Boogles my mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boogles my mind

It amazes me with all the 50-51 cars around that there isn't anyone doing a registry on them . Perhaps someone with one of those cars can clear this question up for me . Who knows maybe even volunteer to take on managing one for the 50 - 51 's .

Old Fart

I remember Boogle being a board game...I guess I just don't understand the point of all these registries.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
      I guess I just don't understand the point of all these registries.
      Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I agree. There seems to be a "registry" for every model Studebaker ever made lately.

I had a few Studes pass through my hands that I added to registries, and have added friend's cars to a few too. I never received anything beneficial in return.

With the exception of the one that Frank Ambrogio keeps for 56J's, I've yet to see a registry that offered anything other than adding names to a list. And what's the point of that?

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
        Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I agree. There seems to be a "registry" for every model Studebaker ever made lately.
        Yeah, so?

I had a few Studes pass through my hands that I added to registries, and have added friend's cars to a few too. I never received anything beneficial in return.
        Do you want to get paid for every vehicle you register?

With the exception of the one that Frank Ambrogio keeps for 56J's, I've yet to see a registry that offered anything other than adding names to a list. And what's the point of that?
        Maybe someone is hunting for the Studebaker their dad bought new. Pretty easy to check a registry for it.
        Besides, you are not being forced to register your vehicle. And my registries do not show the owners name.
        Rick
        Kingman, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post

Besides, you are not being forced to register your vehicle. And my registries do not show the owners name.
          One of the perks I've seen of these registries is to "meet other people that have the same car as you". If there's no name given, then it's just a list of serial numbers?

I'm only trying to learn what the advantage is to having registries for every model Studebaker, and what are the perks of adding my car to one?

Comment

Instead of being nah sayers read the last comments of mbstude and sasquatch . Knowing how many of your car or truck also helps you to determine it's value if you decide to sell it . Another benefit is you get to know others with the same and if you have a problem there are others out there that might be able to help .And if you re-read my post you will see what I meant .Unfortunately there isn't a registry for every year made and that is sad.

Old Fart

Comment

Boggle is a word game, same thing happens to minds occasionally. Boogle is a copyrighted web site.

Comment

The problem is that the people on this forum represent a very small percentage of actual Studebaker owners. So adding a vehicle to a registry on this site isn't going to give you access to a greater base of knowledge than if you just query the Forum members. Just seems like a lot of busybody activity by people that have nothing better to do.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  I've yet to see a registry that offered anything other than adding names to a list. And what's the point of that?
                  NOTE: Quote taken out of context.

Matt: I just put a 1963 – 1966 Wagonaire Registry up online. I can’t speak to the value of any other registry but here is what I hope the Wagonaire Registry will accomplish.

The Wagonaire has some pretty unique parts and problems. I hope having a place to contact other Wagonaire owners might be helpful. The public version of any Wagonaire registered is limited to as many as 6 pictures submitted by the owner, the VIN, city, state, and country where it is located. The listing also provides for the owners to list the options which their Wagonaire may have.

The options listing feature is important to help owners with like vehicles contact each other about parts or problems. To protect the privacy of owners, anyone wishing to contact one of the owners may submit a request through the registry along with their own email and it will be passed along to the owner of the vehicle they are interested in contacting. That owner may choose to reply or not reply. From there on it is between them.

As the site matures I hope to be able to add a page for Wagonaires and Wagonaire parts wanted/for sale and perhaps a page for questions and answers. But first we need a meaningful number of Wagonaires on the registry.

The site has been up for about a month or so and the response has been less than encouraging. Still, I intend to maintain it and give it time to meet the expectations I have for it. I know that some of the best information I have found in working on my own Wagonaires is from other owners. We are lucky to have great vendors, like the one you work for, but finding some Wagonaire parts can be a real problem. My hope is to help every Wagonaire owner locate the unique information and parts they need.

The registry is probably of no interest or benefit to anyone but a Wagonaire owner but I hope that it will provide some service to them. Time will tell. If the response isn’t great then it will probably be, as you have noted, just a list of Wagonaires. And that will be okay with me as well. I have enjoyed the contact with other owners, both in the United States and other countries. Some I have had some dialog with via email about their car or car history. I hope others might get to enjoy the same through the registry.

Great to have had the chance to meet you in person. Sorry I had to miss the International. I am working on a parts list for you.
                  Nick

Comment

Nick, thanks for taking the time to sincerely answer my question. I wasn't trying to be negative, it's just that most of these "registries" end up being one individual's list of names and car serial numbers, and nothing more ever develops from it. It sounds like you're on track to accomplish what Frank A. has done for '56 Golden Hawks; making a resource available for other car owners.

One example of what I'm talking about is Ed Capozzi's (SN60 on the forum) registry of '55 Speedsters. I've personally added 3 cars to his list and as far as I know, he has not published his list anywhere, and doesn't intend to. What good is it doing if he only keeps it to himself?

Thanks for taking the time to reply Nick. Always a pleasure to hear from you.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                      I just tried looking at your registry, and neither of the links in your signature work. BTW, I did register my '52 2R6 on your registry when I owned it.

Comment

Nick: You can add my 1964 Daytona Wagonaire to your Registry if you'd like.

Astra White, blue interior, individually-adjustable front seats. Serial Number: 64V15196. We used a good photograph of its Secret Serial number in a discussion of same to appear in the July 2017 Co-Operator in Turning Wheels.

Best wishes with your efforts, and thanks for expending them. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob: I would love it if you could take the time to check out the registry at: wagonaire.info
                          Adding the car yourself along with pictures would provide as much more information as you are willing to add to your listing. I read the co-Operator faithfully. Thanks for all your work in it. I'll be looking for that photograph in July.

If I don't see the registration request in a few days I will go ahead and ad the info above. I am trying to find a set of individually-adjustable front seats, which I see you have. for my White Wagonaire right now. The PO had Ford F150 bucket seats installed and they are quite comfortable & have the shoulder strap but I would prefer to go back to original with the split front seats.
                          Thanks for your interest!
                          Nick

Comment

For as many cars that still exist for the years you mention, I do not think a registry will be helpful if what you want is to know how many are left. It seems quite possible that for every operable 50 or 51 car there are half a dozen (at least) sitting in a field or garage or parts yard or desert. It would maybe be useful to track some cars over their lifetime, but it wouldn't ever be even remotely comprehensive for the total cars still existing.
                            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Scott :
                              You are entitled to your opinion but maybe that is one of the reasons for a registry is to find out how many are still around whether they are in a garage ready for the road or in a field as a cows bum scratching post it doesn't matter to some of us who would like to know . It also has been said before that one owner might have a problem and another owner have a solution so there are uses to registry you just have to think about how it can serve your own needs and interest .

Old Fart

Comment

Working...
                              X