Cleaners, polishers, waxes, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaners, polishers, waxes, etc.

I have no $$ attachment to Adam's Polishes http://adamspolishes.com but I have to admit they have made my life way too easy in maintaining a quality look to my vehicles. Everyone of their products is easy to apply, works better than advertised, and it's easy. I did a complete detail on the Mrs.'s Highlander on the 4th & it took me less than an hour. You're talking to someone who used to think that the Blue Coral two-step wax product was the only way to go because that's what my father taught me. I know we all have our favorites & I've used them all from Turtle wax, McGuire's, Griotts, but I have become an Adam's adherent. I'm interested in what others have to say about what their Go-To brand / product happens to be & also what they would avoid.

Yup, I started out with that old Blue Coral Treatment... the liquid in the blue bottle followed by the waxy resin paste. Think the very last of it went away around 1970 or shortly after. Remember the Meguiar Competition Finish liquid that came out around that time? Some of the Chemical Guys detailing products have worked out reasonably well. I'm thinking now of their "White Light Hybrid Radiant Finish" on white or very light colors. Works with a variety of paints, even the old alkyd enamels. But some of their fancy paste waxes seem ridiculously priced.
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

Comment

I have been a Zaino user on my personal cars for more than fifteen years and love the stuff for ease of use and results. For the collection of cars I maintain numbering around twenty I use Adams Brilliant Glaze. Very nice product, also easy on and off and nice results. Use what works best for you.
      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
        I have been a Zaino user on my personal cars for more than fifteen years and love the stuff for ease of use and results. For the collection of cars I maintain numbering around twenty I use Adams Brilliant Glaze. Very nice product, also easy on and off and nice results. Use what works best for you.
        For what it is worth, out all the products out there, this company offers the best stuff to "condition" your high dollar paint job.......

Shine Supply - Your #1 Source for Quality Detailing Supplies

Comment

PTFT is the main ingredient in a quality car wax. It resists corrosive acid. It holds up below 200 c as well as above 200 c. It does not dissolve in solvents. It is very stable and nonflammable. It resist static and allows dirt and debris to fall off. It's clean, unoily and dry. It's very slippery. It can be packaged in fancy cans with exotic names, put in in a liquid form or in a spray bottle or spray can. Most quality car waxes in any form contain about 12% PTFT. That's what makes them easy to use leaving a very smooth brilliant shine. PTFT will hold up for up to five years. Which brand name do you prefer?

Comment

I like Griot's Garage products though not exclusively. I have a tub of Pinnacle Souveran wax I use on my '02 Avanti as the wax is designed to work best on darker colors like black or red. The '02 is Corvette Torch Red and the wax looks spectacular on it...a deep, wet, shimmering look. On my '70 Avanti I use Griot's Premium Carnauba Wax. On my daily drivers I use Griot's sealants.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

For what it is worth I found a product called Glare. I like it and if you follow their instructions..... it is amazing. There are more expensive products but they did not work as well on my paint. My Stude is painted with PPG base and PPG Deltron clear. I also use this once a year on my drivers and my Harley. I keep trying other products but this works the best for me.

Comment

I use Mothers of Maguire's because I either bought them at one time or got free samples. They are both in spray bottles so are easily applied and removed. I'm not too fussy, and can't get all heated up about this brand or that. I can remember using Simoniz paste wax on some jet-styled barge as a teen, and I'd never want to do that again.
                peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                  I use Mothers of Maguire's because I either bought them at one time or got free samples. They are both in spray bottles so are easily applied and removed. I'm not too fussy, and can't get all heated up about this brand or that. I can remember using Simoniz paste wax on some jet-styled barge as a teen, and I'd never want to do that again.
                  YUP, Tide laundry soap and hot water, finished off with a good coat of my Moms Johnson's paste wax worked for me on my first car...........

Comment

A friend had several vehicles related to his funeral home. I asked him how he kept them so shiny. I don't recall his polish or wax, but he said not to use and soaps or detergents which remove the polish /wax...just water, a clean mitten, rinse, and towel off.
                    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
                      For what it is worth I found a product called Glare. I like it and if you follow their instructions..... it is amazing. There are more expensive products but they did not work as well on my paint. My Stude is painted with PPG base and PPG Deltron clear. I also use this once a year on my drivers and my Harley. I keep trying other products but this works the best for me.
                      Yes, Glare is a very good liquid product. Sometimes marketed though motorcycle dealers as Honda or Yamaha Glare Professional Polish. http://www.parkeryamaha.com/hondapro...olish12oz.aspx

Gil
                      Gil Zimmerman
                      Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                      1956 Golden Hawk
                      1958 Packard Hawk
                      1958 President
                      1963 Avanti R2

Comment

I remember, when I was a kid, I'd use either Simoniz wax or Blue Coral on my dad's car. By the time i was finished, I thought my arm would fall off.
                        I now use NuFinish on my cars and it goes on and off easily and stands up well against the weather.
                        On my Stude, I've been using Mother's Carnauba cleaner/wax and it looks great.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Back in the '70s I purchased a for then expensive brand of wax called Excalibur. It sold for $5.00 which was quite expensive. I used it on my '63 Avanti I had at the time. It was real hard paste wax and took hours to apply. The car really looked magnificent after. As nice as the car looked, the wax was gone in only a few weeks. It was simply not worth the effort.

There are beauty waxes and protective waxes and sealants which are synthetic waxes. Sealants generally last longer and are more reflective but tend to have a plastic appearance. True waxes don't last as long and give the deep, wet look many like.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

i've been on a CASO low budget the last few years. in the spring i will wash the '51, then clay bar, use either Nu Finish polish or Meguiars Cleaner Wax - top it off with a light coat of Meguiars Carnauba Wax. it gives her a good deep shine. wash, rinse and repeat the carnauba wax about every 2 months.

read the info on "Glare" in an above post. i may give that a try.
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

This is my third post on this... my shelves are groaning under products acquired over the past decades. Sometimes certain paints seem to "like" a specific product. The Pimlico Gray on the Speedster is partial to contents of a 20 year old bottle of a Brit product, Autoglym Resin Polish. ("By Appointment to Her Majesty..."). Paint is apparently a 70's single stage acrylic enamel. But I use something different for the Congo Ivory. Beyond reason, I admit! But not always a single perfect answer for every finish.

I started with Blue Coral Treatment (the old school stuff, not the later junk with same brand), had a brief fling with an early cleaner-wax, Johnson's J-Wax. All back in '57, experimenting on the family car.

Should change my signature to 57 Varieties (of polish and wax).

Gil
                              Gil Zimmerman
                              Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                              1956 Golden Hawk
                              1958 Packard Hawk
                              1958 President
                              1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Working...
                              X