PDA

View Full Version : Turning Wheels surplus sale

BobPalma
07-01-2017, 10:15 PM
:) I've finally taken inventory and organized the close to 2,000 copies of Turning Wheels I've got around here and am offering duplicates FOR SALE cheaper than our regular sources.

One way or another, I've identified and set aside a full set (every issue since the September 1972 beginning) for my personal use. I have over 1,000 duplicates available, all in good or better condition, for sale according to the schedule below. ALL PRICES ARE POSTPAID in the U.S.

1-3 copies: $4.50 each, postpaid (club price $5.50 each, postpaid)

4-9 copies: $4.00 each, postpaid (club price $5.00 each, postpaid)

10-23 copies: $3.75 each, postpaid (club price $4.50 each, postpaid)

24+ copies: $3.50 each, postpaid (club price $4.00 each, postpaid)

The above prices apply to any issue dated 1980 or newer. I've only got 9 "extras" total for all the years prior to 1980, so PM me for a specific price on anything earlier than 1980. (However, for all practical purposes, I've got complete years for any year 1980 or newer. I'll gladly break a set if you just need one or more issues from a given year; you don't have to buy a whole year if you don't want to.)

Important to note is that Cornerstone Registration does not have many of the issues I've got available; they've been NLA for some time. So if you have a few holes in your set and want to fill them with individual issues that have not been available for awhile, here's the opportunity to do so. :D (Yes, I know some folks have entire collections they'd give away for the taking, but the "postage & handling" is the killer preventing those offers from being attractive unless you are on the premises....and these are in nice condition overall; not all curled up and/or moldy.)

To order, send the appropriate payment and requests to:

Bob Palma
309 S. Jefferson St.
Brownsburg IN 46112-1308

On the outside chance I don't have an individual issue you want, I'll credit your order accordingly and send the difference with the issues I do have. However, it's likely I'd have any issue you need. (Or post your needs here and I'll confirm having them before you order and will hold them for you until your cash/check/money order arrives if you say you want them.) Thanks. :cool: BP

studegary
07-02-2017, 10:13 AM
Thanks for making this offer, Bob.
I will piggy-back this with comment and offer.
On this SDC Forum, when someone has looked for a particular Turning Wheels issue that I had an extra of, I would offer it to them for two or three dollars (I forget which) including US shipping. I NEVER heard back from them. I do not know if this meant that they got one somewhere else, that they thought that I was charging too much (as you know, my charge was barely over the cost of the large envelope and postage) or they thought that I should send them for free.
Not to compete with you - I have some extra issues from the 1970s, that you do not have, that I will offer at Bob's rates above.

rkapteyn
07-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Robert
I have over 3500 extra copies if you run out ,let me know.

Robert Kapteyn

BobPalma
07-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Hey Fellas,

Why don't you'll donate them to the club, National Recruiting Program, the Southeast Zone is trying to get up and going? Now, if only the national organization would chip in some funding, some recruiting materials and an SDC Banner, we might just be able to stem the failing tide our leadership seems to think is over taking the club.

:!: Not to worry, Bo; the ones I don't sell will not be thrown out.

I'll also advertise them in Turning Wheels, since I think someone computed that fewer than 10% of our SDC members access this forum...and they will be available to our local Indy Chapter members at a lower price since they can be picked up with no "shipping & handling" expense.

Then, six months from now, I'll decide what to do with the remainders...I will dispose of them because I need the space, but they will not be simply thrown away. :) BP

studegary
07-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Hey Fellas,

Why don't you'll donate them to the club, National Recruiting Program, the Southeast Zone is trying to get up and going? Now, if only the national organization would chip in some funding, some recruiting mateials and an SDC Banner, we might just be able to stem the failing tide our leadership seems to think is over taking the club.

The 1970s copies that I have would not be good to use for recruiting purposes.

64V19816
07-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Curious if extant copies of TW outweighs extant Studebaker Vehicles :-).

studegary
07-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Gary,

Say it ain't so! These very copies make up the history and feel of the club. Alone, the fact that they have survived makes them representative of everything the club stands for. Assuming you have taken as good a care of them as you have your Studebaker pride and joy, I'd say they are representative of the very essence of the quintessential studebaker enthusiast.

