PDA

View Full Version : Say it's not so !

kmul221
06-27-2017, 11:29 AM
Just read that Ed Reynolds is closing the South Bend store due to staffing problems ? You can still order parts as he is still in business .

Guido
06-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Someone should verify this before it takes on a life of its own.

2R5
06-27-2017, 12:25 PM
It's correct , Ed has posted on facebook

sweetolbob
06-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Staffing problems!!!????

52hawk
06-27-2017, 01:00 PM
I always thought I'd love to work there,if I lived nearby!

Mike Sal
06-27-2017, 01:20 PM
After all that work to organize the place....seems a shame. Has he announced the plan (Moving it all to Indiana??) & timing?
Mike Sal

StudeDave57
06-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Staffing problems!!!????

Well, sorta.
But when the rest of the sentence is included it reads like this~

"My apologies to local customers who have supported this store, however, the difficulty of staffing and maintaining does not justify continuing."

Soooo.... ;)

I'll let Ed post the rest if he wishes.

Scott
06-27-2017, 01:59 PM
Is the "South Bend" store different than the Greenfield facility?

StudeRich
06-27-2017, 02:24 PM
After all that work to organize the place....seems a shame. Has he announced the plan (Moving it all to Indiana??) & timing?
Mike Sal

Is the "South Bend" store different than the Greenfield facility?

I guess (in a FEW instances) it's too bad most or many of us do not frequent Facebook, a Huge bunch of misunderstandings here, and I will not try to fix them all.

#1 The only difference between the TWO Stores has been the size and Type of the Inventory and the Locations.

#2 The Parts were never NOT in Indiana!

#3 Nothing is moving or changing for non-walk-in Customers.

#4 So the way I understand it nothing changes except; for the MOST part, any Local walk-ins need to go to Greenfield, IN and no longer South Bend.

It appears that, as usual, most orders come from the Phone Line, and Internet Website and some are "pulled" from the HUGE Stude. Factory Inventory in South Bend, but all are ordered and shipped from Greenfield, IN as usual. :)

Scott
06-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Now it doesn't seem like such a big deal. Thanks Rich.

tim333
06-27-2017, 03:00 PM
I think rent in South Bend was $18000 a month, I'd move too.

jclary
06-27-2017, 03:59 PM
As Studebaker folks, if any group should be accustomed to change, surviving, and adapting...it should be US!:rolleyes: It is one thing for us to engage in our usual banter. Tossing opinions, and advice to one another about our cars, telling tales, and exposing ourselves as the motley group we really are.:o For many of us, this Studebaker stuff (although important) is a hobby. We are so fortunate. We should be forever grateful for those who have served in important positions...some, visionaries, others just well intended hard working volunteers, have somehow managed to make this SDC thing not only survive but thrive.:!:

Sure, we have had some lumps & bumps, on the way. Chapters have formed, dissolved, and there have been some conflicts, hiccups, squabbles, but nothing fatal. Vendors are precious. I have even "vended" a time or two myself. Unlike some of us "occasional/casual" vendors, Ed, and several others have parlayed it into serious successful business. My 72 years has taught me that there is no successful business without risks, sacrifice, and sweat. I don't know Ed well, nor have I hardly bought enough product from SI to justify my catalog. But, I will also not engage in bemoaning or critiquing his business decisions. (That is...unless he asks for it.) Through the decades, we've lost treasured members to the ages.:( Vendors have come & gone, venues have changed, yet...we adapt and persevere. Best wishes Ed/S.I., if and when I deplete my "stash" enough to place the "BIG ORDER," I hope you are still here!:):D:)

JRoberts
06-28-2017, 07:34 AM
This other thread explains it all....http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?101507-Studebaker-Int-l-South-Bend-Store-Closing-(6-27-2017)

raprice
06-28-2017, 09:58 AM
I've had nothing but pleasant and successful transactions with Ed Reynolds and his staff.
Since 99% of my purchases have been via the phone, to me it makes sense for Ed to close the South Bend retail store. As he has stated, South Bend will continue to operate as a warehouse for those precious parts. Over the years, Ed has provided a continuous source of parts for our Studes and for that, I'm grateful.
Rog

TX Rebel
06-28-2017, 10:00 AM
WOW! I had heard it was pretty cheap, and maybe it is for the square footage though still a tremendous amt. of overhead!

packard352
06-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Someone posted on Facebook that rent was $30K / month. Possibly two 'take-aways' are... for those not on Facebook, there are plenty of separate Studebaker 'groups' for folk to join with the second and more important - that Studebaker International continue to thrive. Ed hinted at wishing to expand his remanufactured stock, which as NOS becomes more scare, is to be applauded IMHO

TX Rebel
06-29-2017, 09:59 AM
Someone posted on Facebook that rent was $30K / month. Possibly two 'take-aways' are... for those not on Facebook, there are plenty of separate Studebaker 'groups' for folk to join with the second and more important - that Studebaker International continue to thrive. Ed hinted at wishing to expand his remanufactured stock, which as NOS becomes more scare, is to be applauded IMHO

Yes, indeed! Thank goodness that a dedicated & highly skilled business operator who loves Studebakers is running the operation. It exists because of the efforts of many dedicated & prescient individuals over the past half century and could all be lost if not managed carefully. He does not have an easy job. His success and that of his employees & suppliers is our success.

Buzzard
06-29-2017, 12:04 PM
I highly agree with Barry (post # 17) as it's all too easy to just call and order our required parts without a second thought that these parts are for cars and trucks OVER 50 YEARS OF AGE!!!
We should all applaud Ed and our other vendors for being there for us in our times of need and support them to the fullest.
Bill