Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker Int'l South Bend 'Store' Closing. (6/27/2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Int'l South Bend 'Store' Closing. (6/27/2017)

(Saw this on Facebook)

(copy)
    Ed Reynolds

‎Ed Reynolds‎ to Studebaker Addicts (international)
    4 hrs ·
    I have closed the Studebaker International store in South Bend and will continue to use the site as a warehouse. My apologies to local customers who have supporeted this store, however, the difficulty of staffing and maintaining does not justify continuing. To those wishing to order parts, they may be ordered from Greenfield and sent to you, or they can be delivered to our South Bend location. They can usually be picked up on Wednesdays between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm., but please verify this when placing you orders.
    I want to be clear that this closing has nothing to do with the recent disagreement between S.I. and the Michiana Chapter. The possibility of closing this store has been considered for a long time. The South Bend store will most likely reopen during the May meet in South Bend.
    Studebaker International continues to do well and the closing of the South Bend store should not reflect upon the entire business. We are continuing to offer more parts as the identification process continues and new parts are reproduced.

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

.......so much for relentlessly swallowing up the competition. Who wins now?

Comment

Another thread here but your title gets to the point.....http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-it-s-not-so-!

Comment

It's just the walk in store that is closing. The warehouse is still operating.
        Orders must be placed and set in will call for pick up.

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
        .......so much for relentlessly swallowing up the competition. Who wins now?

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
          Another thread here but your title gets to the point.....http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-it-s-not-so-!
          And that thread will be lost within a month because the header/title says nothing....
          Doesn't bother me, but headers/titles are important.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            And that thread will be lost within a month because the header/title says nothing....
            Doesn't bother me, but headers/titles are important.
            So...I'll post my comments (made in the other thread) in this thread too!
            As Studebaker folks, if any group should be accustomed to change, surviving, and adapting...it should be US! It is one thing for us to engage in our usual banter. Tossing opinions, and advice to one another about our cars, telling tales, and exposing ourselves as the motley group we really are. For many of us, this Studebaker stuff (although important) is a hobby. We are so fortunate. We should be forever grateful for those who have served in important positions...some, visionaries, others just well intended hard working volunteers, have somehow managed to make this SDC thing not only survive but thrive.

Sure, we have had some lumps & bumps, on the way. Chapters have formed, dissolved, and there have been some conflicts, hiccups, squabbles, but nothing fatal. Vendors are precious. I have even "vended" a time or two myself. Unlike some of us "occasional/casual" vendors, Ed, and several others have parlayed it into serious successful business. My 72 years has taught me that there is no successful business without risks, sacrifice, and sweat. I don't know Ed well, nor have I hardly bought enough product from SI to justify my catalog. But, I will also not engage in bemoaning or critiquing his business decisions. (That is...unless he asks for it.) Through the decades, we've lost treasured members to the ages. Vendors have come & gone, venues have changed, yet...we adapt and persevere. Best wishes Ed/S.I., if and when I deplete my "stash" enough to place the "BIG ORDER," I hope you are still here!
            Last edited by jclary; 06-27-2017, 04:18 PM.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It made sense to move the SASCO parts inventory to another nearby facility in SB, but I have long wondered about whether the walk-in business in SB justified a second fully-staffed retail store. So I view this as a good business move that will ensure SI's future viability.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

I believe Ed indicated that he would open and staff the store the first weekend of May each year. Payrolls in two locations had a big part in the decision, I am sure. I have a feeling that one person running to South Bend once a week to pick parts would be able to keep Ed's door open for us Studebaker guys that need parts.

Comment

I never even knew he had a second store. So for me it just makes things just the way I thought they already were.
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I cant imagine the South Bend facility being used too much longer due to the expenses of rent, insurance, etc. Dispense of the things of little to no value and ship the remainder to his main facility. If you have never been to the South Bend store, get there now before it is too late!
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If you have ever seen that Studebaker Factory Inventory, you would know that where it is could be just about the ONLY place in the World Big Enough!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A wise decision by Ed which will keep Studebaker International still strong for all of us. Ed has done a wonderful job over many years managing parts for Studebaker. I have personally seen him working very hard at previous SDC International Meets, Studebaker of California & even here in Australia.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                        MELBOURNE.

Comment

The story of everything these days... All online. Next I'll be ordering a Bucket of KFC for Drone Delivery...LOL

Comment

Mrs K Corbin is so right.. Malls and department stores closing all over the place while online sites like Amazon are making huge profit .
                            I'm guilty for sure of online shopping as it is so easy and shopping from home in your underwear .. If your not with the changing times
                            you will end up like Woolworths . I have bought parts through SI and its been always great . Will be buying many more parts in the future
                            so I hope Ed continues to make money at it and can continue to provide for us ..
                            Love my Lark

Comment

I always thought the South Bend location was only open as a storefront for events like the May swap. I have to imagine that the vast majority of his business is phone orders. I've never had a local shop that sells Studebaker only parts. How many of us have? I am thankful we have quite a few vendors large and small who make it easy for me to keep my Studes on the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X