PDA

View Full Version : Huge Update Today???

jclary
06-15-2017, 08:49 AM
I don't belong to the popular "social media" sites, I thought I'd post this on our Stove Huggers forum. Last night, when getting ready to turn in, I noticed when turning off my computer, there was the message "updating, do not turn off or disconnect power until complete"... I'm not certain if those are the exact words, but most of us are familiar with this, and know the computer will eventually turn off after it does its "thing."

So...this morning, when I turned on the computer, it launched into another huge "updating" exercise. In doing so, I noticed a message with flying numbers like "1,999 of 40,226" complete. Of course, the numbers on the left were racing faster than a rocket launch headed for the space station. After several minutes, those numbers finally equaled, indicating that part was complete, and then it launched another exercise with the message "Configuring Updates."

Also, my operating system on my iPhone updated this morning.

Therefore, (and this question has run through my mind before) I am curious if all these "updates" are "World Wide Web" wide, regional, or what???:confused: When such a huge "update" is experienced, does it affect everyone? Is it regional? Just folks with old computers? Since my computer is "Windows," and the iPhone is "Apple," is the update for both on the same morning coincidental???

Just thought I'd throw this out to see if others have had a similar experience.:confused:

t walgamuth
06-15-2017, 09:19 AM
I think it might be the Russians.:)

Chris Pile
06-15-2017, 09:36 AM
Yes, it's normal. Just got a fresh update, too. Nothing to worry about.

DEEPNHOCK
06-15-2017, 09:50 AM
Microsoft just did an update to all of it's software.

I would make sure to update all of your spyware and malware software, and tighten up your firewall.

Remember the law that was just passed about Internet software being able to look into your computer?

jclary
06-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Yes, it's normal. Just got a fresh update, too. Nothing to worry about.

Not worried, just curious. Wondering what kicks off such events? Who decides? Where is the location of the "gate keeper?" Are updates accumulated and then initiated? Is there a particular series of threats that cause the "big" updates?

As for the Russians...I think I've located a pic of their leading hackers:rolleyes:;)

http://bigpicture.ru/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/russianinventions01.jpg

j.byrd
06-15-2017, 12:52 PM
jclary, this does seem to be "normal", and I have a very definite answer about what it does: Slows down and screws up my computer for at least 2 days...every time. Just think, soon all of our modern "throw-away" cars will also come to a screeching halt, update, reconfigure, then go sputtering off down the road until they "clear up"..Carburetors, points and condensers, radiators, driveshafts to the rear, and 3 pedals forever, Ha !

shifter4
06-15-2017, 01:02 PM
Also , along this line , I seem to be getting Adobe updates constantly . They seem to sneak in some little Pop-Ups along
with their updates as well.
I have my pop up blocker turned on , but they still get in there .

I am on a Mac .

bumpkinvilledano
06-15-2017, 03:55 PM
I think it might be the Russians.:)

It's usually aliens. Dang ole aliens.:D

sweetolbob
06-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Not worried, just curious. Wondering what kicks off such events? Who decides? Where is the location of the "gate keeper?" Are updates accumulated and then initiated? Is there a particular series of threats that cause the "big" updates? http://bigpicture.ru/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/russianinventions01.jpg

Microsoft, of course, If you are talking about Win 10. W-10 has been called the "last" iteration of the Windows family. From here-on, according to MS, the operating system will just be subject to updates to improve/add features. You'll get them as developed or driven by necessity.

Just the messenger - :) Bob

Skip Lackie
06-15-2017, 06:18 PM
As Jeff said, Microsoft sends out updates every week, plus emergency patches whenever a previously-unknown threat appears. Most are made in the background, but some big ones require a full reboot. I left my laptop on last night, but when I poked it this morning, it had obviously shut down overnight and required me to log in again. Most of us have our computers and phones set for automatic updates, but you can set it so that it asks your permission every time. This is generally not recommended, as you could miss an important one.