PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide if I like it.

52-fan
07-08-2017, 08:28 AM
There is an interesting truck on ebay right now. When I saw the profile picture I thought "Oh no, another chopped up monstrosity", but after looking closer it is a nice build. I still don't like all of it. The rubber bands on front don't work for me and a few other things are not the way I would do it, but the truck looks cool in a cartoonish sort of way. Too bad there are not pictures of the interior. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Studebaker-Pickup-/162583116222?hash=item25dab579be:g:ZWgAAOSwu2VZYJCU&vxp=mtr

tsenecal
07-08-2017, 10:19 AM
A ot of nice work was done, but the placement of the rear axle takes away the pickup style. The big wheels give it a unique look, but I bet that the ride quality is horrible. All the work, and money spent would have built a beautiful restored, daily driver.

sweetolbob
07-08-2017, 10:29 AM
I'd knock a foot or so out of the wheelbase but otherwise, I like it a lot.:) Bob

Chris Pile
07-08-2017, 10:46 AM
but I bet that the ride quality is horrible

Longer wheelbases usually result in a smoother ride....

riversidevw
07-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Cartoonish pretty much says it. But admittedly I'm not a free spirit on these creations. Would have much preferred a quality restoration. But it's one guy's taste and his money. I'm frankly surprised that there's a resale market for such individualistic pieces.

sweetolbob
07-08-2017, 12:06 PM
I'm frankly surprised that there's a resale market for such individualistic pieces.

A friend of mine sold his 55 Brandywine painted, s-10 framed, 454 Buick powered Stude pickup a few years ago for well over this asking price. There's always a market for well done, individualistic vehicles. Many times for well over the prices of restored vehicles. Of course, this one has yet to sell so we'll see if someone puts a value on it of $30K more or less.

bob40
07-08-2017, 01:07 PM
"All the work, and money spent would have built a beautiful restored, daily driver."
With a top speed of 45 mph.
Only thing I question is that it lists a IH diesel as the powerplant yet lists gasoline as the fuel.

jclary
07-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Cartoonish pretty much says it. But admittedly I'm not a free spirit on these creations. Would have much preferred a quality restoration. But it's one guy's taste and his money. I'm frankly surprised that there's a resale market for such individualistic pieces.

A friend of mine sold his 55 Brandywine painted, s-10 framed, 454 Buick powered Stude pickup a few years ago for well over this asking price. There's always a market for well done, individualistic vehicles. Many times for well over the prices of restored vehicles. Of course, this one has yet to sell so we'll see if someone puts a value on it of $30K more or less.

In my younger days, I would have loved something like this...if for nothing but the COOL factor.:) Somehow, with the passage of time, life experience, COOL/KOOL?...has found itself relocated in my value system. When I was younger, I would put up with a lot of nonsense, discomfort, and aggravation for the sake of COOL.:confused: But now, things like function, economic sense, value to family, and reliability, have shoved the "cool factor" to the back of the list. If it meets all the other qualifications, then, COOL, is a bonus.:)

Another experience I have had in my adventurous life, is driving 18 wheeler type tractors. This assemblage of parts, is much closer to a "bob-tail" tractor. Only, it lacks a functional fifth wheel. As it sits, I'd be surprised if it has a decent ride. If you shorten the wheelbase, it would ride worse. Even with an air bag suspension, you better hope your kidneys are properly attached. Lord help you if there are any unknown kidney stones lurking needing little encouragement for dislodging.:eek: I'll bet there is a huge tendency for this rig to jump sideways when uneven bumps, potholes, or railroad crossings are encountered.:ohmy:

Next...is the noise. Any of you with a stock Studebaker work truck, big engine, heavy transmission, dual wheels, know about the noise. They were as good as any in their day, but even when new, they were very loud, and to meet today's hearing protection requirements, all drivers & passengers should probably wear ear plugs.:(

In order to install enough sound insulation to make this truck reasonably quiet, there probably wouldn't be enough room left for an average size driver. Perhaps a Leprechaun would fit.;)

So...to sum it up...I like it! I think it is really KOOL!!!:D I just don't want the responsibility of repairing all the painted over rust seen popping out. Nor clean up some of the cobbled modifications (Steering wheel, etc.) that need more attention. Don't want to pay the insurance, upkeep, or house the truck. Nor do I want to drive it on a long trip.:(

I look forward to seeing it in a parking lot at some future meet!:)

It is certainly COOL!:!: If you buy it, bring it to a meet...I'll promise to enjoy it.;):!:

52-fan
07-08-2017, 02:26 PM
So...to sum it up...I like it! I think it is really KOOL!!!:D I just don't want the responsibility of repairing all the painted over rust seen popping out. Nor clean up some of the cobbled modifications (Steering wheel, etc.) that need more attention. Don't want to pay the insurance, upkeep, or house the truck. Nor do I want to drive it on a long trip.:(

I look forward to seeing it in a parking lot at some future meet!:)

It is certainly COOL!:!: If you buy it, bring it to a meet...I'll promise to enjoy it.;):!:

Yep, I don't want to own it, but I would enjoy seeing it up close.

rockinhawk
07-08-2017, 04:29 PM
65448654496545065451This belongs to a friend of mine in Georgia. It's more Corvette than Studebaker.

52-fan
07-08-2017, 05:46 PM
His vision is waaaay different than mine. To my eye, that rear part looks like it belongs on a different vehicle.

StudeRich
07-08-2017, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=52-fan;1063092]Can't decide if I like it.That wouldn't take ME more than a nanosecond to decide! :D

Corvanti
07-09-2017, 09:16 AM
not for me, but a "wild" paint job may make it palatable.:)

t walgamuth
07-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Well done details but the wheels tires and rear end would not work for me.

kurtruk
07-09-2017, 06:29 PM
If you scroll all the way down through the 102 pics, there are pictures of the interior.