PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Tips For Putting Master Cylinder Spring Back On?

Silverhawk59
07-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Put a new master cylinder on my 60 Hawk last week but was unable to get enough leverage to put the big spring back on thats suppose to stretch and clip into a hole. Don't have a lift to get under the car, only able to lay underneath it. Any tips or recommended tools to get the spring back into place?

jclary
07-01-2017, 09:19 AM
A loop of nylon cord can be used to grip around your hand and the spring hook for leverage. Once clipped in place, the nylon loop can either be slipped off the spring, or cut to remove.

JoeHall
07-01-2017, 09:24 AM
The nylon rope trick works well, especially if you tie one end to an anchor, that way you are reducing the pull effort by 50 percent, but the drag on the rope takes some of that advantage back. I saw recently, where someone had bent the spring side to side, and installed flat washers between the spring spirals, one at a time, till it was long enough to connect. I used to just use a pair of pliers to grab the end of the spring, and stretch it long enough to hook into place. But those days are long gone now. LOL

jclary
07-01-2017, 09:39 AM
As with anything mechanical, some common sense is required. There are always safety concerns. Anything "stretchable," has the potential to release energy and injure. I have some machinery with springs I can't pull enough by hand strength alone. For those, I have used a heavier nylon rope, and a "come-along" tool to hook them in place. Choosing safe tools, and material for the tasks should always be considered.

junior
07-01-2017, 10:44 AM
I've heard of the flat washer or coin 'trick' working but haven't tried it...yet. cool thing about this method is once the spring is on, just depress the brake pedal and all the washers or coins fall out. cheers, junior

Ross
07-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Pull the rear bolt out enough to let the spring bracket rotate downwards. Hook on the spring. Carefully rotate the spring bracket back up and push the bolt through.

JoeHall
07-01-2017, 11:14 AM
As with anything mechanical, some common sense is required. There are always safety concerns. Anything "stretchable," has the potential to release energy and injure. I have some machinery with springs I can't pull enough by hand strength alone. For those, I have used a heavier nylon rope, and a "come-along" tool to hook them in place. Choosing safe tools, and material for the tasks should always be considered.

This reads more like a federally mandated disclaimer than a tech tip. LOL

DEEPNHOCK
07-01-2017, 11:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RE3NAVpAwA

I've heard of the flat washer or coin 'trick' working but haven't tried it...yet. cool thing about this method is once the spring is on, just depress the brake pedal and all the washers or coins fall out. cheers, junior

jclary
07-01-2017, 11:31 AM
This reads more like a federally mandated disclaimer than a tech tip. LOL

Well, I did spend time in the military...where instructions are always given as if you were born only yesterday.

Then, after college, I worked in Vocational Rehabilitation. My specialty was working with the visually impaired (blind). That often involved teaching how to do tasks without eyesight. It is amazing what I was taught by them.:)

Lynn
07-01-2017, 11:56 AM
I used a loop of coat hanger.

Silverhawk59
07-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Thank you, the washer trick worked :)