Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATE - Modified 1956 Golden Hawk project available in Monroe, WA - pictures and inspection report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE - Modified 1956 Golden Hawk project available in Monroe, WA - pictures and inspection report

This is only a few miles from me. Let me know if anyone wants me to go look at it.

Last edited by Mark L; 06-29-2017, 05:35 PM.
    Mark L

Mentioned here earlier today.

Comment

Yep, I was the one who posted it. I think post #2 above was meant to appear in the other post.
      Mark L

Comment

I like that color combination. The photo may be misleading, but it appears to be a very good deal. Mark, if you want an excuse to go look at it, do the forum a favor and go look at it.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Being biased about seeing this post. The body looks in pretty good shape and if the interior was similarly the same, don't get the reason for doing this hatchet job. Packard 352" parts are not scarce for '56 year / mode, which is scarce. I took a car that was far worse condition to restore. If I was in the market, I'd consider taking the car back to its originality - with just over 400 cars known surviving in the 56J Register. But, only MHO

Click image for larger version

Name:	10399453_1123046519748_7763870_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1714056 Click image for larger version

Name:	940909_10206322162076315_2567290312850628190_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1714057
          Richard
          sigpic

Comment

I agree with Packard 352. If you want a Chevy, why not start with an old Chevy?
            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
              Because a 1956 Chevy is not even near as nice looking as a 56 Golden Hawk...
              Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
                /Cut/If I was in the market, I'd consider taking the car back to its originality - with just over 400 cars known surviving in the 56J Register. But, only MHO
                Right Richard, there will NEVER be more of these than there are today, so why destroy one.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I got off work earlier than normal today, and I saw the price on this Hawk was lowered by $1,000. I finally had time, so I went and took a look at it:

1956 Golden Hawk, s/n 6031799, body 56 J K7 2203. The seller's father found the car for sale in Everett WA around 2011. It had been in a garage for 35+ years after having last been registered in 1973. It was mostly original with the Packard 352 and an automatic, but did not run. He took it home and started a restoration, but he passed away in 2014 before finishing it.

For the most part, the body and interior have not been touched. Only modest disassembly to get at the body bolts to separate the body from the frame. It appears he focused on the frame and drive line. Cut the forward frame and welded in a Nova front frame with disc brakes and a custom cross-member. Small-block Chevy 350 with a T-5 manual. Limited slip rear end/axle from a 1988 Camaro with disc brakes.

Body has some rust, floors seem good, interior of the trunk is rusty but I didn't see any holes. There is some body rust on the left belt line just behind the driver's door. The driver's door window is cracked. The headliner is partially hanging down. The chrome/stainless looks OK and it seems to be all there. The body is only loosely installed on the frame. It does roll, but the brakes and steering are not connected. The seller may attempt to connect the steering and get some brake lines/hoses installed.

The seller and his wife are moving out of state. They'd like to be off the property by the end of July, and they're not taking the car with them. If he can't sell it, he may give it to his brother. The Hawk and several other projects (late 60s Camaro, mid-50s F-100 custom) need to be cleared out so they can sell the place. Price is now $2,500. If interested, contact the seller through the Craigslist link. The seller's name is Norman.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1956_Golden_Hawk.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1715369 Click image for larger version

Name:	sn_tag_02.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1715370 Click image for larger version

Name:	secret_sn.jpg
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1715371 Click image for larger version

Name:	body_tag.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1715372 Click image for larger version

Name:	driver_interior.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1715373 Click image for larger version

Name:	gauges.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1715374 Click image for larger version

Name:	odometer.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1715375 Click image for larger version

Name:	radio_clock.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1715376 Click image for larger version

Name:	headliner.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1715377 Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_seat.jpg
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1715378
                  Last edited by Mark L; 06-29-2017, 06:33 PM.
                  Mark L

Comment

more pictures:

Last edited by Mark L; 06-29-2017, 06:30 PM.
                    Mark L

Comment

engine and frame:

Mark L

Comment

I loved my Chevy 350! But that was in a very early seventies Camaro, where I'm inclined to believe it belonged. Or in my old 2-door Yukon. The Packard engine is the heart and soul of these things.

Gil

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                        Gil Zimmerman
                        Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                        1956 Golden Hawk
                        1958 Packard Hawk
                        1958 President
                        1963 Avanti R2

Comment

I asked if he still had the Packard engine and the automatic. He said they looked for it, but can't find it, so they think his father sold it or gave it away. I think the original batwing was removed and replaced with a custom-made cross-member that has holes through it for the custom headers/exhaust.
                          Mark L

Comment

Sounds like it's passed the point of no return. So perhaps a decent project for somebody looking for an alternative to parting it out completely. I still prefer my Chevy small blocks in a sleek early Camaro SS350, but that's just a personal thing. Hope it works out for somebody who wants to do this and create a very individualized machine for personal satisfaction

Originally posted by Mark L View Post
                            I asked if he still had the Packard engine and the automatic. He said they looked for it, but can't find it, so they think his father sold it or gave it away. I think the original batwing was removed and replaced with a custom-made cross-member that has holes through it for the custom headers/exhaust.
                            Gil Zimmerman
                            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                            1956 Golden Hawk
                            1958 Packard Hawk
                            1958 President
                            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Regardless of what's under the hood, the 1956 Golden Hawk is one of the most beautiful cars ever created. $2500 seems very cheap, and the modifications should make for a great driving automobile.
                              sigpic
                              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                              X