PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Commander Starlight exterior sunvisor

Ivko
06-14-2017, 10:49 AM
hi to all!

i´m new here and i live in Austira/Vienna in Europe. I made a dream come true and bought an 1951 Commander Starlight Coupe.

Now i´m searching for an exterior windshield sunvisor/sunshade. has they been produced by studebaker or an aftermarket company?

i hope you can help me and have one for sale, i even have an shipping adress in the usa! because i have no more splitted windows i would prefer any without center fixing.

thanks

-Ivko

rockne10
06-14-2017, 03:26 PM
You could check with Big Jim. http://bigjims.net/visors.htm

RadioRoy
06-15-2017, 06:43 PM
In general, Studebaker bodies are narrower than most other postwar brands. The Fulton and Comet aftermarket sun shields have sliding sections to compensate for various mounting widths. Even so, I had to cut mine before it would go narrow enough.

If you cannot find an actual, official Studebaker sun shield, be sure to get one of the universal ones than can be modified/cut to fit. One piece sun shields made for Fords and Chevvy's will not fit.

Ivko
06-20-2017, 07:15 AM
thank you! i know about bigjims, but i would prefer an original one. Rockne10 are you using an BigJims sunvisor on your white one?

does maybe somebody else have an idea or a shade for sale?

thanks

rockne10
06-21-2017, 08:54 PM
...are you using an BigJims sunvisor on your white one? No. My '51 was returned to service over a quarter century ago and the NOS visor arrived in a factory sealed Studebaker parts box. Back then that was not uncommon.

RadioRoy
06-22-2017, 05:28 PM
No. My '51 was returned to service over a quarter century ago and the NOS visor arrived in a factory sealed Studebaker parts box. Back then that was not uncommon.

Those were the days! They are almost gone now, but what a thrill it was to find an accessory for your car and have it be NOS.

Ivko
06-27-2017, 05:30 PM
fine!

does nobody have an sunvisor for me :(

ps: have to get notifications on replies?

unclemiltie
06-28-2017, 06:41 PM
I have one off a 50 Commander, it is a Fulton and has the center support that attaches behind the hood where the weather strip is. I was getting ready to list on Ebay, if interested please send me a Private Message

RadioRoy
07-28-2017, 02:23 PM
eBay is a good place to research things like this. There is a lot of mis-information, but one can see and learn a lot.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2057872.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xfulton+sun+visor.TRS0&_nkw=fulton+sun+visor&_sacat=0

wdills
07-28-2017, 03:20 PM
I just bought an original Fulton with the center roof bracket for my Dad's 50 Starlight. The guy I bought it from has a lot of original Fulton visors that he has restored. He is not cheap but the visor I got was very nice. PM me if interested and I will forward you his contact info.

RadioRoy
07-28-2017, 08:57 PM
does maybe somebody else have an idea or a shade for sale?

thanks

Unclemiltie says he has one.