Fuel to the Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel to the Carb

I have a see through fuel filter in front of my fuel pump on my '63 Hawk so no debris there might be can get into the pump. It's been this way for years and lately I've noticed that there is hardly any gas in the filter when running. Not even half full, when before it used to be completely full. Is this something I should worry about or not?
    On a related item, my Hawk has a 3.73 rear ratio and after my last fill up she got a little less than 10mpg. I haven't been doing any highway or pedal to the floor driving so I can't believe this is normal. I've recently tuned the carb (20% leaner than it was before). Plugs are nice light brown in color and doesn't smoke a bit. Thoughts?

If the rear axle is 3.73, does the car have an overdrive? Unless you are drag racing, or built up a R 4 super engine, I would think 3.73 is too high, numerically.

3.31 went in most of the automatics, and the four speeds would either be 3.31 or 3.54. Usually a 3.73 would be coupled to an overdrive.

Oh, and most of the clear fuel filters I see don't get full when running.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoHawk View Post
      On a related item, my Hawk has a 3.73 rear ratio and after my last fill up she got a little less than 10mpg. I haven't been doing any highway or pedal to the floor driving so I can't believe this is normal. I've recently tuned the carb (20% leaner than it was before). Plugs are nice light brown in color and doesn't smoke a bit. Thoughts?
      Check your vacuum advance, make sure your centrifugal advance mechanism is free and not worn so much that it is not advancing, and make sure your initial timing is correct.

What was the mileage previously?
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Poster shows Colorado as point of driving (now?). If the car was purchased new in mountain geo, its likely both R/A and carb were set up for that region(altitude & grades)..... but who can say...

Comment

Mileage has never been that great, but I would think a 289 should get at least 15mpg. I just replaced the vacuum advance unit with the correct one (old one wasn't advancing till it saw 15" of vacuum, new one with 9") Initial timing is set at 8 deg BTDC. Back when it was my daily driver while going to college, the 500 mile drive from here in Denver to Albuquerque, NM took 2 full tanks so about 13 mpg on the highway at 60. While at school, the original 3.31 axle housing cracked and my dad sent me what we had available at the time, the 3.73 that's been there ever since. I got the car as a graduation present 33 years ago in Fresno, CA and took her back home here to Colorado.

Comment

Definitely consider a more advantageous rear ratio such as a 3.31 or 3.07 and ensure that all engine functions are within specs to include a compression test.

Other considerations include tire pressure, lubrication and a clean intake filter. With today's lousy gas I've found that by using a brand name usually yields an extra two or three mpg...

Comment

Mileage has never been that great, but I would think a 289 should get at least 15mpg. I just replaced the vacuum advance unit with the correct one (old one wasn't advancing till it saw 15" of vacuum, new one with 9") Initial timing is set at 8 deg BTDC. Back when it was my daily driver while going to college, the 500 mile drive from here in Denver to Albuquerque, NM took 2 full tanks so about 13 mpg on the highway at 60. While at school, the original 3.31 axle housing cracked and my dad sent me what we had available at the time, the 3.73 that's been there ever since. I got the car as a graduation present 33 years ago in Fresno, CA and took her back home here to Colorado.
              I agree with GrumpyOne's suggestion to change the rear axle ratio.

We are unaware of the type of transmission in your Hawk. Should we assume that it is an automatic, or would you be kind enough to reveal what type of transmission is in the car?
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-17-2017, 06:59 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

My Hawk has a 4-speed manual as well as a full 360 deg round K&N air filter.

Comment

Have you washed and re-oiled your K&N filter lately? I am curious if you would increase your mileage by going back to a dry element filter.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

My Hawk has a 4-speed manual as well as a full 360 deg round K&N air filter.
                    It should do very well with a 3.31 or a 3.07 then, as you have more choices of gears than with an automatic. It's probably more effort than you are ready for, though. I understand that. But... the longevity of the engine will increase if you lower the RPMs a bit.

Comment

What about the original question regarding fuel to the carb?

Comment

Air is getting into the fuel line between the tank and fuel pump and showing up in the see thru filter. probably a rotten spot in fuel line.this could be an indication of a problem later down the road. do you ever smell gas when around car after sitting? which carb do you have AFB or clone? Luck Doofus

Comment

I was kind of thinking the same thing Doofus, even though I have never smelled gas around the car even after sitting. I have the original Carter AFB 3540S.

Comment

I smell gas after driving and parking back in garage. 57 Commander 259. New fuel lines, pump and carb rebuilt by Dave T. No complaints on driveability. Car can sit 4-6 weeks and starts within 15 seconds.

Comment

Tim333 you could have a pin hole in tank that has gas evaporating as it seeps out and doesn't drip.Colorado hawk reason i ask about carb is AFB is a little harder to tune than clone as far as metering rod spring color is concerned. if engine checks out what about tires? Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                              X