View Full Version : What type of air filter housing

06-29-2017, 01:38 AM
A friend tightened the wing nut on the air filter on my 62 GT Hawk and broke the plastic-like adapter that was between the 4 bbl carb and the filter housing. There is no name on the chrome housing. I have been trying to find an adapter at various auto parts stores and have not found one large enough.

I am considering attempting to make an adapter out of tin. Also, I am interested in what kind of housing/filter others have found that will fit the Carter carb 4 bbl. on my 289 engine.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.


06-29-2017, 02:48 AM
I think you can get that plastic adapter to fit a Holley size air cleaner to the Carter size carb from Summit Racing. That plastic ring adds about 3/4" height and was too tall for my car so I made an adapter from 1/4" aluminum plate that only adds 1/8".

Mrs K Corbin
06-29-2017, 06:46 AM
And when you find it, post the part#.....

06-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Here are a few at Speedway. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Search?query=air%20filter%20spacer&facet=GA_Nav_Part:Air%20Cleaner%20Spacers