PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: 1955 President Sedan - Anyone Ever Install Suspended Pedals and Brake Booster?

GrumpyOne
07-02-2017, 01:04 AM
I'm entertaining mounting a conventional brake booster with suspended pedals on my "mildly" modified '55 Prez State sedan which will be a driver but will retain Studebaker running gear.

Has anyone done such on sedans and if so, what are the obstacles to be overcome?

TIA

sweetolbob
07-02-2017, 08:25 AM
The biggest problem will be firewall flex. I used an 86 IROC Camaro assembly in my 54K. I used 3/16 plate on the inside to strengthen the firewall, mounted the assembly(auto trans car) and used the master cylinder and proportioning valve set up.

Wilwood and other suppliers have complete assemblies so you could go new with them.

I won't do it if you are keeping the drum brakes, waste of time. Wilwood and other suppliers have complete assemblies so you could go new with them.

IAC, it's a fair amount of work that's best done with the dash out and brake upgrades in mind. Also keep in mind that the inner fender comes close to the area needed for the M/C assembly. If you want a brake booster then you need to modify the inner fender. Also be sure the installation clears the engine.

Until Photobucket shuts me down, here mine in the early stage. Easier than looking through my saved photos.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/P1000293.jpg

Bob

tsenecal
07-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Here are some small diameter boosters that are available new. Speedway has a lot of brake components for universal fit. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/brake-boosters~14-3-474-30456?NoRedirect=true&OriginalQuery=brake+booster

bezhawk
07-02-2017, 10:40 AM
If you run power steering, why not run a hydro-boost setup? They are very compact. When I did a firewall mounted pedal assembly on my 53 Commander HT, I used a cut down Lark setup. (that was without a booster at all)
I mounted it to the DASH BRACE and STEERING COLUMN like the FACTORY did in 63. Firewall flex is a minimum when it is supported in more than just the firewall.
Of course, you should make a plate that closes up the large opening where the column goes through. The firewall side does have to have a good place to mount it.

64V-K7
07-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Here's the Hawk

http://www.studebaker-info.org/64v2488/2014/DSC03292ml.jpg

GrumpyOne
07-03-2017, 12:10 AM
Here are some small diameter boosters that are available new. Speedway has a lot of brake components for universal fit. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/brake-boosters~14-3-474-30456?NoRedirect=true&OriginalQuery=brake+booster

I'm planning on using a late Lark type booster M/C that I have on hand..

GrumpyOne
07-03-2017, 12:20 AM
The biggest problem will be firewall flex. I used an 86 IROC Camaro assembly in my 54K. I used 3/16 plate on the inside to strengthen the firewall, mounted the assembly(auto trans car) and used the master cylinder and proportioning valve set up.

Wilwood and other suppliers have complete assemblies so you could go new with them.

I won't do it if you are keeping the drum brakes, waste of time. Wilwood and other suppliers have complete assemblies so you could go new with them.

IAC, it's a fair amount of work that's best done with the dash out and brake upgrades in mind. Also keep in mind that the inner fender comes close to the area needed for the M/C assembly. If you want a brake booster then you need to modify the inner fender. Also be sure the installation clears the engine.

Until Photobucket shuts me down, here mine in the early stage. Easier than looking through my saved photos.

Bob

Yes, a dozen or so years ago, I installed a Lark type booster in a '64 T'Cab where the firewall was already cracked from conventional brakes. I made a doubler and used the suspended bracket from a late Lark as well and even though I did not convert to disc brakes, it worked well since the firewall flex existed no longer. I had no fender or engine clearance problems and don't anticipate any with the sedan.

The biggest issue that I see is fabricating a flat plate to marry with the current firewall and installing a suspended brake pedal. The car is an automatic.

GrumpyOne
07-03-2017, 12:26 AM
If you run power steering, why not run a hydro-boost setup? They are very compact. When I did a firewall mounted pedal assembly on my 53 Commander HT, I used a cut down Lark setup. (that was without a booster at all)
I mounted it to the DASH BRACE and STEERING COLUMN like the FACTORY did in 63. Firewall flex is a minimum when it is supported in more than just the firewall.
Of course, you should make a plate that closes up the large opening where the column goes through. The firewall side does have to have a good place to mount it.

I think that an ideal setup would have a firewall section to marry to the existing firewall in addition to a flat plate to mount the booster assembly.

I agree that the Lark suspended pedal set up is the way to go because it provided a bracket from the front of the dash to the firewall thougn like you, it will have to be modified.

GrumpyOne
07-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Here's the Hawk

http://www.studebaker-info.org/64v2488/2014/DSC03292ml.jpg

Yeah, I think that things are more difficult with a c/k as opposed to a sedan. The only possible interference might be the sedan battery box which is spot welded to the inner fender that might force the M/C to connect to the motor side.

GrumpyOne
07-03-2017, 12:39 AM
I want to thank all of you for responding and your ideas.

In the next few weeks, I'm going to see just how much wiggle room I have with a Lark boster/MC. Hopefully, it will work out and if not, I may have to resort to some sort of remote assist. I do remember that some '55 sedans had a hydrovac mounted on the firewall..