Carb 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb 101

OK- I have a '64 with 289 V8 and an AFB intake manifold. I have a new Edlebrock 500 cfm Performer carb. There are two brass(?) lines that stub out of the right side of the intake manifold. So they represent some sort of air circuit. Vacum I guess. Do I run rubber tubes from these to somewhere on the carb? And what does this air circuit do for you?

Thanks for your help - Leon

The two line in the manifold are the heater for the choke .How are you choking the car ? Manual with a cable to the dash, electric, which might be included with the carb or with a line from the skinner of the two to choke pot(use steel) and the other to the air cleaner(use rubber). If you decide not to use a choke at all wire the choke butterfly open and it will take a little feathering of the gas pedal to keep it running till warm.(not recomended for cold weather touring).Joe

1959 HARDTOP R2 clone
    1960 conv
    SDC member since 1972
    1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
    1960 conv R2 auto
    SDC member since 1972
    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

Ah, I see, said the blind man. The choke is electric. I'll plug off those two lines.

Comment

Here's the best first step for you.
        Hope the info helps.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Leon

OK- I have a '64 with 289 V8 and an AFB intake manifold. I have a new Edlebrock 500 cfm Performer carb. There are two brass(?) lines that stub out of the right side of the intake manifold. So they represent some sort of air circuit. Vacum I guess. Do I run rubber tubes from these to somewhere on the carb? And what does this air circuit do for you?
        Thanks for your help - Leon
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

There's a possibility that your manifold choke stove pipe may protrude high enough to contact the bottom of the linkage on the carb. This contact point is very subtle and could prevent you from tightening the carb enough, resulting in a vacuum leak. This happened on my car, even after installing spacer gaskets to raise the carb to alleviate the issue on the drivers side..

Bob Johnstone
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
          X