Correct tire information needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct tire information needed

Hi: My friend has a 1962 Daytona Hardtop and thinks the original tire size was 6:70x15 but does not remember the white wall width. Any help? Thanks. stupak

Think it would have been 2 1/4 inches or so - each tire manufacturer was a little different. In 63 Studebaker went to the 1 inch.

Comment

There was a discussion about the 1962 V8 equipped cars white wall width in 1987 Fred Fox article on the 1962 GT Hawk. It seems that the first part of the year the tires were a wider white wall length but changed sometime during the model year. I think I gave my copy of TW away but I do remember that there was a challenge to view all the production orders to see when the change was made.

Monkey wrench in the works

Bob Miles
      Tucson AZ

Comment

That would not be a surprise. If a tire company had a narrow white wall in 1960 and a customer wanted it on their Lark/Hawk/Champ, Studebaker would have installed them.

Always interesting to see the first photos of the Avanti being tested - it had the wide white walls on it - glad it had the narrows when it finally got sold to the general public.

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
          There was a discussion about the 1962 V8 equipped cars white wall width in 1987 Fred Fox article on the 1962 GT Hawk. It seems that the first part of the year the tires were a wider white wall length but changed sometime during the model year. I think I gave my copy of TW away but I do remember that there was a challenge to view all the production orders to see when the change was made.

Monkey wrench in the works

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ

To add to this My 62 Daytona was built in October of 61, a fairly early car and it has a hand written note on the Production Order to ship with the narrow whitewalls. That says to me the narrow white walls were available but the wide whites were still the norm this early in the model year. I have a pic taken in Feb. 1962 of a truck unloading larks at the dealership and they have the narrow whitewalls.

Joe
          Last edited by irish; 06-27-2017, 11:36 AM.
          sigpic

1962 Daytona
          1964 Cruiser
          And a few others

Comment

I think the wide whites look great on the white Avanti, not so much on the blue. I think the color of the car makes a big difference, a black or white car always looks good with wide white walls. Only 1" on my blue car wide was too much.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. He is going with the 2-1/4" width. stupak

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
                Thanks guys for the info. He is going with the 2-1/4" width. stupak
                We will need photos once the deed is done so there can be some forum ohhing and ahhing.

Comment

Working...
                X