Superchargers available in 1957-58

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Superchargers available in 1957-58

It's common knowledge the '57-58 Golden Hawk, the '57 Packards and '58 Packard Hawk were factory-equipped with the McCulloch VS57 supercharger.

Recently, in a discussion, a member made the statement, "the supercharger option was available for every Studebaker in 1957 and 58". This was news to me (and obviously mis-stated for anything with the Champion) but was it true for V8 Silver Hawks and sedans and trucks?

jack vines
    PackardV8

No, not from the factory. Perhaps as a purchased parts from a dealer. I would bet good money that there are no factory build invoices showing so.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It is my understanding that a few, outside of those where it was standard, were built with the supercharged engine for police/fleet purchase (I think only done on sedans).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

No, not from the factory. Perhaps as a purchased parts from a dealer. I would bet good money that there are no factory build invoices showing so.
        Thanks for the replies. Maybe yet another South Bend urban legend. There are rumors of those special builds and those who heard Stude would build anything a customer wanted, but the actual Production Order verification is not often there.

It is my understanding that a few, outside of those where it was standard, were built with the supercharged engine for police/fleet purchase (I think only done on sedans).
        My recollection is most of the supercharged '63-64 police cars died a quick death and the supercharger was pulled off about the second or third time they failed or the engine did. No real surprise a SN60 wouldn't like police duty. (A relation who was a career Montana cop said, "We get paid to drive fast and shoot bad people. What's not to like?")

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 06-20-2017, 05:53 PM.
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          In 1957, the Mass State Police had two stick shift Golden Hawks that were used as pursuit vehicles.

Comment

Agreed. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              If I was a gambling man I would take you up on that bet.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If I was a gambling man I would take you up on that bet.
                Show me the as built invoice.....not the parts in the trunk, or dealer orders.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Back around 1970, our Northwest Chapter has a display in Hood River, Oregon. (Hood River and neighboring The Dalles, Oregon both had very strong Studebaker dealerships). A Hood River County Deputy started talking Studebakers with me, and he said he had a '57 Studebaker 2 door sedan with a supercharged engine. It was very quick and well known for easily catching speeding cars. It was only a couple of years old when a person, in the front seat but handcuffed, managed to release the emergency brake. The car was on a hill, and rolled back and over a bank, destroying the car.
                  I tended to believe him, and after all not that many years had gone by when he told me the story.

Comment

Working...
                  X