Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a simple request

Hi everyone,

I have the utmost respect for everyone here. Many of you have helped me a great deal with various elementary questions I have had.

I would like to make one observation and a request, though. I think the "battery hold down" joke has long since jumped the shark. It is dead and no longer funny.

Please, please, please, enough is enough.

Thank you.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programing.

that's a new one to me - "jumped the shark" Any history on that?

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

that's a new one to me - "jumped the shark" Any history on that?

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Comedian Jeff Foxworthy has made a small fortune (no, make that a large fortune!) because he knows the best humor has some element of truth in it; that's what makes it funny.

The battery hold-down mention is more of an "observation" than a joke, because there is nothing funny about the damage that can be inflicted on a vehicle when a battery falls over into a fan, a generator or alternator, or some other engine compartment component where it isn't supposed to be. Most of us know this to be especially important for 12-volt C/K Studebakers, where the battery is almost dangerously close to the underside of the hood anyway.

Having a correct battery hold-down is dirt-cheap in the big scheme of things....and if someone is marketing a high-dollar car and boasting of its correctness, authenticity, and/or completeness even though it is clearly missing a battery hold-down, my never-so-humble opinion is that the presentation is inexcusably flawed. [:0]

Further, it's a detail that can be terribly costly if overlooked, with grave consequences for the appearance of an expensive, restored car...or the safety and dependability of a daily-driver.

So I agree; we may have beaten the issue precariously close to death of late, even though we've had a lot of fun with it. The importance of the matter should not be taken any more lightly as a result, however: I'm personally glad most forum members are paying increased attention to this important little part of every vehicle we own or see offered for sale.

So let's give it a rest for, say, 48 hours...! [:0][}] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Comedian Jeff Foxworthy has made a small fortune (no, make that a large fortune!) because he knows the best humor has some element of truth in it; that's what makes it funny.

The battery hold-down mention is more of an "observation" than a joke, because there is nothing funny about the damage that can be inflicted on a vehicle when a battery falls over into a fan, a generator or alternator, or some other engine compartment component where it isn't supposed to be. Most of us know this to be especially important for 12-volt C/K Studebakers, where the battery is almost dangerously close to the underside of the hood anyway.

Having a correct battery hold-down is dirt-cheap in the big scheme of things....and if someone is marketing a high-dollar car and boasting of its correctness, authenticity, and/or completeness even though it is clearly missing a battery hold-down, my never-so-humble opinion is that the presentation is inexcusably flawed. [:0]

Further, it's a detail that can be terribly costly if overlooked, with grave consequences for the appearance of an expensive, restored car...or the safety and dependability of a daily-driver.

So I agree; we may have beaten the issue precariously close to death of late, even though we've had a lot of fun with it. The importance of the matter should not be taken any more lightly as a result, however: I'm personally glad most forum members are paying increased attention to this important little part of every vehicle we own or see offered for sale.

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The other day I had occassion to borrow the battery out of this '61 Crusier I've been tinkering with. It's a fairly new battery and I'm certain the PO bought it not long before I acquired the car.
            While there IS a battery hold-down in a box of miscellaneous parts in the trunk, it never made it's way to the battery.
            Not having handled this battery before, as I hefted it up and over the fender, my left hand sensed something ragged about the case. Setting it on the bench behind me, I could see that the right front corner of the battery had done battle with the radiator fan![xx(] Not enough to have drained the acid out, but close![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The other day I had occassion to borrow the battery out of this '61 Crusier I've been tinkering with. It's a fairly new battery and I'm certain the PO bought it not long before I acquired the car.
              While there IS a battery hold-down in a box of miscellaneous parts in the trunk, it never made it's way to the battery.
              Not having handled this battery before, as I hefted it up and over the fender, my left hand sensed something ragged about the case. Setting it on the bench behind me, I could see that the right front corner of the battery had done battle with the radiator fan![xx(] Not enough to have drained the acid out, but close![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I found the posts that describe battery explosion, along with my neighbor blowing up his lawn tractor battery this summer, has raised my awareness that this happens fairly frequently. I just took my 39 out of storage for David's funeral and I noticed a heckuva spark when I disconnected the trickle charger. Per Nel's advice I had at least put a towel on it and avoided being over the top of it. It didn't blow up but it only takes one time and I was working alone in an isolated place.

Oh NO![V]
                The battery police have jumped my posts, both positive and negative.
                I will be put in three to six cells with only water to sustain me.[V]

Lark Parker
                If at first you don't succeed -- you will get a lot of advice.
                sigpic
                Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I found the posts that describe battery explosion, along with my neighbor blowing up his lawn tractor battery this summer, has raised my awareness that this happens fairly frequently. I just took my 39 out of storage for David's funeral and I noticed a heckuva spark when I disconnected the trickle charger. Per Nel's advice I had at least put a towel on it and avoided being over the top of it. It didn't blow up but it only takes one time and I was working alone in an isolated place.

Oh NO![V]
                  The battery police have jumped my posts, both positive and negative.
                  I will be put in three to six cells with only water to sustain me.[V]

Lark Parker
                  If at first you don't succeed -- you will get a lot of advice.
                  sigpic
                  Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

"Jump the shark" means something has existed past it's time, to the point of being an embarrassment. The phrase came about from the show, "Happy Days". When they made an episode where Fonzi jumped his bike over a shark tank, it became clear that they had run out of show ideas, and it was time for the show to end.

I concur that the hold-down thing has long since "jumped the shark"

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

"Jump the shark" means something has existed past it's time, to the point of being an embarrassment. The phrase came about from the show, "Happy Days". When they made an episode where Fonzi jumped his bike over a shark tank, it became clear that they had run out of show ideas, and it was time for the show to end.

I concur that the hold-down thing has long since "jumped the shark"

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
                        The importance of the matter should not be taken any more lightly as a result, however: I'm personally glad most forum members are paying increased attention to this important little part of every vehicle we own or see offered for sale.

Well put, Bob! I'm sure I can hold off for 48 hours![^]

Craig

Comment

The importance of the matter should not be taken any more lightly as a result, however: I'm personally glad most forum members are paying increased attention to this important little part of every vehicle we own or see offered for sale.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
                            Thanks, Craig.

While I was kidding about the 48 hours, stop and consider: Our funning around with this battery hold-down topic has, I'll bet, made most forum regulars psychologically more aware of hold-downs, and they'll be more apt to spot a missing hold-down than before...and maybe a little more inclined to secure one on their car or truck before heading out!

And that's good. [^] BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
                              Thanks, Craig.

While I was kidding about the 48 hours, stop and consider: Our funning around with this battery hold-down topic has, I'll bet, made most forum regulars psychologically more aware of hold-downs, and they'll be more apt to spot a missing hold-down than before...and maybe a little more inclined to secure one on their car or truck before heading out!

And that's good. [^] BP

Comment

Working...
                              X