Who's differential....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Who's differential....

...did Studebaker use on the GT Hawks. Big puddle under mine this morning....any suggestions?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Should be Dana 44.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
      Should be Dana 44.
      And the most common rear axle in the automotive universe. Every 4X4 shop has all the parts on the shelf.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
        ...did Studebaker use on the GT Hawks. Big puddle under mine this morning....any suggestions?
        You don't normally get a "Big puddle" all of a sudden from a differential. Are you sure that the puddle is gear oil and not brake fluid? The rear brake lines run around the differential and out on the axle tubes. The brake lines can have a failure point all at once, especially the flex line.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          You don't normally get a "Big puddle" all of a sudden from a differential. Are you sure that the puddle is gear oil and not brake fluid? The rear brake lines run around the differential and out on the axle tubes. The brake lines can have a failure point all at once, especially the flex line.
          Good point...I'll check that out. Thank You.
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

I agree with the leaking brake line especially if it is more to the left side where the rubber hose is located, but there is also the possibility that the pinion seal on the front of the differential is leaking. The original seal was made from leather which has now turned to concrete and can no longer do its job. Fortunately new seals are available and not to difficult to replace. Anyway check both the brake fluid level and the lube level in the differential. One other thing to check is the rubber hose on the fuel line coming from the gas tank as they are also known to fail. Bud

Comment

More good ideas Bud, thanks. I'll post when I discover the actual problem. (The idea about the rubber gas line hit me in the middle of the night too).
              Originally posted by Bud View Post
              I agree with the leaking brake line especially if it is more to the left side where the rubber hose is located, but there is also the possibility that the pinion seal on the front of the differential is leaking. The original seal was made from leather which has now turned to concrete and can no longer do its job. Fortunately new seals are available and not to difficult to replace. Anyway check both the brake fluid level and the lube level in the differential. One other thing to check is the rubber hose on the fuel line coming from the gas tank as they are also known to fail. Bud
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                And the most common rear axle in the automotive universe. Every 4X4 shop has all the parts on the shelf.

jack vines
                Jack, do you know if the traction lock carrier from a mid 80's Jeep dana 44 will fit the Stude dana 44 axle?

Comment

A leak on my 1962 Hawk turned out to be a rusted steel freeze plug like cap on the "U" joint.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                    Jack, do you know if the traction lock carrier from a mid 80's Jeep dana 44 will fit the Stude dana 44 axle?
                    The splines on new dana 44's are different. You could have a custom axle built to interface with some of newer limited slip components.
                    David L

Comment

Working...
                    X