Need help to identify a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Need help to identify a Studebaker

Hey all I just bought a 1946 M5 or at least is seems like an M5. It is an M5 cab (M5-02, 49413) on a M15 chassis. Does anyone know if in 1946 Studebaker manufactured trucks like described? Can anyone point me towards someone that might know more? Or did I just buy a cobbled together truck?

Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1755269Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1755270

There is no difference between the cabs used on M5 and M15 trucks. The M16 and M17 trucks had a cowl section that was indented to accommodated the larger Commander 6 engine, but the cabs were otherwise identical to those used on the smaller trucks. The later M-series trucks used a much larger front bumper, and that did alter the appearance of the truck, but the same cabs were used. The data you provided are from the cab serial number, not the vehicle serial number. There is no real significance to that number -- it was used to track running changes to the cab, but was not sequenced with the vehicle serial number.

More info in chapter 7 here:
    Skip Lackie

Comment

the othe rnumber is located in the cab on the seat. The M5-13 -- 49788. Does that make any sense? Also did Studebaker make a truck with a M15 chassis and a M5 cab? is it a M5 or a M15?

Comment

Your truck appears to be an M15 on to which someone has transplanted the cab (and its serial number plate) from a 1948 M5. As noted above, the cabs are the same anyway. Whomever did that should have moved the serial plate from the M15 over to the new cab. What does the title say?
        Skip Lackie

Comment

The title says it is a 1946 vechicle identification number 2M9642

Comment

Looks like a rusty old farm truck to me,taken out of service a few days ago 'cause the help can't drive a std!!! Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by jz5rcc View Post
              The title says it is a 1946 vechicle identification number 2M9642
              That number indicates a Champion engine installed in a 1946 M5 or M15. Until the mid-1950s, some states used engine number for registration purposes.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

I'm pretty sure, (have not checked for years), my Studebaker truck, is registered by its engine number. I suppose, that if I ever get around to putting the V8 in it, I'll have to investigate changing the number on the (South Carolina) title to the truck's serial number.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                X