PDA

View Full Version : Side Mirror Suggestions?

Buzzard
06-24-2017, 11:15 AM
OK I'm getting to the last details before reintroducing my Lark to the road after 42 + years of dormancy.
I figured one of the contributing factors to Grandma's(not mine) brutality on the body of this 25,000 original mile car was the omission of any side mirrors. While backing into my shop it was then I realized how much we have come to rely on side mirrors on our cars today(look at the size of some-they look like ears!). Here's the details and I'm very open to suggestions as to looks as well as originality and functionality:
1959 Lark Regal 2 DR Hard Top with body color(colour in Canada) Tahiti Coral with White Sand top. Also suggestions for location will help with my decision making process.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Bill:cool:

ndynis
06-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Hi Bill!
I like the mirror mounted on the doors. I seem to get a much better view and, if it get bumped or something, much easier to adjust back where it should be. I also like the mirror to be at the back of the base so I would select one like AC45-1B in the Body Catalog or AC2918 in the SI catalog. For sure I would want the right side to be mirror to be convex. Just my personal preference.
How about a picture of that Tahiti Coral & White Regal? Love to see it in that color.
Nick

RDWEAVER
06-24-2017, 01:23 PM
I bought the Regal side mirrors for our Silver Hawk. They are reproductions. They were quite expensive. Mounted on the doors of a Hawk they are only decoration cause they don't give a very good view from there. The quality of these is poor the chrome is two different colors side by side and they don't stay tight. In my opinion they are not worth the money I paid for them.

ndynis
06-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Well that isn't good!
I guess I was lucky that mine came with the car and maybe they are original. They seem to work quite well for me when adjusted correctly. I can't say about any others.

StudeRich
06-24-2017, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=ndynis;1060550]Well that isn't good!
I guess I was lucky that mine came with the car and maybe they are original. They seem to work quite well for me when adjusted correctly. I can't say about any others.
65039[/ QUOTE]

This a '55-'57 GM reproduction Mirror, a very good quality mirror with Quality Chrome, real Stainless no pit head, Tinted Glass, a molded rubber beaded gasket and available in Convex for right side mounting.
Sold here:
http://tinyurl.com/y8dj2c27

There are many styles of Studebaker Original Style reproductions also available at Studebaker Vendors.
http://studebakervendors.com

Definitely mount them as far forward on the DOORS as you can clearly see in especially the Left one without interfering with your Hardtop/Convertible style vent Windows.

ndynis
06-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Thanks Rich! The one on the right side is getting a little sad and I wasn't sure where to find a matching one! Now i Know!
I appreciate your posts on the Forum. Thanks for helping those of us who are a lot newer to the Studebaker world than you. Keep up the good work!
Nick

greyben
06-24-2017, 04:29 PM
The door mount seems to be the most common, but on my '55 sedan the right side mirror would have been useless to the driver. I ended up mounting them on the fenders with the mirror about 7 inches from the rear of the fender. I can at least use them although the 4 inch mirrors give a limited field of view.

t walgamuth
06-24-2017, 05:41 PM
I first bought some lovely mirrors from a great fellow here on the forum. They mounted on the door hinge......couldn't see enough in them and they interfered with the wing window. I searched and searched and never could find anything with the right classic chrome look and with a convex mirror on the right side.

I finally ordered some non descript black plastic rectangular mirrors with rounded corners that were designed for a jeep cj. Right side is convex. I mounted them right at the back of the wing window so they are far back but they work really well.

tsenecal
06-24-2017, 06:29 PM
I bought 2 new mirrors while in South Bend in May. Have not installed them yet. I chose 2 left side mirrors, because I grew up driving trucks with "regular" mirrors, and the new ones kind of drive me crazy. Guess I might be stuck in my ways.

48skyliner
06-24-2017, 08:16 PM
When I restored the body on my 48 Champion, I filled three sets of holes from mirrors that had been installed on the doors over the years. I promised myself that I would NOT drill any holes in the door skins for new mirrors. The passenger side mirror on the car when I got it was completely useless because it would not adjust to a usable position/angle. I bought a pair of the hot rod "peep mirrors", as they are called, which clamp to the door frame. I decided to streamline the installation by eliminating the clamp, grinding a lip onto the mount and installing it with a small screw through the door frame, which screws into the mirror where the clamp is normally attached. If anyone is interested I can take some closeup photos that show how this was done.

There is one disadvantage to these high mounted mirrors - they do not provide a view of the stripes on the pavement if you are backing into a parking place. But they are at about eye level and work really well driving down the road. On my car I had to mount them near the top of the frame to clear the vent window when it is open. I strongly recommend getting the set with the convex mirror for the passenger side, as the mirror is so far from your eye a flat mirror provides a very narrow field of view. There is a long list of sources for these on Ebay, but only saw couple with the flat/convex combination.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CONVEX-Curved-Arm-Peep-Mirror-Outside-Side-Door-Frame-View-Hot-Rat-Rod-Pair-/311626612020

jclary
06-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Skyliner, you have one of the best looking ModRods going. I like the little curved arm clamp mounted mirrors. I bought a couple of extended arm clamp type mirrors for my '48 Coupe. The driver's side works great, but not so much on the other side. The one on the passenger side mainly adds symmetry to the car, but very little function. I'm probably going to ditch the ones I have now and go back to the classic peep mirrors. I'll probably stay with the clamp mount, because I can move them, and don't like drilling holes. I have always improvised gaskets to protect the paint.

If you look at old pictures, no matter what make of car, it seems that those clamp on mirrors were more common than any factory provided side mirror for years. My dad's '40 chevy had them, and I believe they were common from the early 1930's right on through the late 1960's. If I had any say so in judging cars, I would never dock points for having those peep style mirrors.