PDA

View Full Version : 65-66 Bell Housing & Clutch linkage

irish
06-26-2017, 04:31 PM
I need a bell housing and the all the clutch pedal linkage (and the nuts & bolts) for a 65-66 Stude. I'm trying to put back together a 1966 Cruiser w/OD that the previous owner had started to make into a hotrod. I'm missing the bell housing, the drive shaft, and everything between the clutch pedal and clutch.

Joe

KenS
06-26-2017, 06:13 PM
I may have every thing your looking for, is it a six or 8, which trans do you have, The bell I have has a plate to attach the chevy motor to the studie trans.
All Chevy engines use the same bolt pattern, but the bolt pattern on the trans itself is stude. I have a T96 with plate and bellhousing, I also have a T86 OD trans that bolts up straight to the bellhousing. I should have everything as far as linkage and pedals except for the ball that the clutch bell-crank pivots on, engine side.
How much do you want to spend ?

Ken

rkapteyn
06-26-2017, 06:22 PM
I have a T86 overdrive trans with a bell housing attached from a 1965 Chevybaker.
The problem is that the bell housing will not come of the trans because of corrosion.
I can make pictures if anyone is interested.$450.00 pickup in Joliet Illinois no shipping.
Robert Kapteyn

swvalcon
06-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Why not use a chev bell houseing and clutch with flywheel and chev starter, and a chev trans. if you need a drive shaft just have one made to fit the chev trans. They are everywhere. If you want overdrive find a 5 sp out of a 80's chev pickup. for linkage use a aftermarket slave cylinder set up.

irish
06-26-2017, 07:44 PM
This is a 60,000 mile rust free original car that was garage kept until 2 years ago when some guy bought it at an estate sale and was going to hot rod it. He pulled the engine and trans planning to scrap it. Most of it was still there, but for whatever reason he can't find the bell housing, drive shaft and the clutch linkage parts. I have the original transmission. The 65-66 Studebakers with overdrive use a T-86 Borg-Warner, but it has a chevy bolt pattern and input shaft. I've done several engine and transmission conversions before at my shop and I know it would bolt right up to an older chevy bell housing, but "The Devil is in the details" I think the clutch linkage attaches to the side of the bell housing on the Stude and there would be some other differences compared to a Chevy, and this is such a nice car I want to keep it original if it's practical. I know I could use a hydraulic clutch, have a drive shaft made etc. but that's not my goal with this car.

Mike Sal
06-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Would you mind sharing the details of your 66 with me for the 1966 registry? (VIN, body number, color, any special options, etc).

I have a nearly identical car here, in Commander trim. 194/stick, no O.D. It is a rusty parts car, but complete. I will use a few parts from the car (non- powertrain related) for my other '66 Commander (it's an automatic). If you can't find anything closer, make me a reasonable offer & we'll see what it takes to get a deal together.
Mike Sal
Southern Illinois.

Kurt
06-27-2017, 06:24 AM
I have a bellhousing if interested.

Mike Sal
06-27-2017, 09:35 AM
Oops, I just re-read your post & didn't catch that your car has O.D. Mine doesn't (not sure if the drive shaft is the same or not). I haven't disassembled the car yet, as it takes up less room as a whole car than it does in pieces.
Mike Sal