PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Wiper switch issue-'63 Champ

stude1964
07-06-2017, 10:10 AM
My buddy has an issue with the wipers not "parking". The truck was pulled apart for a rebuild and some pieces were lost/replaced. He has a wiper switch with about 7 or more terminals. Is this correct? He also has a desire to add a correct electric washer. What is the correct switch? I tried a 4 terminal wiper switch and wired it like a '62 Champ but had no control of the wiper speed. Could it be a defective motor? The shop manual shows a green wire and we don't have a green in the harness! Can anyone provide a pic of the correct switch and how to wire esp. for the washer hookup?
Thanks!
Rob in PA.

Dwain G.
07-06-2017, 06:17 PM
We might need a picture of the wiper motor to see if it is Studebaker or something else. How many wires go to the motor?
The seven wire switch sounds like something from a Chrysler product. This swap is sometimes done to get intermittent wiper function.
Studebaker's windshield washer was a small foot pedal and bellows mounted on the firewall. Some did have wiring that would turn the wipers on for one cycle.

rkapteyn
07-06-2017, 08:16 PM
https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/agora.cgi?page=wirediagrams.html

jackb
07-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Helpful Plug(not shameless): I have 2 complete w/s wiper systems with the black reservoir and power pedal. Also, 1 power pedal. All NOS. PM me for them. I also have several 4 wire wiper motors.

StudeRich
07-07-2017, 12:14 PM
My buddy has an issue with the wipers not "parking". The truck was pulled apart for a rebuild and some pieces were lost/replaced. He has a wiper switch with about 7 or more terminals. Is this correct? He also has a desire to add a correct electric washer. What is the correct switch? I tried a 4 terminal wiper switch and wired it like a '62 Champ but had no control of the wiper speed. Could it be a defective motor? The shop manual shows a green wire and we don't have a green in the harness! Can anyone provide a pic of the correct switch and how to wire esp. for the washer hookup?
Thanks!Rob in PA.

The way this reads it sounds like you may not know that Studebaker never had a "Electric" windshield washer.
The "Deluxe" windshield washer kit has a switch and Pedal on the bellows pump to just kick the wipers on when you push the Pedal down to wash.

If you want a electric pump to spray the fluid instead of a bellows manual pump, you need parts from a aftermarket kit or some "other" Make Car.

A '63-'64 Champ Wiper Motor should have a 4 Wire small harness coming from it.

stude1964
07-08-2017, 10:40 AM
After checking with my buddy the switch has 9 terminals. There are 4 wires from the motor- blue, yellow, black, and red ( yes these are under the dash in their own harness). Other switches have been tried including 9 terminal and 4 terminal . He's in the process of taking apart the motor to at least clean it. Any wiring suggestions to the switch as there are terminals IDed by capital letter. We thank you.
Rob in PA.

StudeRich
07-08-2017, 12:59 PM
I am guessing that this "9 terminal Switch" probably does not have the same shaft and Knob as the Heater Fan and Headlight Switch, correct?

In other words, not the correct Wiper Switch.

Dwain G.
07-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Here's a nice color wiring diagram for the '63 and later four-wire wiper motors and terminals on the switch.
https://www.studebakerparts.com/studebakerparts/store/s/html/images/63-4-lark-wire-COLOR.pdf
If it still doesn't park, the problem is probably in the park switch in the motor. Remove cover and inspect contact points.

rkapteyn
07-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Again
The parking part of the windshield wiper system is done by a pair of contacts in the wiper motor.