Nader drives a Studebaker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nader drives a Studebaker!

I just learned that Ralph Nader still drives his 1949 Studebaker. I guess he's had it for decades, based on what I'm reading. One story says while driving his Studebaker one day when he was at Princeton, he just avoided running over a jay-walking Albert Einstein by slamming on his brakes.

I'm not big on Mr. Nader, but he's gone up a notch since I learned about his taste in automobiles!

I wish I knew what model he owns.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

"He last owned a car (a '49 Studebaker) in the late '50s. He went years without a television set but now has a tiny black-and-white; reception is an adventure. He rents an apartment near Dupont Circle and often stays at the family home in Winsted, Conn. He writes his books on what he calls a "perilous" Underwood typewriter. He keeps meaning to buy a new ribbon."

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

"He last owned a car (a '49 Studebaker) in the late '50s. He went years without a television set but now has a tiny black-and-white; reception is an adventure. He rents an apartment near Dupont Circle and often stays at the family home in Winsted, Conn. He writes his books on what he calls a "perilous" Underwood typewriter. He keeps meaning to buy a new ribbon."

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

This source says he still drives it, but they could be wrong.

404 - Page not found - The page you are looking for might have been removed or temporarily unavailable.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

This source says he still drives it, but they could be wrong.

404 - Page not found - The page you are looking for might have been removed or temporarily unavailable.

Comment

He is going to be in deep doggie doo come Feb. 09 when TV goes digital, he will need rabbit ears that reach to the stars.

Comment

He is going to be in deep doggie doo come Feb. 09 when TV goes digital, he will need rabbit ears that reach to the stars.

Comment

Please bear in mind as you read this that I have no problem with seat belts, airbags, etc. But don't you think it's funny that the man who forced said seat belts, airbags, and other such items upon us drives a car that was built with (and probably still has) NONE of the above? I don't remember when or where I read it, but somewhere I read that he also bought his last pair of shoes sometime around 1959, so to hear that he still owns a 1949 car only makes sense, I guess.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Please bear in mind as you read this that I have no problem with seat belts, airbags, etc. But don't you think it's funny that the man who forced said seat belts, airbags, and other such items upon us drives a car that was built with (and probably still has) NONE of the above? I don't remember when or where I read it, but somewhere I read that he also bought his last pair of shoes sometime around 1959, so to hear that he still owns a 1949 car only makes sense, I guess.

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Nader, has lost my respect. He messed in politics and he can go to Mars and loose the directions home, my opinion.

Comment

Nader, has lost my respect. He messed in politics and he can go to Mars and loose the directions home, my opinion.

Comment

Dittos

Insult to Studebakers that he ever had one.

Comment

Dittos

Insult to Studebakers that he ever had one.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

Nader, has lost my respect. He messed in politics ....

Like a lot of crusaders/reformers/idealists he started to believe his own press...decades of Consumer Reports and Phil Donahue fawning over him went to his head.

Nowdays, he's just an anti-business Luddite.
                            He appearently thinks everyone works for the government or non-profits organizations. (You expect him to say "Gee isn't everyone a university professor or PBS executive? All my friends are.")

I better be careful what I say. He sued Car and Driver magazine over a joke once.
                            I don't want him calling John Edwards to launch a lawsuit against me..

Getting back to cars.. Back in the early 80s he signed a pledge (with the afortementioned Phil and others)...to buy the first production (American?) car with airbags.
                            Don't know if he did. But I believe Donahue had a custom Volvo limo made.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

Nader, has lost my respect. He messed in politics ....

Like a lot of crusaders/reformers/idealists he started to believe his own press...decades of Consumer Reports and Phil Donahue fawning over him went to his head.

Nowdays, he's just an anti-business Luddite.
                              He appearently thinks everyone works for the government or non-profits organizations. (You expect him to say "Gee isn't everyone a university professor or PBS executive? All my friends are.")

I better be careful what I say. He sued Car and Driver magazine over a joke once.
                              I don't want him calling John Edwards to launch a lawsuit against me..

Getting back to cars.. Back in the early 80s he signed a pledge (with the afortementioned Phil and others)...to buy the first production (American?) car with airbags.
                              Don't know if he did. But I believe Donahue had a custom Volvo limo made.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X