Lark Headlight issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Lark Headlight issues

Just purchased a nice 63 Lark Daytona. No low beam lights. High beams work great but hit the dimmer switch and nothing. Installed a new dim switch and the same. Tested the old one and it is fine. A number of threads on this forum talk about headlight relays but can't reason why the whole system would not work on low beam. Headlights are not halogen, etc. Any help and advise would be appreciated. Great car otherwise......
    Oh....forgot to mention that clicking the dimmer switch about 30 times the low beams came on once.......???

Thanks for any assistance

check wiring for open between dimmer switch and headlights

Comment

I know that you said you replaced the dimmer switch, but an ASE class that I took taught that you should never assume your new part is good, if it doesn't fix the problem. You should be able to test for current leaving the switch with a test light or volt meter. If voltage is leaving the switch, then it is good and problem is between that and the lights.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

When I bought my 55 president, the headlights wouldn't come on. Turned out both low beams filaments were burned out & the dimmer switch was bad & prevented switching to hi beams.....took me a little bit to figure it out....

Comment

Check the simplest thing first. Make sure that the low beams are not burned out in the two headlight bulbs.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I had issues with my headlights on my 65. It ended up being the grounds in the headlight buckets but in my case it was more of a brightness issue but its worth checking.

Comment

Check the plug at the dimmer switch.

Comment

More weirdness.........someone has wired a high beam hood light (Dodge Dart fender indicator) and connected it to the voltage regulator.
                The regulator hums when I turn off the headlight switch. Will take a good look at all wires this afternoon. There is no way the regulator should be involved with the lighting system. I have wired two cars from scratch (no aftermarket harness) and four cars with Ron Francis kits and others. I generally understand most wiring issues......but this one ???

Comment

Working...
                X