PDA

View Full Version : Transferwise

T-CAB
06-22-2017, 08:50 AM
I just had a request from Belgium to do a car appraisal. To pay for the appraisal he wants to use "Transferwise" to transfer the funds. I have never hear of it before, but there is info on the web. He wants my bank information. Is this safe?

Thanks

R-cab

52hawk
06-22-2017, 10:03 AM
I was told by my banker that a cash transfer bank to bank was totally safe,when I sold a Lark to a guy in Iceland.I've never heard of Transferwise,maybe you could ask your bank about them,or ask the sender to use a simple bank transfer? Anyway,I was told that all the guy could do with my routing # and account number.was put money INTO my account.But who knows nowadays?
Also,I've used paypal for small amounts,but I hear that they CAN take the money back from your acct if the buyer has a complaint. Sounds to me like 'transferwise' may be a company similar to paypal,trying to get some of paypal's business.

rkapteyn
06-22-2017, 10:06 AM
Sounds fishy to me.
Ask him to do PayPal

sweetolbob
06-22-2017, 10:26 AM
Let's google transferwise and then contact the company with any questions, unless anyone locally has experience.
https://transferwise.com/us/?utm_medium=consumer&utm_source=cpp_sidebar_visit_company_button&utm_campaign=consumer_cta

tim333
06-22-2017, 10:33 AM
Bank transfer only.

jclary
06-22-2017, 10:46 AM
I have only done an "electronic" transfer once. It was several years ago while selling my sister's late husband's tractor for her. The buyer, a physician, offered to write a check. I stated, I wouldn't take a check. Then, he offered cash, I refused cash. He said he would come to my bank, and we could make the cash payment there. My banker informed me that any cash transaction there, in excess of ten thousand, would require us to fill out a federal form.

Instead, we agreed to do an electronic transfer between our two banks. No complicated forms, suspect checks, nor cash involved. As soon as the transfer showed up in my account, my banker called to let me know. At that point, I allowed the buyer to load up the tractor and drive away. Later, I handed my sister my checkbook to write herself a check, less the amount she determined was fair for me hauling it over six hundred miles, and taking three months to find a buyer. Worked out great for all of us.

If I were you, I would turn the transaction over to your bank. If the transfer service is legit...they should know.

T-CAB
06-24-2017, 04:59 PM
I took my chance and it worked properly. I got my $400 in one day. All you need are the account numbers of the money receiving the money.

I would recommend it

T-Cab