The up and coming recruiting and retention program is all about catching that small flame and stroking it into a full blown enthusiasm. How better to encourage then to teach using any and all pertinent materials available. There are whole generations out there that have never been introduced to the information contained within the covers of this little magazine.

I agree that the 1970s Turning Wheels should be preserved. I am only willing to get rid of extra copies that I have.
I'll explain why I do not believe that 1970s issues should be used for recruiting. They do not represent the publication that is now put out (Have you looked at a 1970s copy lately?). The information as to individuals, addresses (including membership) and costs are far out of date.

JoeHall
07-03-2017, 11:33 AM
:!: Not to worry, Bo; the ones I don't sell will not be thrown out.

I'll also advertise them in Turning Wheels, since I think someone computed that fewer than 10% of our SDC members access this forum...and they will be available to our local Indy Chapter members at a lower price since they can be picked up with no "shipping & handling" expense.

Then, six months from now, I'll decide what to do with the remainders...I will dispose of them because I need the space, but they will not be simply thrown away. :) BP

I have a closet full of TW back issues, including several from the 70s. Was planning to bring them to SB last May and give them away, but forgot them at home. So now they will sit in the closet till at least next May. I stopped getting TW, last time I renewed SDC membership. With the internet nowadays, I do not get much, "news" from them anyway. But I know many of our members still do not use the internet much. Before the internet, I used to buy pertinent back issues, and wait eagerly for each monthly issue to arrive. Once it arrived, I'd read it cover to cover, ASAP. But for the past several years, I'd toss it aside, and eventually skim through it. The internet has messed everything up. LOL

barry gibbons
07-03-2017, 03:09 PM
Need aug 75 sept 78 may 80 sept 80 june 81 june 84 july 84 feb 85 aug 86 feb 89

BobPalma
07-03-2017, 03:36 PM
Need aug 75 sept 78 may 80 sept 80 june 81 june 84 july 84 feb 85 aug 86 feb 89

Hi, Barry;

I have all of those issues except August 1975. :( That would be 9 issues total @ $4.00 each postpaid = $36.

Since you didn't quite meet the 10-23 threshold price ($3.75 each) for 10 issues through no fault of your own, I'll not charge you a premium for the single September 1978 issue I do have, per the original post that said there would be a premium for issues older than 1980. :o

I've pulled those 9 from stock and set them aside with your name on them. Please confirm that you want them and that you are sending a check ($36). :)

Thanks. :cool: BP

barry gibbons
07-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Yes The check in the mail

Bamajak
07-03-2017, 03:52 PM
First I have heard of this effort................

Hey Fellas,

Why don't you'll donate them to the club, National Recruiting Program, the Southeast Zone is trying to get up and going? Now, if only the national organization would chip in some funding, some recruiting mateials and an SDC Banner, we might just be able to stem the failing tide our leadership seems to think is over taking the club.

BobPalma
07-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Yes The check in the mail

:!: OK, Barry; thanks. "Here's your sign!"

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF81061_zps07zcvx6f.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/DSCF81061_zps07zcvx6f.jpg.html)

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF81081_zpscnsuibhy.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/DSCF81081_zpscnsuibhy.jpg.html)

:cool: BP

barry gibbons
07-03-2017, 06:12 PM
The check was written and mail before I made contact with you so just keep the balance. Can you tell me what the difference are between the 70 copies and new copies. I'm getting these copies because of a book that I'm reading that suggest in getting these months for rebuilding my 54 champion coupe. I'm looking for a book YOU CAN DRIVE A STUDEBAKER FOREVER by Dick Datsun do you know where I can get one?

BobPalma
07-03-2017, 06:31 PM
The check was written and mail before I made contact with you so just keep the balance. Can you tell me what the difference are between the 70 copies and new copies. I'm getting these copies because of a book that I'm reading that suggest in getting these months for rebuilding my 54 champion coupe. I'm looking for a book YOU CAN DRIVE A STUDEBAKER FOREVER by Dick Datsun do you know where I can get one?

