1955 Commander: intake removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1955 Commander: intake removal

Finally taking steps to remove cylinder head to drill out a broken exhaust manifold bolt and wanted some knowledge on something I noticed when removing the intake manifold.

There is this hook looking thing under the intake manifold that hooks into the middle hole in the cylinder head. It goes through the intake manifold and curls around to attach to the choke on the carb.

Can someone explain to me the mechanics of this hook thing? How does this technology work and what is it used for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1754165 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0820.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1754166
    Attached Files

There is a temperature sensitive coil spring inside the choke housing that the metal tube attaches to on the side of the carburetor. When that spring is cold, it holds the choke shut. After you start the engine, warm air from the metal tube that loops into the exhaust tube of the intake manifold is pulled into the choke housing. The warm air causes the spring to relax and uncoil, allowing the vacuum piston to pull the choke open.

There is a more detailed explanation for the Stromberg carburetor on pages 48 and 49 of the gasoline system section in the 59-64 shop manual. I don't have a manual for the '55 Studebaker, but I'm sure the description in that manual is very similar.

Dale
    Last edited by blackhawk; 06-14-2017, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Just for the record, the carburetor and manifold pictured is a '62 - '64 era setup.

Comment

Very helpful, thank you both.

Next up... cylinder head removal.

Comment

Working...
        X