Are there still "beaters" out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there still "beaters" out there?

You know, we've all seen them decades ago. The rusted smoking pile of junk driven by " non collectors". Or, were they mostly all gone by the mid '70s?

That kind of car is still out there, but most are newer than you are probably thinking of. Also they don't smoke as bad as the old ones did because of the way they are configured. Many would consider the 89 model pickup I drive a beater, but it got that way by honest use and not plan.
    I remember in the early 70s a man who drove a 34 Chevy sedan everywhere about town. It was one of the more unusual "beaters" around here. When I finally saw it up close and saw how much rust it had I realized it would probably never be restored anyway. Of course, now the younger set would declare it a "rat rod" and take it to shows after adding some ridiculous junk in various places.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Since you have posted this in the "general" forum, I'm assuming you are limiting your comments to Studebaker. But, like anything in the ever changing dynamic of human existence, "Beater" is subject to interpretation. Beater Studebakers were around in the seventies, and into the '80's, because that's the period I acquired my "collector" Studebakers. Since, one man's "beater" is another man's "collectible."

Almost every make, every model, and year of manufacture, of any car ever produced, seems to devolve into "Beater" status in some way during its functional life. Some, almost as soon as they leave the dealer lot, and others "down the road." (Pun intended.) The ones that make it through the "Beater" period to "Collector" status enjoy what I call "Redemption." Usually, because they represent an "iconic" status, representing a period, or an association with something "popularized" in the movies. If only I had a "Visionary" talent to match my Automobile enthusiasm, I could have made a fortune flipping collector cars that crossed my path through the years. Many of us could probably make that statement with certainty.

I suppose, regarding Studebaker,(or any other make) the possibility of "Beater," is more regional (southwest) where environmental survival is most likely. The sad part of finding one in Beater status today, would be where a car that was once cared for lovingly by a Collector, falls into the hands of an unappreciative survivor of a deceased owner. I've seen this more than I'd like to admit.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You are certainly right about the visionary talent. Many of the "beaters" that I saw sell for $200 -$500, are now bring tens of thousands. People are asking $5000 for an old truck cab, on a chassis with no drive train. The beater that I presently drive to work is a 96 Toyota PU. It runs good, but is definitely " beat up".
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I used to drive beater cars in the Winter. Inexpensive beater cars are now much older and more miles/worn as cars in general (2000s) last longer than the 1950s-1970s models did. I now drive cars that are much older than the beaters were when I drove them. My "old" everyday use cars now look and drive close to new. Of course, the price of beater cars has gone up, not only due to inflation but also state inspection, title, registration, insurance, etc.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm always on the lookout for beater Larks to soak up the winter salt here in New England. Also saves rust on my nicer, late model car. Problem is, by now, the beaters are in the south or SW, and as stated above.... no longer a few hundred $$$ in running condition. If anyone out there has a running, never to be restored driving "beater"... give me a shout. Lark parts are thick on the ground and the vendors are happy to get rid of them...... Another problem is shipping to here..... If I were younger and had the time, I'd do a "drive away" with AAA and credit card.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

Almost every make, every model, and year of manufacture, of any car ever produced, seems to devolve into "Beater" status in some way during its functional life. Some, almost as soon as they leave the dealer lot, and others "down the road." (Pun intended.) The ones that make it through the "Beater" period to "Collector" status enjoy what I call "Redemption." Usually, because they represent an "iconic" status, representing a period, or an association with something "popularized" in the movies.

...The sad part of finding one in Beater status today, would be where a car that was once cared for lovingly by a Collector, falls into the hands of an unappreciative survivor of a deceased owner. I've seen this more than I'd like to admit.
              Good points all. The misbegotten Pontiac Aztek quickly became an object of pretty much universal ridicule and contempt. Along came a film called Breaking Bad. Suddenly these things became a sort of cult object. I skipped the film, remain unmoved about the Aztek.

In the early seventies, there was an unfortunate guy called "Studebaker Jim" who called his black/red '55 Commander Regal coupe home, slept in the car in the parking lot of a Texaco station on Long Beach Boulevard. My own 56J was well on its way to beater status when I scraped together the $275 to buy it, the $25 a month for a rented garage space to start giving first aid.

For several decades, many Studebakers made the transition from beater to collectible because a small corps of enthusiasts already existed and a quality club was formed.

The slide of a cherished collectible back to beater status is a sorry thing. My wife's nephew has always expressed interest in my vintage stuff, enjoys admiring glances while he takes one for a cruise. But I know well that his inclinations are more for the new cars leased every couple of years, all pretty much disposable in his mind. Hands-on care of anything has never crossed his mind, has no understanding of a real collectible, never well. Gave him a very decent '56 VW oval window that he had been craving. A passing cat peed on a hubcap one day. Response? "Shouldn't we take it to the car wash? Maybe get it detailed?'" Hopeless case. Fortunately for the beetle, he sold it fairly quickly.
              Gil Zimmerman
              Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
              1956 Golden Hawk
              1958 Packard Hawk
              1958 President
              1963 Avanti R2

Comment

As far as contemporary (i.e. non-Studebaker) beaters, things like Toyota small trucks seem to run almost forever, regardless of the cosmetics.

Gil
                Gil Zimmerman
                Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                1956 Golden Hawk
                1958 Packard Hawk
                1958 President
                1963 Avanti R2

Comment

What's the difference between a beater and survivor?
                  I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Don't know 'xactly...but, I suppose it can be possible for a car to survive being a beater.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
                      What's the difference between a beater and survivor?
                      Hopefully, a survivor has been treated with some respect and is an example of preservation. A beater has no such luck, simply cheap wheels, an ultimately disposable method of transportation.
                      Gil Zimmerman
                      Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                      1956 Golden Hawk
                      1958 Packard Hawk
                      1958 President
                      1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Too many times a beater has been given a cheap paint job and a set of fancy wheels, covering up the fact that it may not be safe to drive but looks OK.
                        Guess I'd rather see beaters without that camouflage so I can be prepared for anything that might happen or fly off into my path.
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

You must have driven by my house and seen my driveway... My beater 63 Avanti... My beater 56 Wagon... and my beater 54 Coupe, (which is actually hidden in the sometimes open garage).
                          sals54

Comment

Long gone are the cheapys. My first 3 Hawks, 59 Silver, 57 Golden, 61 4 speed were $200 each. 63 Avanti $1600 and 63 Corvette $1600. Have parlayed them and several others to have my current fleet.

Denny L

Comment

Mike Elling wrote an article several (!) years ago detailing this in regards to Studebakers. He was spot on as far as the car status change from fairly new car to transportation to the rest of the way down the chain. I don't know what happened to the article but it is a good read. Anyone have a copy? Last time I saw Mike was at our table at the banquet at the Nashville Meet.

Bob Miles
                              Tucson AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X