:o It's just the rarity, Barry. Turning Wheels older than 1980 are harder to come by, that's all, so they ought to be worth more to anyone who wants a complete set. There simply weren't that many printed because the club was smaller then and, of course, the older they are, the more likely they were thrown out or eaten by mice or got ruined in a moist environment or what-have-you.

While I have a complete set, there were 88 issues of Turning Wheels from the first one (September 1972) through the end of 1979. Of those 88 issues, I only have 39 extras to sell; not even half of those published.

I'm still organizing my library for the first time in decades and may have a copy of Dick Datson's book. If I run across it, I'll let you know right away, but don't hold your breath. My first step was to gather up, sort, and inventory all the extra Turning Wheels and get them out for sale.

Thanks again. :cool: BP

JoeW
07-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Bob, I would like to purchase Feb 1997. If you have it the check will go out tomorrow.
Joe Wilson

BobPalma
07-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Bob, I would like to purchase Feb 1997. If you have it the check will go out tomorrow.
Joe Wilson

:) It's waiting for you, Joe:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF81091_zpsfmui5zsp.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/BobPalma/media/DSCF81091_zpsfmui5zsp.jpg.html)

:!: Thanks. :cool: BP

studegary
07-03-2017, 10:55 PM
Hi, Barry;

I have all of those issues except August 1975. :( That would be 9 issues total @ $4.00 each postpaid = $36.

Since you didn't quite meet the 10-23 threshold price ($3.75 each) for 10 issues through no fault of your own, I'll not charge you a premium for the single September 1978 issue I do have, per the original post that said there would be a premium for issues older than 1980. :o

I've pulled those 9 from stock and set them aside with your name on them. Please confirm that you want them and that you are sending a check ($36). :)

Since Bob P. has stated that he does not have August '75, I will tell you that I do believe (my inventory) that I have an extra August '75. The Feature Article is; "The Many Designs of Raymond Loewy". It will take me a while to dig it out from my last move in 1991 (I have a general idea where it is - at least which room it is in). As I stated, the $4.50 price that Bob quoted for later issues is okay with me.
Barry G. - Please send me a mailing address along with your check if you want that issue and you are not in a big hurry for it.

Guido
07-04-2017, 02:21 PM
Curious if extant copies of TW outweighs extant Studebaker Vehicles :-).
The only way to find out is to start a registry. I know someone is up to the task...

barry gibbons
07-05-2017, 06:45 PM
Yes Gary I want it. What is your mailing add.
Barry

BobPalma
07-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Yes Gary I want it. What is your mailing add. Barry

:) Barry and Gary: As you may have seen in my updated post, I today found and inventoried a large stack of 1973-1979 Turning Wheels I forgot I had. If Gary doesn't mind, I now have an August 1975 Turning Wheels here in front of me I'd be glad to add to your order when your check arrives for everything else.

We can square up later after you've received all the issues you want. :cool: BP

studegary
07-05-2017, 08:58 PM
:) Barry and Gary: As you may have seen in my updated post, I today found and inventoried a large stack of 1973-1979 Turning Wheels I forgot I had. If Gary doesn't mind, I now have an August 1975 Turning Wheels here in front of me I'd be glad to add to your order when your check arrives for everything else.

We can square up later after you've received all the issues you want. :cool: BP

Yes, Bob, I agree with your sending the copy to Barry. I don't want to step on your sale. I was only offering what I and you thought that you did not have. Now that you have located that issue, go ahead and complete the initial order.

BobPalma
07-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Yes, Bob, I agree with your sending the copy to Barry. I don't want to step on your sale. I was only offering what I and you thought that you did not have. Now that you have located that issue, go ahead and complete the initial order.

:!: Thanks for your understanding, Gary...hey, by the time you dig yours out, they will be rarer and command even more money! :lol: ;) :cool: BP

rkapteyn
07-06-2017, 07:47 AM
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?101381-FS-Dick-Datson-Total-Performance-publications

studegary
07-06-2017, 01:19 PM
:!: Thanks for your understanding, Gary...hey, by the time you dig yours out, they will be rarer and command even more money! :lol: ;) :cool: BP

My memory inventory is better than that. It would probably only take me about 15 minutes of moving things in bedroom number four to get to the box with it in. I just didn't want to take the time and move things around unless the TW was sold.

barry gibbons
07-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Thanks

They came in good shape
Barry

JoeW
07-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Thanks Bob, I received it today. I would also like to get Aug 79 and Feb 91.

