Delco Window V8 Distributor Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delco Window V8 Distributor Needed

I am interested in putting a Delco window distributor in a '61 Hawk. Anyone have a ready to use one available? Anyone see a reason not to use one in a Hawk?

JK

Those ARE good Distributors, but their popularity has seriously dropped since the Pertronix Electronic Ignition Systems became available for ANY car with a Distributor.

The big advantage was being able to set the Points with the Dist. in the Car and running, but if you ever plan on Electronic Ignition a Window is not important at all.

The "Early Delco you have is every bit as good, and all the replaceable parts fit ALL GM BOP & Cad. '49 to at least '54.

The Distributor & Cap will be closer to the firewall with the Window Dist. but it will fit fine.

The main reason that '60-61 Hawks do not have the Window Dist. is that the Tachometer Pickup/Sending Unit for the Optional Tach. only fits the Early Delco Dist.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-13-2017, 07:28 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich,

Where do I get the guts to convert to the Petronix and what is the cost? I have a Mallory Uni-Lite from Dave T. but it is for another build. The conversion may be the better way to go. I have a 61 Hawk with a tach but the tach is toast and the coil was removed from the distributor by the previous owner. I plan to install a modern Stewart Warner unit anyway.

JK

Comment

I looked on their web site and they need a part number. My tag is all but gone so I got a number off Bob Johnstone's site so I think I am good. I assume I still use a stock rotor and cap?

JK

Comment

Pertronix is OK and not real spendy. The unit is about $90 and the coil is $40. Call Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker 937-878-7712. I prefer window type distributor 'cause it is easier to change and adjust points but with Pertronix you can forget about that. Cost of a good distributor would not be less than Pertronix. Yes, use cap and rotor ; unit replaces points and condenser. You should not use resistor wire tho; you want full 12v to the unit.

Comment

If you use a window distributor in a Hawk and the motor mounts are bad and you hit a big bump , your distributor may hit the firewall and break.
            This happened to me with my 1961 Hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
              I looked on their web site and they need a part number. My tag is all but gone so I got a number off Bob Johnstone's site so I think I am good. I assume I still use a stock rotor and cap?

JK
              1187 LS is the Pertronix part number for early Delco distributors. That number appears on the plate and the module # is 46T-LSS.

Comment

Holly Crap,

I checked the archives, lo' and behold, I have one from a previously motor salvage. Call off the search. I may still want a non-window Delco though for the 61 Hawk and leave the windowed one alone. I you have a '61, non-widow Delco that is good I may be interested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1644.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1715337Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1645.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1715338Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1646.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB