PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest thing you have ever done with your Studebaker....

Lou Van Anne
06-22-2017, 08:40 PM
Back in my "save every nickle I could days" I always changed my own oil. One time, after draining the crank case, I filed it up...all five quarts no less...before remembering to replace the drain plug....:eek:

Guido
06-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Working to fix oil leaks, an effort in futility...

I did set one on fire once.

57pack
06-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Selling my 1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire.

Mike Sal
06-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Allowing a guy to sell back to me a stude that I was glad to get rid of....

StudeRich
06-22-2017, 09:27 PM
Back when I was 18 or 19 and "knew everything", I thought it would be a great idea to lube the rear axle to allow the Hub & Drum Assembly to "slide on" nice-n-easy! :eek:

greyben
06-22-2017, 10:15 PM
Removing and reinstalling a T85 in my Champ balanced on a garage jack while lying on my back in a gravel driveway. A lot of other things, but after all wisdom comes from the dumb things we do.

Milaca
06-22-2017, 10:35 PM
Back in my "save every nickle I could days" I always changed my own oil. One time, after draining the crank case, I filed it up...all five quarts no less...before remembering to replace the drain plug....:eek:

That's okay Lou, it was eventually going to leak out anyway.

RadioRoy
06-22-2017, 11:15 PM
Aside from putting out the flaming firewall insulation in my disco suit?

After purchasing my little house, I drove my most valuable car (same car as in the disco story) into the garage - and the front wheels promptly went through the floor. That got my heart racing! Before the self recriminations blossomed into full bloom, I put the car in reverse and gunned it. Pop! It came right out of the hole in the floor.

It seems that the original wooden floor of the garage held the car, but the wooden floor of the garage extension was not built to the same standards. I saw to that the next day.

sals54
06-23-2017, 12:00 AM
Selling my 1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire.

Yeah, brother... selling my 1964 Wagonaire. Sheesh, what a dummy.

ddub
06-23-2017, 12:25 AM
Me too, selling it

christophe
06-23-2017, 02:50 AM

It happened to me not long ago but it was not with my Studebaker. Of course, the bucket wasn't large enough to hold the old oil and the fresh one, so you can figure out what happened next. Did I tell you I had carpet in my garage?

Ron Dame
06-23-2017, 07:02 AM
Selling my 60 Lark Regal HT.

Skip Lackie
06-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Selling my 60 Lark Regal HT.

Was that the one that I used to own?

Mike Sal
06-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Sonya says I haven't begun to scratch the surface of the boners I've pulled over the years....

Corley
06-23-2017, 09:44 AM
According to my wife, buying the '53, according to me, selling it (eons ago). No more Stude sales after that though, I learned my lesson. (Much to my wife's chagrin.) Now my wife say's when I die, the funeral is at 10:00, the auction is at 12:00, and the moving van arrives at 2:00.

jpepper
06-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Working third shift and not sleeping much (young and foolish), I was driving home with my 55 coupe and took a little nap. The fire hydrant I hit woke me up. The car did not survive the incident.

Dwight FitzSimons
06-23-2017, 10:21 AM
After reinstalling the heads after a valve job on my '63 Hawk I forgot to reinstall the front plug on the left head. It's amazing how fast the engine pumps the oil out of that little hole! This was in the parking lot at my Air Force base, so I had to clean it all up.
-Dwight

candbstudebakers
06-23-2017, 10:23 AM
Sitting on the tail gate of my 63 wagonair while removing the bolts that hold the torsion bar at the bottom of the gate, as most know that the bar is loaded when down . when the last bolt came loose the bar snapped over catching my left hand on the edge of the gate, I was off to the hospital with a broken hand. happened so fast it did not have time to hurt. be aware of the torsion bar on the wagons they are there for a reason.

jts359
06-23-2017, 10:59 AM
Parting out a 64 Cruiser With the exception of an R- series engine I have never seen one equipped like this , Literally you name an option it had it ! Ed

wittsend
06-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Did a compression test with all the plugs out and the wires dangling (BTW, SBC Mckinnon power). Apparently unknown to me the the float was allowing fuel to flow past the needle and seat when it need not be. Eventually the gas was shooting out the plug holes and ignited by the dangling plug wires.