BobPalma
07-13-2017, 11:19 PM
Thanks Bob, I received it today. I would also like to get Aug 79 and Feb 91.

:!: Thanks for the confirmation(s), guys. I tried to wrap them really good so they'd survive the journey. :eek:

Joe: Yes, I have both August 1979 and February 1991. I only have one extra August 1979 and pre-1980 are a little more expensive, as I said.

So if you want to send along $10 for both of those postpaid, I'll throw in an NOS copy of the small 1964 Studebaker full-line brochure.

Let me know and I'll set aside that August 1979 for you if "the check's in the mail." (I'm off to The Meltdown Drags in Byron IL first thing in the morning, so if I don't post a reply until Sunday afternoon, go ahead and mail the check if you want them and I'll confirm when I get back.)

JoeW
07-14-2017, 08:02 AM
The check's in the mail.

riversidevw
07-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Any chance of July 1996? Seem to be missing one of the Richard Quinn contributions.

Thanks.

BobPalma
07-15-2017, 10:07 PM
The check's in the mail.

:) Thanks, Joe. I've pulled them and set them aside to hold for you. :cool: BP

BobPalma
07-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Any chance of July 1996? Seem to be missing one of the Richard Quinn contributions. Thanks.

:) Yes, Gil; I have a July 1996. $4.50 postpaid to your door. :cool: BP

riversidevw
07-17-2017, 01:10 PM
:) Yes, Gil; I have a July 1996. $4.50 postpaid to your door. :cool: BP

Check on the way. Thank you!

Gil

BobPalma
07-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Check on the way. Thank you! Gil

:!: OK, Gil; thanks.

I wish I knew which back issues are NLA from Cornerstone Registration, so I could advise accordingly for people looking to fill in their collections for fewer $$$ than even if Cornerstone still had them.

In that I have virtually every issue available, I know I've got some Cornerstone has't had for years. :cool: BP

BobPalma
08-07-2017, 09:15 AM
:) 'Still plenty of copies left, although I've sold maybe 70 of them.

In my OP, I asked that Canadian customers please add 20% for postage, not knowing how much it would be. That didn't prove to be a good idea: Craig Parslow bought quite a few, so I boxed them up and took them to the USPS. If that box was going a similar distance in the continental United States, the cost would have been $5.08. via Media Mail, which is how I've been sending them and it has worked out well. To Craig's address in Canada it was $41.50!

I left and went to UPS (United Parcel Service) and it was still $36.57 to Craig's address, so I bit the bullet and sent them along.

So if you're from Canada, please let me know and we'll try to work something out as to postage depending on how many you buy. My estimate of adding 20% proved to be ridiculously low, :eek: so I deleted it from the OP. ;) Live and learn. :cool: BP

Jeffs61
08-07-2017, 09:34 AM
If anyone knows of any particular issues where '61 Larks were maybe featured in Turning Wheels, I'd be interested in buying some. We had a great, little '61 Lark Cruiser till about '74.

BobPalma
08-07-2017, 10:26 AM
If anyone knows of any particular issues where '61 Larks were maybe featured in Turning Wheels, I'd be interested in buying some. We had a great, little '61 Lark Cruiser till about '74.

:) Jeff: If you want "pretty much" everything about 1961 Larks that has been featured in Turning Wheels, you'll need these issues:

September 1976
January 1979
April 1981
October 1982
December 1982
February 1983
June 1994

I have all of those available except April 1981. That's a total of six issues; 4 at the 1980 and newer price ($4 each postpaid) and 2 at the pre-1980 issue price ($5 each postpaid); a total of $26 postpaid to your door.

If you want to send $26 for the six issues I have available for sale, I'll photocopy the appropriate 1961 Lark information from my permanent April 1981 copy and include those photocopies to you at no additional charge.

