Starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Starter problems

I have owned my 50 commander Starlight cp for 18 yrs and have always had starter problems. Starter would barely turn the engine over but eventually it would always start. Had it looked at by a very reputable shop several times, replaced cables, even went so far as to have four fields installed in the Delco starter. When I used the 12 volt jumper box it still didn't turn It over as it should. It was suggested I find a 47-49 autolite starter, same problem. Then I recently took the starter off my 37 dictator, spun the motor over as it should. It was noted that Stephen Allen recommended turning .003 off the OD of the armature. Next I checked the run out of the Autolite armature and found it to have a total run out of .012, now I was on to something. So then I took the Delco starter off the car and found the same thing. Scoured my inventory of starters and found another 6 volt Delco starter, removed the armature and checked the run out, it was only out by a couple thousands. Reassembled the starter and installed it. Motor now turned over as it should, another long term problem solved. If there is an obscure problem it always seems to show up on one of my cars, isn't it great to be lucky
    Jerry Kurtz

Thanks! My 49 does the same thing. Seems to have excessive draw and it turns over slowly. Replaced armature with NOS that Art Seebach gave me in trade for something and it made no difference. Don't think a Delco is available.

Comment

The problem is in the starter bushing wearing out and the armature dragging on the stator.

Comment

The armature showed no signs of dragging on fields, also had all of the bushings replaced. Jeff, Have been told the Autolite starter is a better choice. I suggest you take your starter apart and check the run out of the armature.
        Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Jump your ground directly on to one of the starter bolts.

Comment

Altar
            Did all of that, didn't change anything until I replaced the armature with one that ran true.
            Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Originally posted by jerezstude View Post
              Altar
              Did all of that, didn't change anything until I replaced the armature with one that ran true.
              Jerry Kurtz
              Thanks for the posts Jerry. I suppose others will keep posting alternative suggestions because (like me), they are not as skilled, and accustomed to handling precision instruments and machine tools as you are. It is awfully easy to replace a cable here, or take a wrench and twist something. Operating a caliper, micrometer, and dial indicator... an entirely different thing. Even if you figure out how to move the equipment for a measurement, reading the instrument correctly, interpreting the data correctly, and using it to correct the problem is a challenge in itself. I'll admit to being so challenged in this area, that just about every time I pull my micrometer out, I have to carefully read the instructions that came with it.

I just don't use them enough to be good at it. I know machinists so accustomed to using these instruments, that they carry on a conversation while taking measurements, and continue their work as if it were as automatic as taking a breath. For me, I require no distractions, check & double check, and still have trouble getting it right. So...for us "wannabe" mechanics...perhaps a detail of what tool, how to fixture, etc., is required for checking "run-out." I do know that on a clock, the short hand is "hour" and the long hand is "minutes."
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jerezstude View Post
                I have owned my 50 commander Starlight cp for 18 yrs and have always had starter problems. Starter would barely turn the engine over but eventually it would always start. Had it looked at by a very reputable shop several times, replaced cables, even went so far as to have four fields installed in the Delco starter. When I used the 12 volt jumper box it still didn't turn It over as it should. It was suggested I find a 47-49 autolite starter, same problem. Then I recently took the starter off my 37 dictator, spun the motor over as it should. It was noted that Stephen Allen recommended turning .003 off the OD of the armature. Next I checked the run out of the Autolite armature and found it to have a total run out of .012, now I was on to something. So then I took the Delco starter off the car and found the same thing. Scoured my inventory of starters and found another 6 volt Delco starter, removed the armature and checked the run out, it was only out by a couple thousands. Reassembled the starter and installed it. Motor now turned over as it should, another long term problem solved. If there is an obscure problem it always seems to show up on one of my cars, isn't it great to be lucky
                Jerry Kurtz

It took awhile but you solved the riddle that may afflict more folks. Sometimes it take doggedly pursuit to find the answer but there is always one out there.

Dragging armatures are more common than most suspect!

Comment

Working...
                X