Fuel had also leaked past the rings into the crankcase. So, while I was swatting at external flames with a rag (the only fire fighting tool I had on hand) they eventually set off the fumes in the crank case. I had previously unbolted the valve covers, but left then sitting on the heads during the compression test. The crankcase went off with a whooshing BOOM and the valve covers and intake mounted oil cap (early SBC) were sent flying!!! Unlike John Wayne in the Hellfighters this explosion did not put the fire out. So, in a total dazed shock I with great trepidation began afresh with the rag swats fearing additional crank case blow offs.

Pat Dilling
06-23-2017, 01:12 PM
Put the hood of my 53 up facing the wind on a windy day. Gust lifted it off the prop rod and then dropped it. The wind did not know you need to push it back when lowering it and made a big crease right across the hood.

62champ
06-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Closing the hood on my '62 Lark after adding a little oil and forgetting that the oil filler cap was sitting on the air cleaner...there is not that much clearance under the hood...

My Uncle and Father's was passing on a '63 sliding roof wagon with R2 and four speed (freshly rebuilt)...

warrlaw1
06-23-2017, 01:40 PM
Installing an electric fuel pump without a regulator. Made it home just as the needle blew out of the carb :)

BILT4ME
06-23-2017, 02:06 PM
Power Braking my 59 Lark in the high school parking lot the last day of my Junior year. Blew the spider gears out of the rear differential. That was #1 of the future 7 total in my lifetime so far........... I wear a size 13 shoe......

1954khardtop
06-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Drilling holes in the dash for extra switches, making a hole in the cowl for a spotlight. I paid for the "sins of my youth" years later by repairing the damage.

Steve T
06-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Interesting to see all the seller's remorse among these replies. Stupidest thing I ever did with a Stude, conversely, was not selling my '62 Lark in mid-2010 after being laid off (and after making two long-distance trips in the car). Selling the old gal then would've been by far what was best for the car...irrespective of the fun I've had driving the Lark in the years since...

S.

studefan
06-23-2017, 06:41 PM
My 63 Avanti was pulling hard to the right. Thinking a wheel cylinder was sticking, purchased and installed new sleeved disc brake wheel cylinders for $600 and the problem still remained. Determined that the issue was actually the $25 rubber hose that had collapsed inside. Could have been a cheap fix. Lesson learned is to always replace the rubber hoses first before anything else.

rockne10
06-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Hauling five friends and two dogs in a '53 coupe from central PA to lower West Virginia through the Monongahela National Forest without having upgraded the factory brakes.

Studedude1961
06-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Selling my 1960 Lark two door sedan several years ago.

benaslopoke
06-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Cranking up my Studillac after rebuilding with 11 to 1 compression.. The engine backfired and starter fluid exploded in the crankcase .. Blew every gasket except the head gaskets..

Jeffry Cassel
06-24-2017, 07:36 AM
138 mph in GH powered 1959 Hawk.

rbruner
06-24-2017, 12:32 PM
After a 70mph trip on the freeway I backed in my driveway & the brake pedal went to the floor. All the fluid leaked out of a rusted brake line. No problem. I just put in gear & drove slowly to the mechanic down the street. Had to blow a 4 way stop to get there ( no hand brake either,) Rolled up his entrance drive & slammed the shifter to Park. Not smart but everything is working!

