PDA

View Full Version : Surprising new use of the old Studebaker plant

rkapteyn
07-05-2017, 07:27 AM
http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/church-plants-seed-in-former-studebaker-building-in-south-bend/article_ddfe328d-16d8-52bd-8c70-e786e88838dd.html

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/south-bend-studebaker-plant-ready-for-massive-facelift/article_661dd3cb-c4ff-5969-9d69-cbf746e30316.html

Robert Kapteyn

jclary
07-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Why not a church? For decades, the grounds of Studebaker has been a sacred place of pilgrimage for many of us. A portion reserved for those with reverence and faith in the very entity that makes all things possible...to me, as natural as breathing.

I can hear it now. From the huge silent remains of a once busy noisy enterprise...a spark of life...an assemblage of hope...as an age old hymn echoes through the complex..."This Little Light of Mine...I'm gonna let it Shine!":)

JRoberts
07-05-2017, 08:20 AM
This sure is not what one would expect in an effort to bring this part of South Bend back to life. But then why not? Looks like the church is already becoming a success. My hat goes off to them.

DEEPNHOCK
07-05-2017, 08:22 AM
So.. A church... A 5 year lease....Paying no taxes, I suspect...

jclary
07-05-2017, 08:27 AM

Well..."Non Profit"...the tradition continues;)

raprice
07-05-2017, 08:52 AM
It's interesting how they were able to transform that portion of the building into a workable worship area. Nice going.
Rog

swvalcon
07-05-2017, 09:19 AM
I will agree with Jeff on no taxes but disagree with Jclay on the non profit.

dpson
07-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Maybe they can bring Jim and Tammy in to do some fund raising, sell some condo's, etc.

studeclunker
07-05-2017, 03:49 PM
the song actually goes, "This little Gospel light of mine... I'm gonna make it shine!"

Since the Church is not allowed to participate in our government anymore, then it shouldn't have to support it. I just hope this fellow doesn't live down to the example cited of Jim and Tammy-Fae. There are a few genuine Churches of Christ out there fellas. Personally I find this use of the building conflicting. Then again, a Pastor needs to go where his message is needed, not where it looks pretty. God go with Pastor Miller. May his Gospel Light shine and illumine the dark streets of South Bend. The Studebaker Brothers were all devout Christians and I'm positive would be very happy of this use for their building.

GrumpyOne
07-06-2017, 12:52 AM

{{{cackle}}}

rkapteyn
07-06-2017, 06:15 AM
Studebaker was "no profit" in the end.

jclary
07-06-2017, 06:36 AM
Studebaker was "no profit" in the end.

Well Robert...you might be old, but my reference didn't go over your head.;)

ivorydan
07-06-2017, 11:28 AM
If it's going to be successful, a significant part of it needs to be apartments.

6hk71400
07-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Ray Thompson, local newscaster in Phoenix years ago tried to describe Legend City, a local try at Disneyland. He was trying to say non profit amusement park but it came out non amusement profit park.

Studebaker in 1963 could have been described as a non manufacturing profit plant, or a non profit manufacturing plant. Take your pick.

As far as the use, taxes, etc I will now leave that discussion as it would be very easy for this thread to disappear as a mix of politics and religion. If anyone would like my views about all this, ask me in person for a discussion.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

8E45E
07-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Studebaker in 1963 could have been described as a non manufacturing profit plant, or a non profit manufacturing plant. Take your pick.

I pick both as correct.

The 'non profit manufacturing plant' bearing their name was shut down in 1963, while their 'non-manufacturing profit plant' is what they became when they morphed into a hold company only.

Craig

tsenecal
07-06-2017, 01:34 PM
The church may be non-profit, but I'm sure they pay a lease to the developer for the use of the space.

riversidevw
07-06-2017, 02:01 PM
The church may be non-profit, but I'm sure they pay a lease to the developer for the use of the space.

Church doubtless does make lease payments. It's the developer who pays the property taxes... unless there's a special deal with local government as a tax incentive, not really unusual for redevelopment. I'm aware of entrepreneurial churches, but I'm going to leave it at that. No reason for hostility to a project that keeps some of that old property intact and viable.

Gil