PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: headlight switch

Jimmie
07-07-2017, 12:15 PM
The headlight switch lever on my GT Hawk had to be moved around to make the lights come on. I bought one from SI and put it on a couple of days ago and it is the same way. Is this normal for these switches? Is there a generic switch which I can buy that will work? I do not mind relocating a generic switch if it will work better.

Thank you to all who can help me.

Jimmie

unclemiltie
07-07-2017, 03:34 PM
Try moving the switch around, on and off, etc repeatly. Sometimes the copper becomes corroded and that cleans it off.

Jimmie
07-07-2017, 06:58 PM
:)Unclemiltie, thank you for the suggestion, I will try it.

I have one left from when I restored my 50 but that car was just 6 volts so not sure if it can handle the 12 volts/amps--need to check on that.
Of course I would be able to use the same hole/location in the dash but would have to secure it behind the dash since the original switch is secured with a ring/threaded on the outside of the dash.

JoeW
07-07-2017, 08:41 PM
The 6V switch should be able to handle more amps. If the headlights were 100 watts the six volt switch would have to handle 16.6 amps and a 12V switch would have to handle 8.3 amps.

StudeRich
07-07-2017, 08:50 PM
There is NO similarity between the '50 Champion pull switch and the '57 to '64 Hawk Toggle Switch, I would find another Toggle or fix one of yours. :)

The "other" issue with these is; most have been stored in Summertime Climates hot enough to melt the Grease on the Rotating Ball, and it runs into the switch contacts, especially if stored upside down.

If you can very carefully disassemble it and clean and dry the contacts it will be good to go.

Jimmie
07-08-2017, 01:00 AM
Stude Rich,
I took it apart this evening and am having trouble getting it back together. Over 3 hours! Keeping the tiny steel balls on the end of the springs is one problem I am having. Also, when I put the larger spring where I thought it came from keeps the toggle switch from moving right. Wish I knew for sure where it should go as I put it back together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jimmie

StudeRich
07-08-2017, 01:16 AM
I think I DID say: "very carefully", Lol! :lol:

Kato
07-08-2017, 07:11 AM
The headlight switch lever on my GT Hawk had to be moved around to make the lights come on. I bought one from SI and put it on a couple of days ago and it is the same way. Is this normal for these switches? Is there a generic switch which I can buy that will work? I do not mind relocating a generic switch if it will work better.

Thank you to all who can help me.

Jimmie

I just bought and installed an ignition switch and headlight switch for my 62 GT from StudebakerParts.Com. They both worked perfectly!

Jeffry Cassel
07-08-2017, 09:11 AM
I have occasionally had success with electrical contact cleaner. I think that a lot of stuff sat around for years in that leaky old building on west Sample St and is a bit corroded. Have better luck with Studebakers West; electrical parts might survive better in the drier CA climate.

JoeW
07-08-2017, 09:20 AM
I had the same problem with the little balls. To keep the balls on the end of the spring, put a small dab of contact grease on the ball and it will adhere to the end of the spring long enough to re-assemble it.