PDA

View Full Version : Cool/Heat: 53-55 CK electric fan

Robert
07-08-2017, 02:31 PM
Is anyone using a electric fan with a 53-55 CK radiator.What have you found that can be adapted ?Did you use the Stude fan shroud?I'm thinking of a engine transplant and am wondering what others have done and any advice.Thanks

sweetolbob
07-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Just find the fan that matches your voltage 6 or 12 depending on what's been done to the car. Check the amp draw of the fan and be sure your setup can put out sufficient amperage.

Many fans will come with a shroud that can be modified to fit but you can build your own if necessary. I'll post how I did my Avanti if there's interest. Do use a shroud.

Fans also come in push or pull depending on your specific location. Usual suspects have them: Jegs, Summit, Speedway, Amazon among others.

Bob

jrlemke
07-08-2017, 03:26 PM
If you use 12v, I used a P.T. Cruiser fan and shroud laid on it's side. It's 2 spd. and fits fairly well. I had to notch the bottom of the shroud a little to clear the reachrod. If I was to do it again, I think I would move the bottom of the radiator out a bit to clear. -Jim

Mike Van Veghten
07-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Look at the DeltaPAG fans.
http://www.deltapag.com/Technology.html

Brushless, light, small motors, thin, very nicely designed. I bought two smaller (12") rather than one larger fan.
In my 54 wagon, most fans seem to be too thick. Contact with the water pump is much too likely with motor and chassis flex.
Plus these fan blades are actually shaped like wings (MUCH better airflow), not just slabs of twisted plastic blade.

All wiring and controls come with the fan(s).

They were originally designed to replace the New York taxis that use(d) the big Fords and their two speed fans. The Delta fans have apparently proven themselves well.

Mike

studegary
07-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Of all of the '53-'55 C/K models that I have owned, only one had an electric fan. It was a pusher mounted on the front (input) side of the radiator.

Robert
07-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Jim,I had read about someone using a PT cruiser fan.I just had the fan in my PT Cruiser replaced and I kept the old replaced one to see how it would fit.Then I realized that it was used in a Hawk which uses a taller radiator than the 53-55 CK.But maybe there's something that I'm not seeing as you say laid on its side?

studeguy54
07-08-2017, 09:08 PM
My '54 has a Chevy 350 with an aftermarket aluminum radiator bought from Amazon (radiator brand is NORTHERN). Radiator sets in the original cradle, but a bit lower than stock, so it catches a bit more cooling air under the bumper. I have an electric fan, also bought on Amazon that runs at a faster speed and pushes air through the radiator. Surprisingly, I have NO shroud. It runs very acceptable temperatures even on hot days. I BELIEVE the secret with a Studebaker C/K is to get as much air across the radiator as possible.

It worked for me. I have pictures and description of the installation if you want. studeguy54@verizon.net

jrlemke
07-08-2017, 09:35 PM
My Hawk now has an aluminum radiatoe. The width of the fan shroud is almost exactly the height of the radiator when laid on it's side. The fan is two speed and it cools very well and is not noisey I think your radiator is slightly tilted back at the top, if I remember right. I run it manually using a on-off-on switch and a relay for each speed. I have a G.M. 10si alternator (I think 35 or 40 amp) and have had no electrical problems. -Jim

junior
07-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Look at the DeltaPAG fans.
http://www.deltapag.com/Technology.html

Brushless, light, small motors, thin, very nicely designed. I bought two smaller (12") rather than one larger fan.
In my 54 wagon, most fans seem to be too thick. Contact with the water pump is much too likely with motor and chassis flex.
Plus these fan blades are actually shaped like wings (MUCH better airflow), not just slabs of twisted plastic blade.

All wiring and controls come with the fan(s).

They were originally designed to replace the New York taxis that use(d) the big Fords and their two speed fans. The Delta fans have apparently proven themselves well.

Mike

cool, these seem to be really well designed...you say you purchased 2...are they installed and how well do they work? what is the cost factor? my electric fan works well for my purposes, but man, she's LOUD when running, not too loud in the car, but outside of the car is a different story. cheers, junior

doofus
07-09-2017, 07:04 AM
I use 2 small 10 inch electric fans on stock CK rad. no shroud, turbo is where shroud top would be. fans on at 195 /200 deg off at 180 or so. cant hear fans over 3in side pipes and gauge watching is tough in traffic. working out bugs is exciting to say the least! fans from Autozone. Luck Doofus

Robert
07-09-2017, 12:32 PM
studeguy54 "email sent".

junior
07-09-2017, 01:42 PM
In my 54 coupe with a SBC I first tried a electric fan and shroud that I pulled from a mopar...didn't work well. Then I tried an aftermarket puller fan without a shroud...didn't work well either. Then I tried the aftermarket fan in conjuction with the stock stude shroud that I modified. All works well now...car has never overheated...although if I were to do it again I would use two smaller fans instead of 1 large one. What I wouldn't do is install an electric fan to the rad core...to me that's seems pretty mickey-mouse, but when I go to car shows I see lots of fans mounted this way...I figure OEM electric fans are not mounted this way (at least as far as I know) so why mount an aftermarket fan this way?
cheers, Junior

RadioRoy
07-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Is there a consensus on whether the fan should go in front of the radiator to push the air, or behind the radiator to pull the air? Or is there no difference in performance?

Corvanti
07-11-2017, 03:45 PM
i had a push fan on the Avanti. the push fan and its surroundings may block off a bit of air to the radiator fins but makes that up when activated. for me, it was easier to fit a push fan in her - depends on the vehicle and clearances.