X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring back the Studebaker!

Robert Kapteyn

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
    Love it! Too funny! I am a long time Garrison Keillor fan.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Let's have some respect for those that did vote for our president. And let's keep the political references off of our forum. Whaddya say to both?
      1950 Commander Land Cruiser
      1951 Champion Business Coupe
      1951 Commander Starlight
      1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
      1953 Champion Starlight
      1953 Commander Starliner
      1953 2R5
      1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
      1957 Silver Hawk
      1957 3E5 Pick-Up
      1959 Silver Hawk
      1961 Hawk
      1962 Cruiser 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Convertible
      1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
      1965 Cruiser
      1970 Avanti

Comment

Oh, and a little respect for the President himself might not hurt, either...
        1950 Commander Land Cruiser
        1951 Champion Business Coupe
        1951 Commander Starlight
        1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
        1953 Champion Starlight
        1953 Commander Starliner
        1953 2R5
        1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
        1957 Silver Hawk
        1957 3E5 Pick-Up
        1959 Silver Hawk
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Cruiser 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Convertible
        1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
        1965 Cruiser
        1970 Avanti

Comment

I'm not even going to read it.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
            Where I come from respect is earned...

I have seen Garrison Keillor live and always enjoyed A Prairie Home Companion.
            Last edited by Guido; 06-12-2017, 08:33 AM. Reason: Add "A" before Prairie

Comment

Garrison has still got it that individual respect is earned not given - thanks for posting

Comment

I am also a long time Garrison Keillor fan. But along the way I mostly tune out his unabashed political bias. Ditto for Jay Leno during his occasional hostile (and painful to watch) partisan interviews on his old show. Jay was way out of his league trying that. Always fawning shamelessly over his favorites, petulant and scowling at others.

I did just read Garrison's piece, it's (for Keillor) fairly mild. Unfortunately, such topics here are hopelessly polarizing. Little like putting oversize "Resist Trump" or "Make America Great Again" bumper stickers on your Hawk. They change no minds, just an equal opportunity annoyance, despite the enticing Studebaker reference in Keillor's headline.

Besides, I prefer bumper stickers to be more nuanced with political content. This banner is the one and only sticker I've put on a car since the '60 election.

Come to think of it, a few billion devoted to resurrecting the '51 Land Cruiser production line might be about as useful as some of the cash thrown at other exercises in futility, including a few failed (but politically connected) green energy enterprises.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by riversidevw; 06-12-2017, 10:02 AM.
                Gil Zimmerman
                Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                1956 Golden Hawk
                1958 Packard Hawk
                1958 President
                1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Keillor is as funny as a rupture (and nearly as damaging).
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I wonder if he really means it about the '51 Studebaker or is being tongue in cheek?

And I never thought of Jabba the Hutt as being either to the Left or Right.

Anyway, the '51 Stude is my all time favorite old car.
                    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Well, he is just wrong. We need to bring back the 53 not the 51.
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Garrison Keillor has been making fun of presidents since Gerald Ford. He has made no secret of his Democratic leanings, and so he probably is a bit tougher on Republicans than Democrats. But most of his targets deserved it, especially Clinton and Trump. If you don't do stupid things, then probably nobody will make fun of you. At least the 51 Studebaker got mentioned in a bunch of newspapers.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          Garrison Keillor has been making fun of presidents since Gerald Ford. He has made no secret of his Democratic leanings, and so he probably is a bit tougher on Republicans than Democrats. But most of his targets deserved it, especially Clinton and Trump. If you don't do stupid things, then probably nobody will make fun of you. At least the 51 Studebaker got mentioned in a bunch of newspapers.
                          How would Will Rogers be received today? He said at one time:
                          " I belong to no organized party. I'm a Democrat"
                          "I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."
                          "Alexander Hamilton started the U.S. Treasury with nothing, and that was the closest our country has ever been to being even."
                          "About all I can say for the United States Senate is that it opens with a prayer and closes with an investigation."
                          "A fool and his money are soon elected."
                          "This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer."
                          "Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated."
                          "The man with the best job in the country is the vice-president. All he has to do is get up every morning and say, "How is the president?"

Even though these quotes are over 80 years old, somehow they still have a zing. Could you imagine what one side or the other would say today?
                          I shudder at the thought. He was a great American Humorist and patriot.

Bob Miles
                          Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                            Denny, remember, political references off the forum. And, Chris, the most perfect sarcasm is that which hits almost dead center. Laughter is the best medicine.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

One of my favorite humorists quotes is "Politicians should be changed like diapers, often, and for the same reason." (Mark Twain)
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X