PDA

View Full Version : I have to rememebr, this ain't Facebook

Ron Dame
06-22-2017, 01:47 PM
How many of you have tried to hit the 'like' button? Me, too many times.

RadioRoy
06-22-2017, 02:30 PM
We should have a like button. The other forum I haunt is for O gauge trains. It's powered by Hoopla, and it has a like button. You can "like" individual posts.

Scott
06-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Would it get attention if we hit the little triangle with the exclamation mark to report that we liked a post? :)

StudeRich
06-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Really? Who cares what Post anyone "Likes"? :woot: Information is what it IS, Neutral, not good, not Bad just info!

This is NOT a Social Site, but a informative one. :rolleyes:

Charlie D
06-22-2017, 02:51 PM
What Rich said!!

PackardV8
06-22-2017, 03:00 PM
What's Facebook?

jack vines

Lou Van Anne
06-22-2017, 03:40 PM
I'd like a like button....

52hawk
06-22-2017, 04:31 PM
The Harley Davidson forum I frequent has a "thanks" button. Nice to see someone appreciates your time spent typing an answer or comment.

Chris Pile
06-22-2017, 04:43 PM
This quick and funny video might put Flakebook into perspective....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5AGLho0654

52-fan
06-22-2017, 05:45 PM
I find myself looking for the "like" button occasionally, but I don't really think we need it. If you feel really strongly, just say so.
BTW That video wouldn't get a "like" from me.

Lynn
06-22-2017, 05:46 PM
The guy that used to do I.T. work at my office would NOT get on Facebook for any reason. Why? Not secure enough says he. This is a guy that can set up firewalls and does internet security stuff. If HE doesn't feel safe there, why in the world would I want to go there.

Agree with Rich. Please don't install a "like" button. If someone appreciates something I just posted, how long does it take to respond with "thanks"? Or, if you are too lazy to hit six keys, you can type thanx, or even tx. I have a couple other sites I am on, and every time somone "likes" one of my posts, my PM message box tells me I have a new message. I waste time going there just to see that I have been "liked". I am not that hard up for approval.

I know, I am souning (and looking more like) these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGfx3QAV64M

BRUCESTUDE
06-22-2017, 10:17 PM
How many of you have tried to hit the 'like' button? Me, too many times.
Yeah! I do the same thing, especially when a cool photo is posted! Whether we like it or not, forums are a form of social media, hence the stories, experiences, photos and advice posted here for others. The main difference is that forums usually have a particular audience, in our case those of us who love Studebakers! Maybe some day when the site is refreshed a "like" button (or similar) could be added....especially for all those youngsters joining our ranks.

T.J. lavallee
06-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Jeeeze. If I like a post I usually say so in my post. Simple enough.

Chris Pile
06-22-2017, 11:44 PM
^^^^^ What he said. Just like this. ^^^^^

Ron Dame
06-23-2017, 07:04 AM
I'm not saying we ought to add it, just saying I look for it a lot.

BTW, despite my poor typing skills, I'm glad we do NOT have auto -incorrect.

Buzzard
06-23-2017, 09:58 AM
What Rich & Jack said. Lets all get lives.
Bill

GrumpyOne
06-23-2017, 10:06 AM
What's Facebook?

jack vines

You bet!

For me... No facecrook, no twatter and no aggravation!

BILT4ME
06-23-2017, 02:25 PM
I would LIKE a like button. Just so I don;t have to go through and de-select all the instant email notification with every post I make.

It allows me to show agreement with someone on a point without having to increase the overall thread length with another "Thanks Rich! I appreciate what you said! " type post that doesn't actually CONTRIBUTE to the discussion. It just clutters it up. Like this message is doing.

jclary
06-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Despite heavy pressure, So far, I've resisted following the crowd to the social media craze. My half joking response has been "Too many relatives!" I say half joking, because there is a serious side to my reasoning. A few years after my oldest sister insisted Mom sell her place and move in with her & her husband, they reneged on their commitment/promise. Rather than admit that THEY were incapable of following through with their commitment, (however well intended), they awkwardly started the De-commit process by insisting the rest of us relinquish any control over her finances and turn it over to them! I refused, and so did the other sisters. It was at that point, we began the process of relocating mother to a place more centrally located for us all. A place of professional care, safety, respect, and monitored legal requirements to provide quality living. It was this experience that taught me the real negative aspect of social media. Family members began to blast each other with raw emotional outburst. Threats of lawsuits, etc. My poor mom, physically fragile, but sharper mentally than most of us, was unnecessarily dragged through the dust-up.

I appreciate the effort to "take care of mom," but once it was determined that the arrangement needed to change, it should have been worked out without exposing her to the details. I compare it to inviting someone to a steak dinner, but requiring the guest to participate in killing the cow, bleeding out, skinning, gutting, and making them, clean, and cut, the meat themselves.

It was only after another sister, and I. took charge, that we found suspect financial dealings that explained why we were asked to "relinquish" any input to mom's paltry remaining finances. Through all of this, the money was restored and we have worked it out. Had I embroiled myself into the social media kerfuffle...it would have been much more awkward, and damaging to the family. Instead, I am only perceived as aloof, and distant. Which is OK with me. Staying away from Face Book...keeps me from being "In someone's Face!" (and keepin' em outta mine!)

At least, where mom is now, she has professional caregivers paid to provide her needs. There are laws regulating the providing of her needs, and I don't hesitate to make sure they are followed. In fact, I don't hesitate to invest six bucks in a "certified" written notice pointing out any deficiencies. It is a thing administrators fear...a cumulative recording of evidence is a savings account in case of future litigation.

Blasting stuff across the spectrum of "Face Book" seems to mostly embroil the participants into an emotional turmoil. If you are a member...NOT accepting a request for "friending"...in my family, would be just another insult. Therefore, I'm OK with them assuming I'm too old, stupid, and ignorant to know how to participate.:);):)

StudeNewby
06-23-2017, 10:00 PM
For what it's worth, this forum IS a social networking site, and this thread is a perfect example! What Studebaker content exists in this thread? Nada! (Thus it should be moved to the Huggers, but I digress.) Yes, there is plenty of good content here, and I mine it for valuable nuggets often. But it is much more than just a repository of technical knowledge. I have weaned myself from Facebook for the most part because this forum has taken its place for me. In fact, I enjoy sharing John Clary's superb stories with my wife on a regular basis. If this were just Stude data, she would not be interested.
And yes, a like button would be a nice addition!