Confesions of a Compulsive-Obsesive Studebaker Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confesions of a Compulsive-Obsesive Studebaker Owner

After leaving the Wagonaire sitting for some years, then retrieving it and re-discovering it, I'm having a lot of fun remembering the things I saved about the car.

For example, the original glove compartment package was still in the glove compartment with everything pertaining to a sliding roof wagon and more. Then I took out the Auto Record At-A-Glance book that I bought in 1964 from Midwest Office Supply for $1.65. I had the book with me when I picked up the car at the plant at Hamilton, Ontario and I started recording information starting the same day. For example, the first fill up was on 5/5/64 at Windsor, Ontario- 12.8 gallons, total $2.95, gas mileage 18.8 mpg. I ran out of space for gas and oil at 81.613.2 miles so I went to a second book. The last fill up in the first book was 14.9 gallons for $4.00. The original book showed oil purchases at usually 50 cents a quart and STP for 75 cents a can.

In the same book I recorded tire miles. The Wagonaire was fitted with Firestone 500 whitewall tires at the factory. At 23,645.8 miles I liked them so much (CASO) that I took them off and had them recapped- $36 for four (kept one original for the spare). The recaps were worn out by 32,831.4 so I bought a set of new Firestone 500 whitewalls $94 for four. At 53511 the Firestones were replaced with Michelin tube-type radials ($184.28 for four). They made it to 102,930 where they were replaced with a set of cheap General tires ($103 for four). Those were replaced at 118,474.5 with a set of General Jet tires. I still have those, but not on the car. I bought a set of 195s15 radials which I later gave to Bob Palma for his white Daytona sedan (the 195s were too small for the wagon). I replaced them with a set of Firestone 215x75x15 radials which came off the car last week (over 10 years old), replaced by a set of 215x75x15 Coopers with date code of 02 17.

I also recorded lubrications and repairs, but there is too much there though you might be interested to know that I got a whole new overdrive under warranty at approximately 2,000 miles (factory hadn't put any oil in it).
    Attached Files
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Really neat stuff Paul! When I get a car, I always start out recording those things, but the longer I have it the more lax I get . You have been very diligent in your documentation.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Thanks for the post. I enjoyed the numbers, and the way things changed as the years went by. It's amusing in this day and age to here a story about somebody recapping passenger car tires. My father used to sell "sawdust" snow tires. They were a recap with sawdust spread throughout the rubber. As the tire wore and the sawdust came out, you had new traction. ( They didn't last real well).
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
        For example, the original glove compartment package was still in the glove compartment with everything pertaining to a sliding roof wagon and more.
        I guess one can add that 'Wagonaire-only' instruction sheet to this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=glove

Craig

Comment

Paul, what is the best MPG that you have recorded for the Wagonaire? Would it achieve 25 mpg with a lot of highway driving?
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            Paul, what is the best MPG that you have recorded for the Wagonaire? Would it achieve 25 mpg with a lot of highway driving?
            I was thinking that was miles per imperial gallon, since he gassed up and calculated MPG in Windsor, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              I think the best I ever got was just over 23 mpg coming from a South Bend International to Virginia. That was almost entirely on turnpikes and interstates.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                I was thinking that was miles per imperial gallon, since he gassed up and calculated MPG in Windsor, Ontario
                I think you're right. I may not have even known the difference then.

Comment

An interesting post indeed, Paul; thanks.

BTW, those P195/75R15s wound up on my Wagonaire. Figure the odds of the same set of tires being "run" on two separate Astra White 1964 Daytona Wagonaires hundreds of miles apart! They're doing just fine. Thanks again for them. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My Dad for years would start a new record book with every car he bought. "Standard Pocket Roll Book", used by teachers. On the left side page he would always record the date, mileage reading, gallons purchased, and cost, for every tank of gas, and the right side page was for various notes about repairs, trips taken, etc. This is a tradition that I'm glad I continued. I still have a lot of the old books of his from various cars of yesteryear, and they make interesting reading for a car and numbers nut like myself. Another benefit we didn't think of at the time was that the notes made while on vacation trips were helpful years later for researching the early family days. "What year was that when we went to Michigan?", for example. It's all in there.

Comment

In England, a 'Logbook' can add up to 10% of the value of a used car, especially if its from when the car was new, and all the necessary work was performed at its regularly scheduled intervals.

Craig

Comment

Paul:
                        Super post! I had never seen the envelope for the glove box or the special insert for the Wagonaire. Thanks for posting! And thanks for getting the Wagonaire back on the road again!
                        Nick

Comment

Every one of my vehicles has a log book. Just a cheap "memo pad" with spiral wire. Front section has maintenance & repairs listed but I've not usually included the cost, just date, mileage, and what was done. The back half has fuel fills with date, miles, and gallons but no costs. Data mostly for calculating MPG if I so desire but seldom do.

Last vehicle I got was my 2006 Subaru. I am at least the 3rd owner, probably 4th. I found a bunch of pages of logbook info torn out of I think owner #2's logbook in the car and also got some info from carfax and the local dealer where owner #3 had stuff done printed out their records for me. I entered all that stuff in my new logbook for the car and of course adding my own data onto that. Its good to know how old ARE those tires, or when WAS the last time the coolant was flushed out, etc.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            In England, a 'Logbook' can add up to 10% of the value of a used car, especially if its from when the car was new, and all the necessary work was performed at its regularly scheduled intervals.

Craig
                            I am another one that keeps all kinds of records, especially fuel and service. I believe that it has helped the sale, especially for cars that I bought new and drove for years.
                            One car that I had owned for nine years, I listed how many miles since various repairs, like brakes and exhaust were done (recent) on the for sale sign on the window. The guy that ended up buying the car thought that I was stating how long before I thought that these repairs were needed. When he learned that all of items had been recently done, he felt much better about the car. .
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I use a log book as well, but have it on my computer to do the math automatically for me. Besides capturing the gas mileage, I list the items and who I got them from, plus a vendors used list with contact names/phone numbers. I also include to do items with the date I added the to to the list. All helps, as you say in maintains the vehicle. I try not to look at how much I have spent, as that does get crazy!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X