No announcement yet.

How To Identify My Transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: How To Identify My Transmission?

I'm trying to identify the Borg Warner Transmission I just bought but could only find these tags: 4 24 R and 537558. Which model Borg Warner tranny do I have?

keep looking for case stampings...T96, T98, T86, .....

Comment

You might say if it is an:
      -automatic
      -three speed
      -three speed with overdrive
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I do know that it came out of a 1960 V8 automatic Lark if that narrows some of the model numbers down?

Comment

Borg-Warner model 8 cast iron automatic.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The numbers you posted are NOT from the Transmission, they are the Studebaker Casting Number and the Date Code from the CONVERTER HOUSING, it is not Borg Warner, it was cast by Studebaker.

If it is from a '60 Lark, the TRANSMISSION is a Studebaker Flight-O-Matic, and as Bez said: a Model 8, Cast Iron Case Automatic made by Borg Warner.

IF it is from a V8, it has 3 Speeds and starts in Second, if started in Drive.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 07-01-2017, 01:13 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              The numbers you posted are NOT from the Transmission, they are the Studebaker Casting Number and the Date Code from the CONVERTER HOUSING, it is not Borg Warner, it was cast by Studebaker.

If it is from a '60 Lark, the TRANSMISSION is a Studebaker Flight-O-Matic, and as Bez said: a Model 8, Cast Iron Case Automatic made by Borg Warner.

IF it is from a V8, it has 3 Speeds and starts in Second, if started in Drive.
              Found more code tags today on Hawk after clearing sludge but still can't find anything that exactly says Model 8. Here are the codes I found. Tag on side of tranny says WGDIV AS6-5P. Serial Number is 65364. Found tags on top that say L13-9 and N-19.

Comment

AS 6-5P is correct for a '60 Lark VIII. The ID tag is/was painted white.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                X