FS: Dick Datson Total Performance publications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: Dick Datson Total Performance publications

Here's your chance to own what I am sure is one of the more complete collections of 1970s Studebaker Total Performance publications from Dick Datson back in the day. I am trying to get a handle on what is becoming an overwhelming pile of publications, so

I'm offering all these for $30 postpaid to anywhere in the continental U. S. ($35 U. S. to Canada, and I hope that covers it!)

The collection consists of virtually all of Dick's publications from Nov-Dec 1972 through May 1979; 29 "books" in all, as shown in the lower right corner stack. I never did figure out Dick's numbering system, but the three publications across the top are all identified as "Volume One, Number One." Go figure.

The collection includes John Erb's "book" on high-performance Studebaker engines (lower left corner) and Dick's 3/8" thick (no page numbers!) treatise, Studebaker Chassis and Drivetrain Book shown front and center. I am still reorganizing my library, so if I uncover any more Dick Datson publications between now and when your money arrives, I'll include them. (Only the above are guaranteed, of course; I don't know if I have any more.)

First come, first served. If you want them, please post here and mail me a [good] check, cash, or money order for $30:

Bob Palma
    309 S. Jefferson St.
    Brownsburg IN 46112-1308

...and I'll hold them until your money arrives. Thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Ok I'm righting the check now.

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
      Ok I'm righting the check now.
      OK, Stephen; thanks. You have "first dibs;" I'll await your check.

I'll be out of town at The Packard National Meet in South Bend and the Martin MI Factory Stock Drag Race later this week when your check [probably] arrives. If it is here no later than Monday the 26th, the publications will go out Monday the 26th. If it hasn't, I'll also be gone several days next week, so I'll post when the check is here and the materials have been mailed.

Be sure to supply your current, correct mailing address. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,
        Nice collection.
        When his check bounces😉 I'll take the set.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
          Bob,
          Nice collection.
          When his check bounces������ I'll take the set.
          OK, Seb, but you'll have to go pry them away from Steve. I'm trusting enough to send them to a fellow forum member without waiting for the check to clear. BP

Comment

Oh well, I have room to scan all that in on our brand new website but I still have to start 40 plus years of chapter newsletters.

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ

Comment

Don't forget to ship on book rate. Its waaaay cheaper.
              sals54

Comment

I have a large collection of Dick Datson books and newsletters in Joliet Illinois for pickup only for an acceptable donation to the Studebaker Museum.
                Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  Don't forget to ship on book rate. Its waaaay cheaper.
                  You bet, Sal; thanks for the reminder. The Post Office has some rule that nothing less than about a year old can go book rate because advertising may be current, or some lame excuse. Thankfully, the newest one of these publications is 38 years old! BP

Comment

Is there anything of value in the Datson books? Whenever the subject comes up online, the reaction I see is that most of the stuff was of a crackpot nature.

Scott Griggs
                    Louisville, KY

Comment

I religiously subscribed to Dick's publications and books in the dismal performance era of the late 70's, 80's and mid 90's. Although he was perceived by some to be "somewhat out there", he pretty much kept the flame going for advancements in Studebaker performance for many years. He definitely looked at things differently, eg: belt driven used turbochargers. At least he made you think. I believe at one time he assisted Ted Harbit on cylinder head modifications as well.
                      I attended a Good Guys Meet in Puyallup Washington circa 1995, and there was a home built Studebaker powered rat rod with a Dick Datson complete Studebaker homemade wooden pressure blower box with basically his whole set up including junk yard turbocharger and the owner said it ran real hard!
                      It didn't, however, look like Jeff's build quality or attention to detail.
                      Bill

Comment

There is some very valuable info in the Datson books. There is also some stuff that goes off the path, but for the most part, its interesting reading for the performance enthusiast. Lots of turbo info, much of the early success of the many turbo projects from years ago. Tom Covington's Lark Roadster using a stock block 289 with junkyard turbos running very fast drag racing speeds. (can't remember the ETs off the top of my head)
                        Ted Harbits early exploits with turbos and the great stories of when he broke into the 10's. Lots of fun reading.
                        sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sgriggs View Post
                          Is there anything of value in the Datson books? Whenever the subject comes up online, the reaction I see is that most of the stuff was of a crackpot nature.

Scott Griggs
                          Louisville, KY
                          I religiously subscribed to Dick's publications and books in the dismal performance era of the late 70's, 80's and mid 90's. Although he was perceived by some to be "somewhat out there", he pretty much kept the flame going for advancements in Studebaker performance for many years. He definitely looked at things differently, eg: belt driven used turbochargers. At least he made you think. I believe at one time he assisted Ted Harbit on cylinder head modifications as well.
                          I attended a Good Guys Meet in Puyallup Washington circa 1995, and there was a home built Studebaker powered rat rod with a Dick Datson complete Studebaker homemade wooden pressure blower box with basically his whole set up including junk yard turbocharger and the owner said it ran real hard!
                          It didn't, however, look like Jeff's build quality or attention to detail.
                          Bill
                          Yes, agree, Bill. We all owe DD for being a light in the dark days. He was there writing about Studebaker performance when no one else was.

No, it wasn't safe for the neophyte to be handed a stack of DD. There were many ideas of a crackpot nature; no, it's not easy and cheap to make a high-boost belt driven supercharger from a junkyard turbo.

Maybe, remember many of DD's recommendations came from members still with us on this forum. When reading the books, if in doubt as to the idea, ask three separate reputable Stude sources; one will agree enthusiastically, one will say it's a disaster and the third will say, "Buy it from one of our Stude vendors."

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by sgriggs View Post
                            Is there anything of value in the Datson books? Whenever the subject comes up online, the reaction I see is that most of the stuff was of a crackpot nature. Scott Griggs Louisville, KY
                            'Not really, Scott. Dick had some good ideas...and, admittedly, some that were kind of off the wall. But as others have said here, and I agree, he was carrying the Studebaker high-performance torch in the darkest days, when the flame barely had the intensity of a butane cigarette lighter. I'm not sure what happened to Dick; I never met him, but we talked for some time on the phone back in 1976 when I was in Florida on, of all things, my honeymoon! <GGG>

The only reason I'm selling that library of Dick's materials is because I am running out of room.

BTW, anyone who wants specific copies of Turning Wheels should stay tuned and look for a new post with details. I'm sorting and finally organizing them and have many duplicates I'll offer here for little more than the postage; no one has to buy a whole set or a whole year if they just want one or two specific copies.

Believe it or not, I've honestly got close to 2,000 copies of Turning Wheels here, 'most all in good condition.

Stay tuned. BP

Comment

I wrote a couple of articles for his later newsletters and managed to meet him once when I was on a business trip to Florida. The turbo-charged, Champion flathead 6 we set 3 records with at Bonneville was inspired by his publications.
                              Last edited by BobWaitz; 06-20-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X