PDA

View Full Version : Front Axle: Ever tried using both early and late front anti-roll bars together?

PackardV8
07-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Yes, it can work and is certainly CASO; (actually, CCASO, as he's Canadian, spent zero bucks getting a stiffer anti-roll setup ;>)

The later frame-mounted Stude front sway bar wasn't as stiff as he wanted and he didn't want to pay for the aftermarket vendor heavy duty front anti-roll bar, so BrandX end links end links for the outer ends of the late bar to the A-arm, reinstalled the early bar and both together does the job for him.

jack vines

Mike Van Veghten
07-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Not a Stude, but yes, I did.

Once upon a time, many years back, I built a hot rod 1961 Chevrolet Impala. A 421 inch 409, a full manual, switch-pitch, T-400 trans., down low to the ground, NASCAR (Basset, steel) wheels, big Goodyear radial tires, heavy springs front and rear, a large rear anti-sway bar.
And yes, the OEM 5/8" front anti-sway bar, along with a later model GM 1-1/4 dia. bar that fit around the original bar.

That car was a beast. For a bunch of cheap (cept for the engine) parts, that car ran and handled "WAY" better than it had the right to for a nearly 4000lb car.

Mike

bezhawk
07-07-2017, 07:08 PM
I did the same on my 56J, and my 64 Daytona.

Jeff T.
07-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Perhaps it is late and I am just missing something

Could you walk me through what was done please. What I understand is later front V8 bar was not stiff enough and a second bar was used. Stock bar was left were it was and second bar (brand x) was added where?

As a variation on a theme, the six cylinder bar goes from A arm to A arm, could you install the frame brackets and modify the stock V8 bar or add a brand x bar? I still have a front bar from a 64 and brackets in the basement.

Somewhere I still have a rear brand x bar that bolts to the rear axle but that's another project.

Jeff T.

PackardV8
07-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Perhaps it is late and I am just missing something

Could you walk me through what was done please. What I understand is later front V8 bar was not stiff enough and a second (early) bar was used.

As a variation on a theme, the six cylinder bar goes from A arm to A arm, could you install the frame brackets and modify the stock V8 bar or add a brand x bar? I still have a front bar from a 64 and brackets in the basement.

Jeff T.

Jeff, the earlier Studes anti-roll bar was clamped to the A-arms. Later, Stude made brackets which bolted to the frame to hold the center of the bar and only the outer ends clamped to the A-arms. The modification with the later bar using BrandX links moved the outer end attachments above the A-arm and an early bar was re-installed with the two clamps on each A-arm.

jack vines

Jeff T.
07-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Ok, I get it. I'm more familar with the Lark era of Studebaker engineering. Gives me an excuse to buy the parts manuals prior to the Lark

Thanks.

wittsend
07-08-2017, 03:25 PM
And, I'd assume if you mounted the lesser bar tight and the greater bar somewhat loose you could get a "variable rate" anti-roll bar(s)?

OK, I'm CASO but I'd think just buying the thicker Camaro bar at a self pull yard for under $20 would accomplish the same and still not strip a man of his CASO image. I mean I get it that the guy was just tinkering around and it worked. But can a CASO be too CASO? :confused:

Buzzard
07-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Like Mike in # 2, I too did it with mid 70's GM intermediate chassis rear bars mounted to lower control arms. I simply used longer bolts and added another bar underneath the existing one(they were about 3/4" diameter). This complimented the 1 1/2" Herb Adams front bars I used to use. I think for our Studes that wittsend has the right approach with the readily available big Camaro/TransAm front bars and cheap.
Bill

Mike Van Veghten
07-10-2017, 07:25 PM
wittsend wrote -
""I'd assume if you mounted the lesser bar tight and the greater bar somewhat loose you could get a "variable rate" anti-roll bar(s)?""

Sorry, no such thing as a "variable" anti-sway bar.
They are ether connected or not, working in full or not.

On the other hand, maybe with some work, one could use a small shock absorber as the link to the control arms.
BUT...that would not only defeat the purpose of the bar in the first place, it would take a bit of work, AND...most probably not be fully controllable.

Just as a "loose" anti-sway bar would be as inconsistent as the addition of a shock as a connection.
A properly working bar should start working as SOON as the body leans, otherwise, they don't do much good in controlling body roll.

Mike