The current situation is different than the way that the rules were set up. I'd go with what Frank posted as answers to your questions. Those that haven't run a meet do not realize the costs involved along with the time and effort.

This reminds me of one chapter meet that I ran. I didn't have a registration fee. I decided to absorb all of the costs myself. One guy pulled in and I handed him a goodie bag. He looked in it and said: "Is this all that I get?" I told him that he could get his money back. At that point, I think that he realized that he hadn't paid anything, yet he was getting something.

Charlie D
07-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Our club has hosted a relatively small Zone Meet for decades. I am the current treasurer so I looked at this year’s income and expenses. The fee that is charged to have a Studebaker judged does not cover the cost of the trophies. A couple of years ago it was decided we did not want to go out and beg vendors for freebies to hand out as door prizes. We pass out tickets for all that attend the last night’s banquet and 5 lucky diners get a $50 bill. That pretty well covers their registration and the banquet fee so basically it is a free zone meet for them.

We would probably about break even if it were not for the auction during the banquet. Our club is blessed with generous members who donate nice items to be auctioned off. It is blessed with the best and funniest auctioneer this side of the Mississippi. The fun and laughter during the auction is worth the price of the banquet.

My opinion is that the zone meet is all about bringing Studebaker people together for a good time. Several of those who attend, we only get to see once a year. When the meet is over and the volunteers are cleaning up the meeting rooms there is usually a feeling of relief that the efforts that were put into the event were well rewarded. The planning for next year’s event is already underway.

Charlie D.