PDA

View Full Version : Stoplight display with consequences.

52-fan
06-26-2017, 10:20 AM
I drove my 52 to Conway, Arkansas yesterday for our chapter's meeting. I am loving the overdrive now that it is working. Anyway, I got caught by the stop light at an intersection called 8 Mile Store and had to stop. A white vehicle (a Tahoe or the like) pulled up in the lane to my left. The driver complemented my car and we exchanged a few pleasantries. He told me he had a 57 Chevy Bel Air back home.
The light turned green and I hit the gas determined to get across the intersection without embarrassing our make. I guess the other driver took this as a challenge because when I was at the top of second gear he passed me with the pedal on the floor. I ran up to the speed limit and dropped into overdrive as he continued around a right hand curve. There on the side of the road was a State Police car! The white vehicle got pulled over and I went on by. Not a good day for him. :(

fargoguy
06-26-2017, 10:52 AM
How ironic that the cars in your pic are Red, Yellow and Green......

52-fan
06-26-2017, 10:56 AM
I hadn't thought of that. Those were the only Studes present at the meeting.

thunderations
06-26-2017, 11:00 AM
Sometimes being lucky is better then being good. The fastest car doesn't always win the race. Could do the "turtle and hare" thing here too.

RadioRoy
06-26-2017, 05:55 PM
So... what was the trouble with the overdrive? What was it that eventually fixed it?

BILT4ME
06-27-2017, 12:56 PM
I would do that to egg-on the less experienced drivers to goad them into smoking tires or what have you across the intersection. Especially if I had noticed the LEO down the road.

I was once the other driver and experienced the wrath of the bubble gum lights......

I also had one where I saw the LEO sitting off to the side "hiding" at the local stop-sign intersection at 1:00 AM. I pulled to the sign, came to a complete stop. I waiting to be "prepared." I stomped the gas, enough to make it impressive, but NOT squeal a tire. I stayed in it full throttle as I exited the town.

He was on his way with lights flashing and coming up fast, when I pulled it up to 55 MPH and did not go 1 MPH over. He passed me, shut off his lights, did a U-Turn a the next intersection, and went back to his coffee and donuts. I laughed all the way home.

52-fan
06-27-2017, 08:56 PM
I wasn't really trying to goad the other driver. I just did not want someone to pass me and then pull over in front of me and creep along while I wait on all the other cars that had stacked up at the light to go past. I have had this happen several times on this road.