Let me know if you want them and are sending a check. If so, I'll "pull" those six available copies and set them aside for you. :cool: Thanks. :cool: BP

Jeffs61
08-07-2017, 08:34 PM
That's just great, $26 bucks it is. I'll have it in the mail tomorrow. Thanx, appreciate it....:!!:

BobPalma
08-07-2017, 09:49 PM
That's just great, $26 bucks it is. I'll have it in the mail tomorrow. Thanx, appreciate it....:!!:

:!: OK, Jeff; thanks. I'll set them aside for you. My address is in the OP. :cool: BP

StudeB
08-09-2017, 01:27 AM
I could use TW issues that have Fred Fox articles describing the 1951 cars, especially the Commander Starlight coupe. ... and maybe any issue that has a cover photo of this car.
Rich G

BobPalma
08-09-2017, 11:06 AM
I could use TW issues that have Fred Fox articles describing the 1951 cars, especially the Commander Starlight coupe. ... and maybe any issue that has a cover photo of this car. Rich G

:) Hi, Rich;

To have "everything you ever wanted to know" about 1951 Studebakers, including two Fred Fox feature articles and subsequent follow-up remarks, plus two issues with 1951 Starlight coupes on the cover (one black & white), you need these 8 issues of Turning Wheels:

December 1985
June 1986
December 1986
October 1988
April 2001
June 2001

Cover Cars:

October 1996 (black and white; inside back cover)
August 2008 (color; front cover)

I have all eight of those issues available. Cost would be $4 each postpaid X 8 issues = $32 postpaid.

Let me know if you want them and if so, I'll pull them and set them aside for you, pending the arrival of your check. :)

StudeB
08-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Thank you very much, Bob. Yes, I want them. I'll send the check for all eight 8 issues. - Rich

t walgamuth
08-09-2017, 08:17 PM
I'd like two or three from last month with my CE featured please. How much shipped to Lafayette please?

Tom Walgamuth
424 Lingle ave
Lafayette In 47901

BobPalma
08-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Thank you very much, Bob. Yes, I want them. I'll send the check for all eight 8 issues. - Rich

:!: OK, Rich; thanks.

I have pulled them from inventory and am holding them for you. :cool: BP

BobPalma
08-09-2017, 08:49 PM
I'd like two or three from last month with my CE featured please. How much shipped to Lafayette please?

Tom Walgamuth
424 Lingle ave
Lafayette In 47901

:) Hi, Tom; thanks, but I have few duplicates newer than maybe 2015...and none for 2017.

My parents and an Aunt were subscribing and gave me all of their old ones, plus others I have accumulated here and there through the years. However, my aunt has Alzheimer's and discontinued her membership several years ago, so I won't be getting any more from her. My Dad has severe Vascular Dementia (age 100!) and Mom (herself 98!) said he wasn't looking at them any more, so they "retired" to a $10 annual SDC membership without receiving Turning Wheels.

So for now, I won't have any recent duplicates...until some member asks me if I want a whole collection if I come and get them! :eek:

However, you may order them through Cornerstone Registration, per their regular back-issue ordering instructions in most issues of Turning Wheels.

Again, thanks for the inquiry. :) :cool: BP

Mike Sal
08-10-2017, 11:37 PM
When we moved to the farm, my magazine collection got separated into several boxes in several locations....the other day I started trying to clear some clutter in the shop in order to make room for yet another studebaker & ran across one of the boxes. Oldest in the box is Volume II, Number 1 issue of the Presidential Newsletter. I wish we would re-run Harry's editorial regarding "bad press" about the new 64 cars & how the media put a negative light on Studebaker's chances of survival. (although Harry didn't know it at the time, the board probably didn't mind it at all). In today's world of everyone yelling "fake news", it might be an interesting re-read to the membership.
Mike Sal

BobPalma
08-20-2017, 05:19 PM
;) Bumping this to the top before it gets away. :oops:

I've probably sold 60 or 70 of the surplus issues, so most of them remain and I'd like them gone. Sorry, no fire sale prices because that would be unfair to those who have already purchased some.

However, as you've seen, a couple customers requested that I research all the available issues on a certain model and then bought the group so as to have everything published in Turning Wheels to date on a given year/make/model, etc.

I'm more than happy to do that research. It usually results in a cheaper price per issue if "X" number of issues are required to supply all the information on a given year/make/model, so if you have a favorite year/make/model and are interested in purchasing "everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask" about it, let me know. :D :cool: BP