Clear All

• Studebaker and Blatz a Winning Combo

Did Mr. Ed have a thirst for the suds?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1755223

I love Blatz. Blatz bloats bladders better!
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I went to a motorcycle TT race years ago. They had three beer trucks there, one Budweiser, one Schiltz and a Blatz. It was a warm summer day and the Bud truck was sold out after about an hour. The Schiltz truck took another hour to sell out. The Blatz truck was half full when the race was finished. Nuff said.
      Rick
      Kingman, AZ

Comment

I would rather drink Blatz than either Schlitz or Budweiser. Unless somebody bought the brewery and moved it to another location, that is. That happened to my beloved Grain Belt forty years ago. It tasted lousy after they bought the brewery.

The last time I was in Minneapolis, someone had revived Grain Belt, calling it Grain Belt Nordeast and it was good again.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Well...having never developed a taste for beer, 'cept for post #3...this has gone completely over my head.

But... post 2 and three are funny.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I haven't had a beer since 1977 when the guys in the art dept. at Detroit Edison would go to an Irish pub for liquid lunch. I think it was Labatt's on draft. It was hard to finish the day afterwords.

Comment

About 30 years ago I was visiting friends in western Wisconsin. It so happened that on that weekend was the local festival. Part of the downtown area was roped off as a food court/beer garden. In order to get either, you were required to exchange cash for a book of tickets. I told the lady to let me have $20 worth of tickets. She looked at me a bit oddly, made me think I was perhaps being cheap. I got 4 "books" of tickets, each book containing 20 tickets. I went to get a beer and was asked; "do you want the good beer or the cheap beer"? I asked what the good beer was? Strohs. Woof. What is the cheap beer? Blatz. How many tickets for the "good" beer? 2 tickets. The cheap beer? 1 ticket. Turns out, each ticket was worth $.25. I then understood why the ticket seller looked at me in an odd manner, trying to figure out what kind of drunken lout I actually was.
              To get a brat was 3 tickets, a hamburger 4 tickets. I was rather popular that day, as I was buying EVERYBODY a beer. There was no possible way that I and my friends, 6 of us total, could have drank that much beer, especially given the choices. I had always thought Strohs tasted like it had been filtered thru an old sweat sock. As for Blatz, I considered sending the brewery a letter, telling them they should maybe check their horse for a kidney infection.
              I did however find some regional beer's that I liked up there. Heilmans Special Export, and Pabst Golden Draught were 2 that tickled my taste buds.
              Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

I am thankful for the proliferation of the local micro breweries nowadays. It's possible to get a really good stout from most any of them, even at the prices they charge.
                Rick
                Kingman, AZ

Comment

Jingle: "I'm from Milwaukee and I oughta know, it's draft brewed Blatz Beer, wherever you go. It's smoother, more flavor, less filling; it's clear, Blatz is Milwaukee's finest beer."
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If I was in Wisconsin, I would have reached for a Leinenkugel before any of the other brands mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      I would rather drink Blatz than either Schlitz or Budweiser. Unless somebody bought the brewery and moved it to another location, that is. That happened to my beloved Grain Belt forty years ago. It tasted lousy after they bought the brewery.

The last time I was in Minneapolis, someone had revived Grain Belt, calling it Grain Belt Nordeast and it was good again.
                      20 years ago or more ago I picked up a few Grain Belt collectible items. I let a friend have some but kept a can bank and an unopened steel can of beer. I thought it was cool that it was unopened but I wouldn't dare drink it.

Comment

Speaking of Grain Belt, here is a very interesting site about a historic Grain Belt neon billboard near Minneapolis.
                        We love you! Arguably the most beloved, most mysterious, and most written about sign in Minneapolis, the Grain Belt Beer sign on Nicollet Island, has a rich history. It is name checked by the natio…

sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          Speaking of Grain Belt, here is a very interesting site about a historic Grain Belt neon billboard near Minneapolis.
                          We love you! Arguably the most beloved, most mysterious, and most written about sign in Minneapolis, the Grain Belt Beer sign on Nicollet Island, has a rich history. It is name checked by the natio…

Very cool! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                            If I was in Wisconsin, I would have reached for a Leinenkugel before any of the other brands mentioned.
                            Absolutely! Back in the mid to late 60's, I went to the Hayward, WI area several times every summer to go fishing. We polished off a lot of Leinenkugel's every trip. Good stuff back then.
                            Rick
                            Kingman, AZ

Comment

I'm originally from the Mpls. area I worked for Flieschman Malting in NE Mpls 40 yrs back, Drank a lot of Blatz, probably too much

Originally posted by Milaca View Post

Mark Riesch
                              New Bern, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X