After Market Valley Covers - Beware!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Market Valley Covers - Beware!

I started a thread last fall wondering why my 62 GT 289 was spewing out so much oil out of the road draft tube. I was losing 1 qt every 300 miles or less. The engine has less than 5000 miles on a rebuild so blow by seemed unlikely. I mentioned the car had an aftermarket finned aluminum valley cover installed. Someone out there suggested the cover could be causing all of the issues. They were right!

The aftermarket cover had no baffles. The oil was free to simply flow out of the cover into the tube and all over every road I drove on. I just installed an OEM cover and I am happy to report that not only is there no more oil coming out of the draft tube but there is virtually no oil leaking from the engine, and yes there is oil in it!

So, if anyone is considering one of the finned covers with a road draft tube be sure to look for the proper baffles. I know they exist because I saw one in South Bend at the swap meet in May. Not sure it would be so critical if a PCV system is in place?

Here are 2 photos of the finned, baffleless cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170627_215826.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1755226Click image for larger version

Name:	20170627_215839.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1755227 As you can see the oil was free to flow right out of the cover through the large hole where the draft tube connects. OEM covers have a full length baffle to prevent this.
    Thanks again to those who lead me in this direction. What a relief to look under the car after a drive and see nothing but dry asphalt!

If you want to get rid of that cover, I could help you out on that.

Thanks,

Ken Buchanan

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post

Thanks,

Ken Buchanan
      I have replied to your pm.

Comment

I think that was Post #9 over on the Tech Talk Forum:

StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post

Thanks,

Ken Buchanan

My thought exactly! You beat me to it Ken

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I think that was Post #9 over on the Tech Talk Forum:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...oad-Draft-Tube
            Yes Siree, that was the one! Definitely was the problem for this situation.

Comment

Also....
              The stock stamped sheet metal valley cover needs meticulous cleaning, as a lot of crud gets trapped between the two layers of metal.
              An exterior wash is not enough...
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If you have a self cleaning oven on your stove, that would be the way to get rid of the grunge...MAYbe...

Comment

345 Desota Only if your single or have another place to live.

Comment

Congratulations, Kato. Sure beats pulling the engine and changing main seals. I know it's embarrassing when your ride leaves a mark, but the more you drive' em, the more you learn. Every little improvement is like a new car. Enjoy.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                      Congratulations, Kato. Sure beats pulling the engine and changing main seals. I know it's embarrassing when your ride leaves a mark, but the more you drive' em, the more you learn. Every little improvement is like a new car. Enjoy.
                      Absolutely Dave! Barely a drop of oil now! I'm learning more and more each day about this old beauty! The car I mean

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                        Also....
                        The stock stamped sheet metal valley cover needs meticulous cleaning, as a lot of crud gets trapped between the two layers of metal.
                        An exterior wash is not enough...
                        I was warned about that, possibly by you! I put a brand new never been used cover on so it should be good for awhile. Might be easier to replace with new rather than cleaning as they are not expensive!

Comment

Working...
                        X