"Hard" carpets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: "Hard" carpets

In playing with my long, lost Daytona Wagonaire I decided to open the two boxes of NOS carpet that I've had since the '70s.. They still look like new for the most part, but boy are they hard. Unroll, let go, automatic rewind. Any ideas on how to soften the backing so they would lay flat in the car?
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I would try laying them out, upside down, on a lawn in hot bright sunshine for a day.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks. I'll give that a try. We have plenty of hot bright sunshine now.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Sandwich the carpet between two sheets of plywood? Add weight on the top piece if necessary to compress?
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If you have access to a steamer, it will soften the backing. Short of that use a carpet cleaner with just hot water.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
            If you have access to a steamer, it will soften the backing. Short of that use a carpet cleaner with just hot water.
            I was thinking along the same lines. Nothing intense, but a gentle application of steaming while allowing gravity to do its natural thing with the carpet laid out on a flat surface. Of course, looking at news reports this morning, you could fly out to Arizona (temps in triple digits), lay the carpet out, spritz a little water over the carpet, and it would develop its own steam instantly!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
            X