PDA

View Full Version : Howard Olsen sale way back when

DougHolverson
07-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Was there a big auction for the Howard Olsen estate 25 or so years ago or was all that stuff sold off quietly and privately? It would kind of sucked for me to miss such an auction, but I also had a bad case of "ain't got no money" at that time in my life. I did go to a little mop up sale and pick up a few odds and ends.

For that sort of big event that I really regret not seeing is the demolition of my old grade school with explosives. If you've even been a first or second grade age boy, seeing your "bad ol' school getting blowed up real good!" would be a fantasy come true second in coolness only to having a pet dinosaur.

Studebaker Wheel
07-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Howard lived in Atlantic, Iowa and worked for years for the Studebaker dealer there, Bell Motors. I bought Howard's '37 Coupe Express as well as a lot of parts and literature from his wife. Did not attend an auction. Believe most of the parts were sold in bulk to John Caskey and Frank Van Doorn in Omaha. Frank posts here so he will probably be able to give you further details.

DougHolverson
07-03-2017, 02:08 PM
I went to the Atlantic Swap Meet in '78 that Mr. Olsen (and a quite a few of the ones that followed). That was sort of a special memory because I went with Grandpa Skow (now gone 30 years), it was the first swap meet that I ever went to, and it was big. Grandpa Skow ran the Standard Oil station in Moorhead, Iowa from '31 to '69 and had the Allis Chalmers dealership from circa '48 to the end.

Another special memory was when the family went for a parts run to get engine overhaul parts for my '47 Champion, and we all got a tour of his place plus his three barns full of Studebakers and parts and stuff.

mbstude
07-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Howard lived in Atlantic, Iowa and worked for years for the Studebaker dealer there, Bell Motors. I bought Howard's '37 Coupe Express as well as a lot of parts and literature from his wife. Did not attend an auction. Believe most of the parts were sold in bulk to John Caskey and Frank Van Doorn in Omaha. Frank posts here so he will probably be able to give you further details.

In that case, the parts have since ended up at Stephen Allen's. That was the first inventory Stephen bought when he decided to go back into business.

DougHolverson
07-03-2017, 02:24 PM
How close is Mr. Allen to Omaha?

mbstude
07-03-2017, 02:33 PM

We're just outside of Gainesville, Florida.

DEEPNHOCK
07-03-2017, 03:34 PM

Stephen's middle name is Allen. His last name is Cade.
So, to be formal, he would be addressed as Mr. Cade, or Stephen Cade.
Stephen Allen's LLC is the name of his business.
Jeff

https://mystudebaker.com/https://www.facebook.com/mystudebaker/

https://mystudebaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/salogpng.png

GeneC
07-07-2017, 02:09 PM
I am one of Howard's grandsons and I can confirm there was no parts auction. The only auction was an equipment auction to clear space and eliminate some of the rented buildings. My grandmother continued to operate the business for a few years and then sold all remaining inventory to John and Frank. Almost all of his 70ish cars, except for about 2, found new homes.