ColoradoHawk
06-25-2017, 01:24 AM
Had just rebuilt and detailed the engine in my '63 GT Hawk. Engine was gorgeous. Dark blue block and heads, chrome valley pan, intake painted aluminum color and even carefully took apart and painted the Carter AFB dark blue with aluminum painted linkage. Decided to change the jets after driving it a bit and after putting it all together went to start it up. Wasn't starting when suddenly I see the engine compartment light up. Entire top of the engine was on fire! Forgot to connect the fuel line to the carb. The fire plus the powder from the fire extinguisher ruined everything. 😩

SilverHawkDan
06-25-2017, 01:46 AM
130 mph in a 65 zone, Palmdale, California 1968. Had to walk for 45 days. After that I proved I didn't learn much from that. I did learn that I have "A Need For Speed". Just keep it where it belongs now days. LSR racing.
Dan

jclary
06-25-2017, 06:38 AM
After a 70mph trip on the freeway I backed in my driveway & the brake pedal went to the floor. All the fluid leaked out of a rusted brake line. No problem. I just put in gear & drove slowly to the mechanic down the street. Had to blow a 4 way stop to get there ( no hand brake either,) Rolled up his entrance drive & slammed the shifter to Park. Not smart but everything is working!

I assume none of your route involved descending either end of this nearby span:eek:;)...

https://www.flatironcorp.com/wp-content/gallery/arthur-ravenel-bridge-cooper-river/CR-Bridge063.jpg

kmul221
06-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Selling my Packard Hawk (58LS 1488) about 20 Yrs. ago.I believe it is now in Florida,it was the best one I ever seen & regret it to this day

Bruce S
06-25-2017, 11:20 AM
Someone put a condensor on my alternator which did not belong there. When I went to change the alternator belt, i swung it over to clear the belt, the condensor touched and arced to the chrome valve cover and fried the engine harness. Guess I should have disconnected the battery, but new to the car, I did not spot the improper condensor.

GrumpyOne
06-25-2017, 11:24 AM
Selling a '63 Lark four door that was rust free and mechanically sound for $500 about 13 years ago...

JoeHall
06-25-2017, 12:42 PM
Fired up a 56J motor that had been sitting for 20-25 years in San Diego. It was not even stuck, turned over easily, and started after only a few cranks. But in less than 5 minutes several of the rod bearings began to flake, and all but destroyed the crank.

t walgamuth
06-25-2017, 12:53 PM
I cannot think of anything seriously stupid I have done with any of my Studies....unless you count putting a diesel in a CE;)

Corvanti
06-25-2017, 01:15 PM
put a new chrome air cleaner & cover on the Avanti. shut the hood and cracked the new $7,000 paint job the P.O. had done about 3 months prior. doh!!!:o

jclary
06-25-2017, 01:32 PM
One terrible mistake I recall...one Friday evening, after getting my 1948 Business Coupe ready for a Saturday show, I noticed a little oil weeping from one of the side valve covers.
Thinking I would take my ratchet & socket and give the bolts a little "tweak" to snug the cover:yeahright:...the tweak became a "SNAP!":oops:
I broke one bolt inside the valve chamber past the valve springs, etc.:( I was so disappointed, I pulled the little car back into the shed, and drove a different Studebaker to the event the next day. In fact, fearful of contaminating the interior of the engine with metal debris, I let that car sit for about a year before figuring out and improvising a way to extract the broken piece safely. Lesson learned...there is a difference in a "tweak," and "torque limit."

However, that is not the stupidest thing regarding my Studebaker hobby. Probably the stupidest thing was thinking I could make family and friends as excited about Studebaker as I am! For years, I have not hesitated to share my enthusiasm about anything Studebaker related. At last, I have realized, no matter how excited, how detailed, or how loudly you proclaim the legacy, historical data, innovations, and cool stories...there are many who will never have any interest. In fact, some folks resent the history, the stories, and are irritated by such enthusiasm. In some ways, failing to properly gauge the mood of others, I have probably caused some folks to dislike Studebaker.:(
Hopefully, as I've gotten older, I have become better at being more of a positive influence than an irritant.:);):)

GTCruiser
06-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Backed the '65 Cruiser into position to wash it. Got out without setting either the parking brake or putting it in park?! As I went to turn on the water hose to wash it, heard a loud bang as it had drifted down the driveway into a spruce tree.