Looking for more correct headlights for my '39 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for more correct headlights for my '39 Champion

My 1939 Champion looks like one of the former owners did some kind of home-made adapter so that it could use sealed beam headlights. I'm guessing that switching to a 1940 Champion Headlight assembly would have accomplished that but don't know anyone to ask. Also it looks like the bezels from a mid '40's Studebaker P/U truck might work. Anyone out there have a clue??? Anyone out there have some 1940 or 41 headlights??? Thanks!!! JP
    PS: In the following pics: The Tan car is mine, the blue one is a file photo of a stock 1939.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	headlights.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1755232Click image for larger version

Name:	my light.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1755234Click image for larger version

Name:	1939_Blue.jpg
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1755233

The 1940 seal beam headlights (used in all Champion, Commander and Presidents) will fit your '39. It may require that the wiring ends be modified but the lights themselves will bolt right in providing the original holes in the fenders have not been altered. The 1941-46 headlights will not work w/o considerable modification and would not be a practical retrofit. In the past I have sold complete new 1939 and 1940 units but prefer to keep the spares I have now since I have several 1939 and 1940 cars that use them. The '39 Coupe Express shown in image #2 below shows the '40 headlights in a '39.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8581 copy.jpg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1715364Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8646 copy.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1715365
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

In the 1940s and 50s, companies like JC Whitney sold sealed-beam conversion kits for nearly every make of car. So it's possible that the kit used in your car was not home-made.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

looks too good to be home-made.

@ Richard, if you'd let me Swipe the Couple Delivery, you'd have one less to worry about!

Comment

I suspect this was a conversion supplied by Studebaker to convert bulb-style headlights to what was then "new" sealed beam headlights. It's been while since I have had a set, but I remember seeing these in collection of parts I had for sale, and I believe they had a Studebaker part # on the box.

I was fortunate to find a pair of original '39 lenses, rims and reflectors at Hershey 2016 and bought them. They're going on my '39 Coupe Express.

Comment

I have some of the '39 parts but do not believe I have it all. The '40 parts will fit and look better than the retrofits now on it.

Comment

Having never owned a '39, I have not developed a good grasp of their details. If you hadn't pointed it out,I would have never noticed. The car still looks great!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I like the look of the original 39 lights. Keep searching, and good luck. The only drawback, is that they won't be as bright as the sealed beams, if you do much night driving.
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Please keep me in mind if you find anything. I like the way the '39 headlights look also, but I'm probably more likely to run into a full kit with the 1940 lights. Studebaker International has the '40 headlight setup in their catalog, but they are out of stock. I have a ton of searches saved on eBay and I will keep looking. Thanx!!! JP

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Having never owned a '39, I have not developed a good grasp of their details. If you hadn't pointed it out,I would have never noticed. The car still looks great!
                    Thank You!! :-) JP

Comment

l have a friend who has a pair of NOS '39 headlight assemblies in beautiful condition - the buckets, reflectors, glass and chrome bezels, l believe - and he wants to sell them (his car that he bot them for is too far gone for restoration now).
                      Please let me know you interest here or PM me. He's not on the forum - lll just pass your info to him.
                      Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                      61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                      Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                      Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
                        l have a friend who has a pair of NOS '39 headlight assemblies in beautiful condition - the buckets, reflectors, glass and chrome bezels, l believe - and he wants to sell them (his car that he bot them for is too far gone for restoration now).
                        Please let me know you interest here or PM me. He's not on the forum - lll just pass your info to him.
                        Thanx Roger!! My email is johnnypro@aol.com Let me know if he doesn't have email. :-) JP

Comment

Ok, John. Yes he does have email. l will let him know of your interest. He will reply, no prob.
                          Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                          61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                          Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                          Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
                          X